Minimalism

lilmutegirl

I recently watched a video clip on minimalism, which is a way of living that I have been wanting to adopt for some time now. My parents are hoarders (seriously, watch the show "Hoarders" and you'll see some approximation of how I grew up). I think that the chaos that has surrounded me as affected my mental state, and exacerbated my anxiety. What is difficult is getting to the point where I am not overwhelmed. I have a lot of stuff (physical possessions, electronic stuff, like emails and such, and thoughts) that are cluttering up my life. I spent almost two hours cleaning this morning, and feel decent about my progress. I got rid of a few things, which is a good start, but I worry that I will not continue with this, and I will stay overwhelmed.

Hoppy

It is really worthwhile decluttering, I've done it and it feels great.

But do not try to see it as this big project, it is overwhelming. Do a little bit each day, one drawer at a time. I use a timer and do cleaning for 15 minutes.

And the bad part is I am never really done. There is always a little spot around that bothers me.

MikeyC

Minimalism is only good if you want to live that way. There's nothing wrong with having a lot of items, but if it's causing you distress (I can see how that can happen, actually), and you find it hard to throw things out, there's a certain need to realise enough is enough and start clearing out.

Hoppy is right: don't try to do everything in one day, because it just simply won't happen. Throw out unwanted items one drawer/wardrobe/room at a time, and see how you go. Once you do minimalise, you'll feel better and your house will appear to be more spacious and airy and clean, which can all only be a good thing for you. :)