Micro Valve Prolapse

IamSAD

I am 17 years old, and my doctor just found that I had this heart condition. I dont really know what it is, but it is some kind of heart murmur. Apparently, lots of people who have it also have social anxiety. Wanted to know if any of you know anything.

Remus

Staff member
IamSAD said:
Apparently, lots of people who have it also have social anxiety. Wanted to know if any of you know anything.

I've never ever heard of that in all my time involved in the SP communities online or ever read anything about it, have you any links or back up to this?

I'm curious

FruitLooPs

I've certainly heard of it, but haven't heard of the ties between the two. It usually isn't too serious, kind of like a heart palpitation I believe.

I wouldn't sweat it that much IamSAD plenty of info on the net about it: http://www.cdc-cdh.edu/hospital/cardio/chua105.html

I dont think this would cause your SAD, but maybe it could feel like a symptom of a panic attack or something?? I dunno.

IamSAD

yeah, I dont really know much about it. My doctor said that a high percentage of people with MVP have some sort of an anxiety disorder.

Scottish_Player

I do get chest pains every now and then and they come on sudden, always on the left/middle of my chest, it goes all tight and i have to breath very very slowey for a few minutes till the pain goes away and i can breath normal again.I went to the doctor with this problem and she took out her stethascope and had a listen to my chest then said i was fine and basicaly that was that!! i asked her to tell me what could be causing the pain and she said not to worry :roll:

Does that sound anything like the thing you are talking about?

Remus

Staff member
IamSAD said:
yeah, I dont really know much about it. My doctor said that a high percentage of people with MVP have some sort of an anxiety disorder.

no wonder

but thats not exactly a high percentage of anxiety sufferers having MVP

Remus

Staff member
Scottish_Player said:
I do get chest pains every now and then and they come on sudden, always on the left/middle of my chest, it goes all tight and i have to breath very very slowey for a few minutes till the pain goes away and i can breath normal again.I went to the doctor with this problem and she took out her stethascope and had a listen to my chest then said i was fine and basicaly that was that!! i asked her to tell me what could be causing the pain and she said not to worry :roll:

thats a type of anxiety attack, I have them too (rarely now), dont worry yourself mate

Doc knows best

koyaanisqatsi

I have coronary artery disease. Had two stents put in and I'm kinda' OK now. Still a lot of fatigue though and I don't know here that's coming from.

As for Scottish_Player, do your chest pains come during times of physical activity, even just walking? Do the pains come when you are under stress? I ask because those _may_ be the signs of angina caused by coronary artery disease (CAD). I don't mean to be alarmist and your doctor may be absolutely right. But you can't detect CAD with a stethoscope and I'm puzzled as to why your doctor does not do more thorough testing. An outpatient stress test, angiogram and/or echocardiogram seem called for. "Don't worry" about chest pain?????

Scottish_Player said:

Scottish_Player

Hi koyaanisqatsi the doctor asked me if there is any heart disease in the family, i said yeh my dad has angina she said that not to worry as it wont be that either as iam too young for that (23)

The pain comes as and when it pleases, it just happens, i can be sitting doing nothing or i can be active and i must stop for around 3 to 5 mins till its passes. Ive had it since i was about 15 as i had it it school aswell it has gotten less over time but still happens atleast once a week :roll:

She actualy made me feel quite stupid, it was my first time to the doctor in around 12 years when i went so its not as if iam a hypocondriact*

A man goes too the doctor and rushes into his office and says DOCTOR DOCTOR i think iam shrinking the doctor replies calm down sir you'll just have to be a little patient :lol:

koyaanisqatsi

Hi Scottish_Player,

I agree that 23 yo is early for CAD, but it can happen. Note that CAD-related angina can also come on without any activity. But other signs of CAD or an impending heart attack are fatigue, a sense that you are dying ( hard to believe but see the "Merck Manual" ), shortness of breath.

My angina got so bad that I couldn't walk 50 metres at a very slow pace w/o it occuring. I finally saw a doctor. 99% blockage in one artery and 94+% in another. I knew before the testing ( angiogram, stress test, and echocardiogram ) that I had CAD, and long before the angina set in, I had a strong feeling that I was dying.

Well, I still think your doctor dismissed your angina or chest pain all too casually. Can your doctor tell you what it is that is causing the pain? I'd want to know what it _is_ more than what it _isn't_! I think I'd insist on a diagnosis.