misunderstood on social networking

SPJustin85

with regaurds to facebook and social anxiety, i find it diffcult to find the appropriate level of repsonse or approach when contacting friends and have come over as an arsehole when i have overreacted when people dont contact me soon enough. Basically i misjudge peoples motives and meanings with social networking.
Also i sometimes come off badly because i am too open and have been critisied for it, which is embarresing. People dont seem to take accout nof the fact it is one of the few places i feel i can express my self.
Just yesterday i sent a message to a friend who lives abroad who hadn't responded to my messages but had clearly been on facebook, and got a message back saying she was hurt and that she had been busy and had other priorities, now i feel embarresed and that i have lost one of my few friends, this is why i dont stand up for my self!

Has anyone had similar experiences?

lyricalliaisons

I just joined Facebook & don't have any friends other than the ones I've met on other SA sites, but I do know what you mean, to a certain extent.
For a while, some people I met online just completely stopped talking to me simultaneously & it really upset me. I didn't message them telling them so, because I just could never be that forward, but I do know what you mean about being too open.

I've been far too open with people, & I know it. That's why one of the people stopped talking to me. I try to just pace myself & not be so open with others, but if they ask a question, what am I supposed to do... lie? With sites like this, though, it's different.... I'm just posting on a forum to no person in particular, so it doesn't matter that I'm being open. I also can't be open in "real life" which is why I'm so overly open online. I just get tired of keeping things to myself. Especially when I feel I shouldn't have to.

dzerklis

why would u want to chat with 'normal' people in the first place? they can't understand this social phobia.

Havocan

Pinker said:
I don't understand this notion of not being open with people. If you're not open, what do you say? How do you act? I cannot STAND walking on egg shells around people. I would rather not see them again than live my life behind a facade.

Agree with you there, though it means lack of friends and people to hang out with if you are to watch your steps every time. It's a very delicate and difficult balance to maintain. I've tried being shallow and focus on other things, but in the end I end up deluding myself, it just feels like a fraud. So I mainly stick to shy people for something more than talks about the weather^^.