my psychiatrist hmm

dean01

hi all,
i was diagnosed as having generalized social anxiety in feb 2010, ive had an evaluation, which lasted an hour and one appointment with a psychiatrist which lasted 20 mins, the psychiatist was very easy going and told me to do only what i feel comfortable doing, he also advised me to join facebook and to get a book on social anxiety.

my next appointment is at the end of july. ile be honest im a little worried that the psychiatrist doesn't really know what to do, is this common practice? or am i just being paranoid! lol (wouldn't be the first time)

mads

hi all,
i was diagnosed as having generalized social anxiety in feb 2010, ive had an evaluation, which lasted an hour and one appointment with a psychiatrist which lasted 20 mins, the psychiatist was very easy going and told me to do only what i feel comfortable doing, he also advised me to join facebook and to get a book on social anxiety.

my next appointment is at the end of july. ile be honest im a little worried that the psychiatrist doesn't really know what to do, is this common practice? or am i just being paranoid! lol (wouldn't be the first time)

As no one is the same, then they way psychiatrists work will also be different depending on the "patient"

In fact as I know, one of the most important things for a psychiatrist is to ask the right questions and by that get the answers.

dean01

As no one is the same, then they way psychiatrists work will also be different depending on the "patient"

In fact as I know, one of the most important things for a psychiatrist is to ask the right questions and by that get the answers.

i understand that its different for everyone, maybe psychiatrists work differently too, the psychiatrist never asked me any questions it was all done in the evaluation, textbook stuff, pages and pages of forms, i was advised before hand to be open and honest and alot of what i said shocked the nurse. so why only one appointment every 3 months? i dont get it and my dads getting annoyed. after the evaluation they told me they would be in contact within a week, 2 months passed so i eventually got my head round phoning them to find out what was going on. they openly admitted that they had forgotten to contact me. i complained to my gp, who was not impressed and said she would contact them that was last week.

JonnyD

by my experience therapy is generally hard work , we tend to thing its like having a medicine or operation but its more like physiotherapy you have to work hard and exercise, the physiotherapist or the psychatrist in this case is the person who knows the path , the person can only point and give you directions - it you who must trail that path.

imagine somebody who just been cured of a serious injury on both the legs, the person didn't walk for years, now he (or she - i never know wish one to use in english please help) , now he must remember how to use his legs.

I like to think of social phobia like that, at somepoint your mind suffered a major injury, now you have to remember how to use that part of your mind properly

mads

i understand that its different for everyone, maybe psychiatrists work differently too, the psychiatrist never asked me any questions it was all done in the evaluation, textbook stuff, pages and pages of forms, i was advised before hand to be open and honest and alot of what i said shocked the nurse. so why only one appointment every 3 months? i dont get it and my dads getting annoyed. after the evaluation they told me they would be in contact within a week, 2 months passed so i eventually got my head round phoning them to find out what was going on. they openly admitted that they had forgotten to contact me. i complained to my gp, who was not impressed and said she would contact them that was last week.

It is definitely not a good sign that they forgot contacting you and one appointed every 3 months, I would belive is too long time

lyricalliaisons

I think it's pretty crazy that he's only seen you once since February. When I first saw my psychiatrist, I had to see him once a month. Once, I had to see him in two weeks. Now that I've been seeing him for almost three years, he sometimes schedules our appointment for two to three months in the future, but that's only if everything's going decently with me.

I definitely think you should consider getting a new psychiatrist, if possible. Yours doesn't sound very competent, imo.

Fighter86

Have you tried working with a psychologist? I was diagnosed by a psychologist and find them much more helpful than a psychiatrist. Basically my psychiatrist didn't really do much, in the course of 6 months, I saw her like twice or thrice I believe, and she only asked me a couple of questions, like how I was feeling and prescribed me medication, and the sessions always lasted like 10mins. Its been too long for me to recall exactly, but I really disliked dealing with her, she did nothing for me and made me feel exceeding uncomfortable.