My experience battling HH

ysh

As I have found help fighting HH during the years using the internet and various forums like this one I would like to take the opportunity to share some of my experiences to give something back.

My hands have been the most troublesome for me as my feet and underarm sweating have been easier to hide (not easy, but easier).

I considered having ETS done for some time, but decided not to as it is not reversible and I would likely suffer more from the side-effects. Botox has also crossed my mind but it is expensive, probably painful and will only work for a couple of months at a time.

I have been using aluminium chloride on and off since my teens, and while it can hold back the sweat for shorter periods of time it is not good enough in the situations where I need it the most. Once the sweat breaks through then there is nothing stopping it and it's just as bad as when not using aluminium chloride. Mainly used it for hands and feet. I guess one can get better results using it for underarm sweating.

Then about 7-8 years ago I learned about oral medication such as Robinul and it worked to hold back the sweating in most situations. I managed to get through university studies on these, but after about 4 years of usage I decided to stop due to the side effects. I got fed up with the constant tiredness and headaches so I went back to using aluminium chloride, eventhough it didn't help much.

A couple of months ago I finally found a solution that works for my hands and feet and it's iontophoresis. This was the last resort before going for Botox, and I didn't really expect it to work but amazingly it did. Started by doing daily treatments, and then treatments every second day and now I am onto doing treatments every third day. If you suffer from hand or feet sweating I can really recommend that you give this a try. My hands and feet do not sweat anymore, not even in the most stressful situations. I can even do exercise and while I sweat from all other parts of my body my hands and feet are still dry. It's been like this for about 6 weeks now, and I am hoping that it will last. Before ionto I always had to be aware my HH and did my best to stay away (if I could) from situations where I knew the possibility was high that I would start sweating. Now, gradually, that feeling is slowly going away as I can start to focus on other things instead. Sometimes I even put myself in these used-to-be uncomfortable situations to see if it still works.

My recommendation to others with similar problems as mine is to give iontophoresis a try (Drionic, Hidrex, Idromed, Idrostar, Fischer, the home-made one on Youtube etc.). The success rate is claimed to be really high, and I have no reason to question this as it worked for me within a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

HH

that's great news, I also use a iontophoresis machine and it works great on my hands. I started using odaban on them first to try and stop the sweating but it only stopped it to a certain extent and I didn't like the thought of putting those chemicals on my hands on a daily basis.

If you've done daily treatments for about 2 weeks you should be able to go down to about 2 treatments a week (30mins per treatment) and then hopefully down to one per week (although everyone is different)

hurray for iontophoresis :D

Sprawling

I'm happy that ionto is working for you. My sweat spot for treatment is every 9 days. I think I'm going to change it to every 7 days once the summer hits. Sweat flows a little more freely during the warmer months. When I first started to tackle my HH problem I purchased any cream, lotions possible. Some worked a very little, others not at all. Ionto has been my life saver.

hyp-hi

Thanks for sharing your experience. I just started ionto (2nd treatment today) and I'm hoping it works out. Any tips on what intensity to use such as milliamperes? I tried it at 4 milliamperes and it was stinging so I'm afraid to go higher. Also how long do you do each treatment?

Last edited:

HH

I did my initial treatments (once a day for two weeks- 10-15 minutes each treatment) on 10-12mA. I now do my once weekly treatments on 7-8mA for 30 minutes

ysh

4mA sounds a bit low, but perhaps it will work as you are feeling that stinging sensation. If you are not in a hurry you can always give it a try. I would go for 10-12mA myself.

I went higher initially cause I really wanted to get fast results. I am using a Hidrex myself and it is set using volts. Initially I did 30 volts for hands and 45 volts for feet. Now I am down to 25 and 40 volts. Recommendation in manual is 20 and 30 volts. I have not had any problems with burns, blisters or cracks.

Last edited:

HH

I think 4mA or under is not going to do anything, it really needs to be higher than 4mA for it to have any effect

hyp-hi

I'll try to increase it. Does anyone know if the intensity would be be effected by any factors such as body weight?

HH

body weight shouldn't be a factor but I think if you do treatments on your feet they need a higher mA because the skin is thicker there then on the hands

ysh

Some people get success with lower mA, while it takes more for others to achieve dryness. Hopefully you will find out within 2 weeks. If not, then you have to increase the mA. What device do you use?

For me I knew it was going to work when I noticed that certain parts of my hands could not sweat, while other parts still sweated as usual. This was after about a week of daily treatments. Then after two weeks most of my hands were dry. I had to do extra treatments for fingertips to get them dry.

