memory and concentration problems

MrMr

i was wondering if any of you have a problem with short term memory.for example my mum will ask me in the morning to get a few items from the shop on my way home in the evening and i will often have to call her to ask her to remind me what she wants or if i do remember i will forget something.or someone will give me a message and i will forget to pass it on.if i make an appointment i will have to write it down of ask my mum to remind me.when i out socially my mind goes blank of things to talk about.this is a real killer,as it leads to me being silent/quiet most of the time.when i make a phone call to a friend i will run out of conversation due to the fact that the things i'm meaning to talk about goe clean out of my mind,but i may remember them straight away after i hang up. :? :x :cry:

ricky

my short term mem is also pretty poor, i can forget sumin that sum1 just told me, ahh its all weird. my long term tho i think its great, can remeber loads that others cant. wish i had a happy medium.

ric xx

Anonymous

my memory is so bad but its usually just with school stuff. for example in psychology we have to learn all these studies and names and statistics and it seems like im the only one who doesn't remember them! i find sometimes that i'm not really there mentally in lessons, i kind of drift offevenn though i am listening, im not completely alert and information doesnt stick which is really annoying with exams and stuff, i have too work extra hard to remember stuff. perhaps its that people with sa are not completely alert and open as a sort of defense mechanism or an effect of sa and so memory is affected.also concentration is a hard one. i always start thinking about other stuff, drifting off staying quiet and liveing somewhwere else in my head

Anonymous

yes, since I got SA, my memory and concentration ahve definitely deteriorated

i am actually quite surprised at some of the things I forget - i now have to write down notes all the time

Crimefish

Stress Memory Loss
Stress can cause you to lose your short term memory, but if the stress is short-lived, you go back to normal. If it's long term, months to years, you'll probably stay scatter-brained forever. One more thing to be stressed about.
Or you could have ADD.

nerdgirl178

yeah its weird because I am getting worse day by day i have to remind myself of little things because I easilty forget things too. However I have good memory when its comes to exams for University, I get all A's, like when I read something I can remember that, wierd huh?

Parttimer

yeah i have a problem with this. I can't remember the lyrics to songs that i've heard over and over again. My long term memory sux too..its funny when up until i got SA i had almost perfect memory

blank

I have a problem with it too. This is bad because I need my memory for my job.
If my boss tells me to do something and I forget, I could lose my job. I am constantly picked on by my co-worker for this.( an example - this morning at work I made mistake after mistake after mistake.

I have hypoglacemia and coffee seems to have strange effects on me. If I drink just a bit too much, I get nervous and my memory seems to become even worse ---- but it is a trade off, since the rest of the time I am totally out of energy and just dragging around.

( Also one other important thing about myself and coffee - if I drink too much, I get very depressed and moody. )

If you drink coffee or drink a lot of soda, you might consider this.

The only other thing that I muight think is doing this would be hypoglicemia like I have,or any meds that you are on. ( but thats obvious ! )

GettingThere

blank said:
I have a problem with it too. This is bad because I need my memory for my job.
.........coffee seems to have strange effects on me. If I drink just a bit too much, I get nervous and my memory seems to become even worse ---- but it is a trade off, since the rest of the time I am totally out of energy and just dragging around.

I know what you mean blank. You need caffeine to operate but the caffeine aggravates your SA. All I can suggest to you is to try to get to bed earlier or anything that will help you to get better sleep so that you need less caffeine.