Meds to help anxiety related sweating?

james2009

I noticed a few people on here take different meds. I have heavy underarm sweating, but only when im anxious and nervous about certain things, which i then get nervous about the sweating, which then makes it worst. I can get huge under arm marks.

I was thinking about LSA treatment to destory the sweat glands. Im sure this would work, but seeing as i dont sweat hugely 100% of the time, is there some sort of Med/tablets out there that could help control the anxiety related sweat?

J

hb72

There are a few meds to help with anxiety, first you might want to try beta blockers which are used to control blood pressure by blocking adrenaline this helps with the physical symptoms of anxiety such as tremors, blushing, sweating and a racing heart.The most common beta blocker is inderal and another called atenolol .You could also try benzodiazepines such as xanax and valium to take when you know you are going to be in a anxiety provoking situation.

james2009

do you think i even have hyperhidrosis then? I believe i have some form of it, because when i am anxious, i do seat huge ammounts under my arms, that leave big sweat marks etc.

But im sitting here, and all im doing is thinking about sweating, but im totally, dry because what ever needs to kick start it hasnt done! Such a frustrating situation. In some ways it would be easier if i did sweat all the time if you get me.

Maybe i should just get LSA done and have the glands removed for good??!!

margiehope

If your problem is only sometimes, destroying sweat glands sounds radical.

Something to try would be Secure or Maxim pads. The Secure pads are glycopyrrolate, which can also be taken orally as Avert or Robinul.

I take Avert now, but got on that path because a young friend, who had really bad underarm sweating, mentioned the Secure pads. They worked for her, and she had very heavy sweating.

The good thing about these is that you only have to use them when you need them.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Generic: Hyoscyamine - extended release will last you 12 hours.

Brand name: Symax Duo Tabs - this has combined extended with rapid release.

Technically this is an antispasmodic, but it also works by blocking signals in the autonomic nervous system. It is the best drug for hyperhidrosis, as well as some of the other issues that come with hyperhidorsis, anxiety, IBS, etc.

It is in the same drug class as Robinul but you don't have to take it every few hours, and there are less side effects. It is an old drug that is only recently being used again so most doctors or patients do not know about it.

Go talk to your doctor about it.

Last edited:

james2009

Do you think that drug, and robinul could help my underarm HH, even if it just happens in certain situations. Ive had botox and axially excison surgery in the past, that obviously havent worked as i sweat buckets still when nervous under my arms.

J

james2009

Hi Brett. yes ive heard about retrodermal curretadge. When did you have it done? Will it last for ever now then? How does it work?

Also what type of sweating did you have before, was it all the time, or in certain situations?

I was thinking about having LSA?

J

Jezza

For people with just axillary HH, Botox is the best shot. For me though, with generalized HH, it didn't do much. It is great if it works and it definitely can work...but not for everyone. This should be first on the list though.

Otherwise, I've tried both propanolol (beta blocker), clonidine (alpha blocker) and moxonidine (partial alpha blocker). All of them have anxiolytic effects, yet I noticed no difference in sweating at all. To be honest, I didn't really think my HH was caused by anxiety in the first place, but with HH, you have a tendency to get anxious at some point no matter who you are, so I thought it might help, but it didn't. I have a high BP (despite the fact that there is no obvious reason for it, ie overweight/smoking) that was only mildly affected by taking these meds, while I was taking a dosage that probably should have affected it more...

I didn't try benzos. They aren't prescribed much anymore here in the Netherlands, especially not long term...But again, I doubt the anxiousness is the problem. Tons of people get anxious, they might sweat a little, but nothing like HH. HH to me is caused by factors in the body, not the mind.