Sprawling

I'm on the Fischer unit also and I use between 20-23 mA for 15 minutes for each polarity per side. As you can see, we each use a range of polarity's to achieve results. It's all about experimentation.

hyp-hi

Thought I would give an update. I have done about 12 iontophoresis treatments so far. Frequency about every other day, sometime 2 days in a row. For intensity, I have got the mA up to 10. It is pretty stingy at that point especially around cuticles. I try to do about 15 minutes per session and switch polarity every other session.

For results, I think it is working a little bit. My hands have been sweating a little bit less than normal. It's still early to get a definite conclusion on it's effectiveness.

Like most, I'm trying to figure out what works best. Does anyone know what changing the polarity does? I haven't noticed a difference.

Also, I'm wondering if just soaking hands in water without the electric current would have any effect. Sure would be cheaper than buying the unit!

I was worried about the whole soaking the hands in water in terms of wear on the skin, but so far I have not had any problems. In fact my skin used to peel off before I started using it, but now it is not peeling at all.

I'll keep testing it out. Any more advice is welcome.

ysh

The + pole is a bit more effective some say, that is why you should switch polarity every now and then. Don't know why it is like that. Sometimes my hands get a bit red after treatment, especially the hand that were in the tray with the + pole. I try to switch every other treatment, but sometimes I forget. I guess it's not all that important.

I'm sure soaking hands in water without the electric current would have no affect at all. The water is just there as it happens to be a good conductor in order to distribute the electric current over the treated areas when doing iontophoresis.

I have been doing ionto since early february and have no problems with too dry or peeling skin, but then again I use lotion quite often to keep my skin healthy and flexible.

I tried to lower the voltage (mine is set using voltage and not amps) but I could then feel that the sweating started to return a little after a couple of weeks, so I raised the voltage and now it's all good again. Increased voltage or longer treatment times seems to make the treatment more effective. I do 15 minutes every other day with a setting of 30 volts for hands at the time being.

If I were you I would do treatments every day for another week, and if you have no results I would increase the amps even more. I initially started out with treatments every day for about two weeks. At first I didn't notice much change, but then during the second week I started to notice small areas of my hands that were dry. And then after some more days my entire palms were dry.

That your hands are sweating less than normal is a good sign that it will work. What is the recommended current setting according to your user manual?

HH

ysh is right-the + pole is stronger than the -
some of the volts people have been posting on here have been making my eyes water.....30!!!!! ouch! ha, ha

I think overdoing treatments can have a negative effect, after about 10-13 initial once a day treatment leave it for 3-4 days and then do a 30min session, then another 3-4 days later. Its all trial and error I'm afraid but usually over a few weeks you will see the benefit.

Also water quality plays a factor. Hard water is better than soft.

ysh

I'd better add then that I am using a pulsing current (PC) device, so it doesn't sting or itch as much as a direct current (DC) device. The recommended setting in the manual is 20 volts for hands. PC is not that uncomfortable as DC, in fact it doesn't feel bad at all. As the device can be switched to DC I give it a try every now and then, and it makes the treatment not so comfortable. Can't say it hurts, but it gives me this stinging and itchy feeling.

I prefer a higher voltage over longer treatment times. I live in an area with medium hard water.

hyp-hi

The rep at RA Fischer recommended a current setting of about 12-15 mA. I'm not sure what kind of water I have, but I think it is soft. Thank you guys for the tips.

ysh

hyp-hi: How is it going? Seeing any improvements? Perhaps I have mentioned this before, but before I got some good results my fingertips started to sweat more than they used to for some reason. My fingertips was the last part of my hand to become dry. Just a heads up in case you experience sweating more.

hyp-hi

It's going pretty well. My hands have actually stayed dry throughout the work day which is great. I'm still not sure if the results are because of the iontophoresis or something else. I did have a week off of work which brought the stress down, so that might have something to do with it.

Also, I did take Zoloft anti-anxiety medication for about a month. I don't think it did much for me in terms of anxiety or sweating.

I'm a long term user of Glycopyrrolate but it has not been working well as of late so I have stopped using it for the most part. So right now I am just doing the ionto, and my hands have not been sweating too much.

I think when your hands don't sweat it actually makes the rest of your body sweat less also which is a plus.

ysh

Now that I have my hands under control other parts of my body sweat less as well. For the time being I can even wear shirts that aren't black or white.

I try to force my hands to sweat every evening to see if the effect of ionto is wearing off, but still it is working good. As I mentioned I had to increase the voltage and frequency for two weeks to be pro-active, as I noticed that my palms could get a little bit moist.