My doctor is such a jerk!

Foxglove

Every three months, I have to go to my doctor to pick up a new prescription for my medication. And every time he manages to insult me. Every time he asks me stuff like "Are you STILL a housewife?" and "what do you DO all day?" and "Are you REALLY satisfied being a housewife?" Like being a housewife is something to be ashamed of or something. :evil: The way he says it is incredibly condescending. It's such a paradox: Doctors are supposed to help you and make you feel better, but every time I have to see him I'm totally depressed afterwards, and my already practically non-existent self esteem goes down into the negative numbers. I wish I had the nerve to put him in his place. Anyone else here have negative experiences with their doctor?

FaymeLevy

Wow that's not right. There is nothing wrong with being a housewife..in fact, I find it very admirable. Maybe you should find a new doctor. You shouldn't have to take that kind of abuse.

IceLad

One time I went to see the doctor about SP, he told me to try and smile more in order to overcome it.

Wonderfully helpful! :evil:

Niles

Like FaymeLevy said, try and look around for a new doctor. I couldn't take that crap myself. I know it's hard to start all over with someone else and tell them everything from the beginning, but this guy sounds like he would make the effort worth it. What a d*ck!

unsweat

Foxglove, I will seriously seek a second opinion. The doc should help you to recover, not make things worse!

Y

Well, the reason i left going to my last psychatrist was cos she said

"I cant just hold your hand, take you to your class and introduce you to your classmates"

:twisted:

I guess she was sick of my whining.

Foxglove

Riptor said:
He sounds like an ass, but then a lot of doctors are. Is he just a general practitioner? Because I'm sure they're not necessarily trained to understand pshycological things like anxiety and such. Maybe you could start seeing a doctor who specializes in people with anxiety/depression and get your prescriptions from that doctor, since a doctor like that (a psychologist maybe? :? ) would likely be a lot more understanding.

He is a neurologist. I don't think he actually works with people as a psychiatrist. He has a reputation for being an asshole. He definitely lives up to his reputation. I don't think he realizes that it's patients like me who finance his flashy car (I've seen him driving around town in his Porsche). I'm going to try to find another doctor to get my medication from.

I told my doc once that someone who never experienced the state of having a social phobia isnt capable to understand or treat something like that. Her answer was "So, if the surgeon never had a broken leg he is not capable to fix that leg?"

Tryin

Foxglove said:
Every three months, I have to go to my doctor to pick up a new prescription for my medication. And every time he manages to insult me. Every time he asks me stuff like "Are you STILL a housewife?" and "what do you DO all day?" and "Are you REALLY satisfied being a housewife?" Like being a housewife is something to be ashamed of or something. :evil: The way he says it is incredibly condescending. It's such a paradox: Doctors are supposed to help you and make you feel better, but every time I have to see him I'm totally depressed afterwards, and my already practically non-existent self esteem goes down into the negative numbers. I wish I had the nerve to put him in his place. Anyone else here have negative experiences with their doctor?

So, what do you do now, Foxy? Could I analyse it for you? (at the moment Sue's excited about preparing to study psychology, and analysing situations became my new hobby, oh, AM I crazy :lol: ) There are three ways of dealing with this:

a) Don't do anything. After all, it's just a short visit every few weeks and you COULD always take a deep breath, let him say whatever he wants and take it easy.

b) Confront the man. Next time he says something that you find insulting, react. (By openly telling him what his words cause in you and how they make you feel, or by simply letting your anger show in the expression of your face or the tone of your voice.)

c) Get a new doc. (Doesn't solve the problem. But it prevents you from being in a situation that's unpleasant for you, which might be effective.)

That's it. (Maybe you can find some more solutions.) Please let us know what did you decide to do and take care.

JamesMorgan

Foxglove

Maybe this guy is really trying to help you, he maybe just lacking in consideration to really hear you. Maybe he is trying to asses your mental state by forcing you to think about such things. Maybe he really really wants to help you but is just going about it in the wrong way.

I agree with Tryin, you could ask for another doctor - (woman).

A good doctor will radiate compassion, you will feel better just by going along to see them, they will make you feel comfortable, respected and listened to. This is what really helps people, love. A doctor can give you the best advice in the world, but if you feel they don't care, you wont take there advice and you wont get better.

Shop around.

James

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I had a psychologist call me lazy because I said I was unable to get a job.

Solution: Dump the "professional" and look for another one.

KiaKaha

Banned
I am sometimes amazed at the sheer amount of lack of understanding, rudeness and impatience psychologists and other health professionals have toward the people they are supposed to be helping.

They should join SPW - they would fit right in.

ImNotMyIllness

You shouldn't be a doctor if you don't have good people skills!
@Kiakaha I don't think they would fit in. They're to rude. We at least care about people even if we're socially inept.

ImNotMyIllness

@Kiakaha I don't think they would fit in. They're too rude. We at least care about people even if we're socially inept.

Lamb

I have a doctor that called me a hypochondriac once and told me I'm wasting my younger years. Instead of switching doctors, I choose to butt heads with her and cause her more trouble than necessary.

Last edited:

KiaKaha

Banned
@Kiakaha I don't think they would fit in. They're too rude. We at least care about people even if we're socially inept.

Mmmm... some. Not everyone. There is rudeness on here too - sometimes intentionally, sometimes not.

Remus

Staff member
Woah! necro-thread :D

I had a very rude ex-military doctor (pull yourself together man!)....I changed doctors ;)

One doctor i had started to "take the mickey", so i never went back to him (& didn't even pay his last fee! ;). Serve him right)

Had this really "rough" middle-eastern man as a shrink. But he only lasted 2 sessions. He was too insistent that i take my sunnies off, and wouldn't take no for an answer (in spite of me saying i didn't feel comfortable with eye-contact, hence the sunnies). So i confronted him about it there & then, and told him that i don't think he's a good therapist for me, as he's too demanding, etc (& never went back to him).

You have to try and be at least a bit "assertive" (which is hard for SA people i know), else some of these "monkeys" will walk all over you.