moving cities

tommydog

hey everyone. i currently live in sydney. its the biggest city in australia .. i grew up here. LOVE IT.

somethings come up and im considering moving up to the gold coast. its small, but its very popular, a tourist city. its coastal, lotsa beach culture and that, probably about 25 times smaller than sydney .. but its not considered country at all its still city.

errrrmmmm it is VERY different to were i am now.

now .. my concern is .. will i be able to adjust ? the place is definetly not my "type" at all. should i try and make it work .. i dunno im pretty confuzzled about it.

I think about it and say .. well even here .. i have anxiety obviously .. ill prolly have anxiety there aswell .. whats the diff ?

sorry i know this is a bit of a pointless rant .. but i dont know what to do, and i know you kids are a wise bunch so yer lets here something helpful
:lol:

tommydog

actually .. i was thinking of doing a list of pros and cons ..

maybe i should do the list and post it here .. that way i can get some feedback aswell .. hmmm

i just thought of a con .. and then balanced it out with a pro straight away lol ... i cant get a rednose pitty because the laws up there a very very tight on restricted breeds and it will end up with the green dream no doubt ...... however .. i can get my second favourite breed .. a rotti .. and i can because its unrestricted and recognised purebreed, i can be a show quality pup and get into a new hobby .... dog showing ! yay ! :lol:

Anonymous

i say go for it....nothing like trying something new...if it doesn't work out, you can always go back to sydney

when i first moved out of my folks home, it was to the other end of the country - i was quite nervous about it but it worked out well and it was the best fun i'd had since i started getting SA

Fredscars

umm....depends what problems you have in sydney. youre not bieng chased by the police are you 8O
id say go for it, give you a chance for a new chance etc

tommydog

give you a chance for a new chance ??

your pretty cool fred :lol:

pretty .. and wise too :lol: haha

i like it thanks mate :D

Yossarian

You could go on for ever thinking of reasons not to move, what could go wrong etc It's all ifs and buts. Like guest said you can always move back so it's not final. Try thinking what if it was the best thing to happen to you?, what if you meet really cool people there? etc. You'll never know unless you try.

It must be hard to move if you're happy where you are. They say moving is second only to grief for stress. I've moved about four times and it was good for me, although I never had anything to keep me back. In fact when I first moved I told my mates I was only going to visit my Mum for a week or two. Never seen them since, which was about 10 years ago :lol:

Just remember what guest said: you can always go back. There's obviously a reason you want to move. Is it this girl you are seeing? whatever, just go for it. Live, try things if you can. It's better than stagnating and wondering what if?

tommydog

you guys are right. yer it is this girl im seeing good guess :lol: the distance thing .. unfortunatly .. is only part of why its going to be difficult though.

anyway. well .. i guess i should give a few more details. i met her when she came down for business\pleasure a while ago. we hit it off big time .. since then she has flown back to see me a few times .. we talk on the phone everyday .. its gotten serious. She CANNOT leave her state beyond a few weeks at a time (which she has been doing to see me) due to legal issues .. so thats why im considering going up there.

iv been doing alot of thinking about this. i think the idea is to go up there with lots of things in mind to achieve, and take up lots of hobbys. I think thats the way to get to know the place, get confident, and settle in the best. If i go up there with the same lifestyle i have here ... its not gonna work out 100%. besides .. im not changing for her, or for the gold coast .. im changing for me, i have to, because most of what im doing now is no good for me anyway.

bieng able to post here, and get feedback, probly means more than you guys might think. thanks for listening.

Horatio

I can relate in a way, I recently made the decision to move cities. (For those of you that remember me, yeah Im back online finally)

In hindsight it was silly of me to move in that my socialphobia and confidence are worse than prior to moving and Im now in a very awkward lonely situation but on the plus side I now have better work experience and career prospects. Wether or not I made the right choice I guess time will tell.

I think one thing to take into account is that as a sufferer of socialphobia moving cities to a place where you dont know anything is very dangerous in that one can not expect to meet people, make friends etc. Which can translate to a very very lonely life. (And in my case a severe lack of home cooked dinners!)

But in the end it comes down to ones motivation for moving and wether or not that outweighs any turbelence one might encounter. If your moving to be close to a girl that thinks the world of you then I can not see how thats the wrong choice!!!

Go get her!

tommydog

If your moving to be close to a girl that thinks the world of you then I can not see how thats the wrong choice!!!

Go get her!

umm well .. actually .. YES :lol:

i dont fully understand it .. but there you go :lol:

thanks mate your right. i need to gather my resources, make my plans, do what i have to do, and give it my best shot.

i do remember you, i posted in your farewell thread. sorry to here it couldnt have been more positive. but .. your still in one piece, your getting new experiences with your living and work arrangments .. and like you said .. your career prospects are better were you are now. good luck brother, and maybe make a thread and tell us more about it eh :wink:

GettingThere

Hey, on the positive side Tommy you could start to support the Broncos...hehehe.

Actually you would probably be surprised to find that many parts of the Gold Coast are not that different from surburban Sydney. Everybody sees the tourist side of the coast but there is a hell of a lot more to it than that and its probably the fastest growing area in Australia.

tommydog

nar mate .. i will remian a bulldogs supporter unfortunatly .. and i will wear my nike purebred tshirt with pride :lol:

yer no kidding some of it isnt that far removed from sydney er. are you from up there GettingThere ?

GettingThere

tommy_15 said:
nar mate .. i will remian a bulldogs supporter unfortunatly .. and i will wear my nike purebred tshirt with pride :lol:

yer no kidding some of it isnt that far removed from sydney er. are you from up there GettingThere ?

I from Brissie but I did spend a few years living and working on the Coast.

tommydog

alright .. errr ... LOL !

its been decided .. i am going up there. :lol:

im excited :lol:

ummm okay. its not definite still .. because i cant go up there for a about 2 months .. and really who knows what can happen between us in tht time, but i am, and she is, confident and excited so i think it is going to be a goer.

im thinking about moving to another city\town about half way between were i am now and the gold coast. i have work up there .. so im thinking i might go up there next week after i tie up a few loose ends down here .. and work for 2 months. I dont have a car .. she dosnt have a car anymore either .. so i wanna work so i can buy one before i go up there. ooooooo and she wants to buy me my rottwieller !! lol cool :lol:

oki dokies just giving you guys an update tis all :D