My dad & my brother think that I'm gay....

kristina303

Because I haven't had a boyfriend in over 2 years and I don't hang out with guys. I talk to a few guys at school, but they aren't there to see that. Ever since I've had social anxiety I'm always nervous around most guys. That's why I haven't had a boyfriend. :( It hurt my feelings.

Phoenixx

I've never even had a boyfriend and I don't talk to many guys either. I get nervous around them too. Sorry to hear about your family teasing you like that. :( My brother used to tease me and call me a lesbian just cuz I don't have a bf. He doesn't do it anymore because he actually matured a bit after he moved out. :rolleyes: I don't really have any advice except just ignore what they say. I know that's way easier said than done, but just hang in there.

Minty

Aw, that's hurtful, I'm sure... but you have to remember that they're guys and guys say stupid things all the time without thinking-!

I know you're trying to be helpful, but I have to disagree with you. Gender isn't an excuse for being inconsiderate and many men aren't this way anyway.

My dad and brother would never label my sexual orientation. That's my right and it certainly isn't something I have to prove to the world through my actions, like dating. I'm straight, I've told them that, and they wouldn't argue about it because they respect me.

I'm sorry, Socialphobiagirl. I hope your family members stop placing judgments on you and learn to see who you really are. Just know, you don't have to prove a thing to them. Even if they saw you chatting with boys at school, that doesn't really change the fact that they're misjudging you in the first place. That's the real problem.

I've had so many people think I'm gay it's not even funny!! lol

Of course , it makes you feel bad, but what the hell? I guess it's part of Social Anxiety. the thing is, it shouldn't make you feel that bad, 'cause it's not really you that's causing that - it's your disorder.

If people can't understand that, then they're *not* worthy of your acknowledgement ;)

Last edited:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
When people don't know about or understand something, they tend to draw the conclusion that they find most exciting/entertaining to believe in rather than examine the evidence logically.

eternalnewb

Hi socialphobiagirl,
My mom actually asked me if I was gay just before Christmas, she was half joking half serious but it still really bothered me. I've only gone out with a few guys and I'm really private so I don't talk to my family about guys. I guess she figured that because I'm 26 and don't have a boyfriend I must be gay. Since then she's brought it up two more times and it is really annoying, especially when I very clearly tell her that I like guys. I think that because my mom is so social she just doesn't understand that not everyone can easily approach guys. Hopefully your Dad and bother will come to understand you a bit better.

JamesSmith

Obviously I don't think men are stupid but I do believe that more men are mean than women are mean. I believe it's because women can be more in touch with emotions and understand when they may be hurting someone. Men have emotions too, but it seems that a larger group of men ignore these emotions than women do. No, I'm not a mean guy, but I've met many of them.

DespairSoul

I had similar issue with my schoolmates wich was specialy insulting me that way (isnt insult at all if is true but if not i took it like that) i was bullyed that way for no reason on basic school because i was hanging with one girl very close all the time but like a very good frend thats all. Then i know how do you feel. Just tell them u arent gay just u arent prepared on relation and u are shy in that way. They will understand. Maybe they are both to much Macho and dont understand that u arent interrested at guys because they dont understand shyness and they dont want to understand it.

nzm33443

I'm pretty sure my Dad thinks I'm gay. Just because I'm 26 and I've never had a girlfriend. He's never asked, but I'm pretty sure thats what he thinks.

Liam17

My friends think i'm gay cause they've all got girlfriends, and i'v never had one, or even kissed a girl.

Depressing times.

On an upside, i wrote a cool song :)

Overload

All of my friends think I'm in the closet, and I'm pretty sure my parents do too. I'm at the point where I'm convinced I'm at least bisexual. It's annoying, because I start getting depressed over it because I start worrying I'm gay and I don't want to give up girls. Then I wonder if I really want girls or I just think I do. I'm fairly sure I do though. Oh well. Only time will tell. For the past couple of months my life has been a living hell.

My advice to you is to not stress out over this.

awkwardamanda

Sometimes I worry this might happen. I've had one boyfriend and we started dating just before I turned 18. Maybe a few months later, my brother told me he had thought I was a lesbian. He said this in a half joking/half serious sort of tone. But I've been single for quite a while now and I've never even been on a date with another guy. So I still wonder sometimes whether anyone might start thinking I'm lesbian if this goes on long enough. I don't show any interest in guys in front of my family, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested. I'll just check them out in secret and keep it to myself. I don't want them to know I'm actually pretty lonely. Also, I feel like I never really got past the teenage mindset of having to hide any interest in the opposite sex from your parents, and expecting them to tease and embarrass you about it. I imagine most people by my age would have outgrown that sort of thing, but then most people by my age have had enough dating experience to get comfortable with it.:rolleyes:

*Amy*

Hey! It's the same thing with me. I've never had a boyfriend, mostly because of my SAD, and some years before, when I met a girl I was close friends with and whose house I went to on the weekends, I'm sure my father thought there was something between us. I could say I'm almost certain. It used to happen even when I was at school, when I met a new girl in our class and we would go together everywhere... people labeled us as "lesbians" (we were only 11! I didn't even know what "to be gay/lesbian" was!).

My advice: tell them you are not, but don't be angry with them. If they continue to tease you, just ignore them. Anyway, being gay is not a bad thing (not that I am saying that you are), so you shouldn't take it as an insult.

awkwardamanda

Anyway, being gay is not a bad thing (not that I am saying that you are), so you shouldn't take it as an insult.

I think the insulting thing is being so unwanted and alone that people start to think you must be gay when it isn't true. It's insulting when people think you have no interest in the opposite sex when, in fact, they aren't interested in you.

Last edited:

missjesss

Banned
Try not to let family members get to you, as they NEVER totally understand our problem does your family know?

Are you receiving some sort of treatment for your phobia I highly recommend hypnotherapy and NLP, along with CBT to help with thought processing

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Chriiss

I get called Gay in work all the time... It was a joke at first but now it's just plain hurtful.. When you don't have the confidence to say anything back it's hard.
Soo yee I feel your pain :)