Music players: is it relaxing or stressful for you?

Helyna

I've played the piano for 11 years and flute for 6. I've just started in the past couple of years to relax when I play the piano. Playing flute is uncomfortable because I'm so tense. I prefer pieces that don't require a lot of expression when I play the flute, though I can deal with expression on the piano now.

Smokeringz

definatly, ive played the guitar for five years. The only thing i find stressful about it is learning complicated songs or solos, but it can be a real sooth machine thats for sure.

crankitup

Music is what keeps me going!
It's been the best way for me to get my mind off the gloomy things when I'm so lonely and depressed. I started playing the piano when I was 7 and got into lead guitar when i was 15, Plus organ, accordion and hopefully tenor sax soon. The guitar is great as it's a very expressive instrument, You can really make that instrument talk.
I agree that pushing your self to learn some hard pieces can be stressful along with doing scales, exercises and the like, but with that hard work comes the reward later of being able to express yourself more easily.

Also listening to music can really get your mind off things. Some nice smooth stuff is good therapy for me usually. I'm afraid the new top 40 stuff does nothing for me.
I think a lot of people are missing out if they only limit themselves to new top 40, there's so much music that I wish people would open their minds to.

If you ask me, Music can be more effective then medication for some people.

dpr

I once told a buddhist monk that I play guitar and he said, "Guitar is good meditation."

I have to agree for the most part, because when you are learning something new you are totally focused on it and all other thoughts in your mind kind of take a back seat.

Music is relaxing for me when I'm just playing what I like to play and messing around, but when I'm trying to learn something difficult it can be frustrating. Like now I am practicing for an RCM exam and it is very stressful. Of course most of that stress comes from my negative thinking (i.e. telling myself I'm going to mess up and fail and what not).

But yeah. I don't know what I'd do or where I'd be if not for music. I think it's a lifesaver for a lot of people.