New here and have social phobia for years now

cubeltd4

Hello,

I'm new here and i'm suffering with social phobia since i'm a teenager i'm now 23.

Well everything started around my 14. At school i was scared to talk with people or when a teacher called my name. When we had to speak for the whole class i was ill. Also going away with friends was a hell i was shaking with my hands.

But now i have more problems. Since 2 years i cannot enjoy my life anymore. It's like i'm depressed and having the whole day anxiety. I have also avoid contact with people and friends more and more.

What i also have and i don't if this is with SA is everything around me is strange i mean i cannot feel any emotions anymore. If the weather is nice and i 'm riding with my bike i don't feel nothing.

And if i'm searching the web it's makes me scared all the bad things to read. Sometimes i'm taking i'm getting crazy and will not be same anymore.

I want to do something to get my life back.

Sorry for my bad english.

Cheers
Viper

IcanDoIt

welcome abroad dude!

yeah, your problems are common among us..

like you, i also felt nothing when i cross the road full of vehicles..

i was hoping that a car would just knock me down but it never did, and i am glad..

you are not crazy, its just your unusual negative thinking pattern..

you are normal..

cubeltd4

Thanks for the reply.

Well i'm going to try CBT. I read alot of positive things that i now want to overcome my social phobia.

I did only left the last years my house when it was necessary. I want my contact back now with friends and start a life. I realised that i cannot live in the future like now.

cubeltd4

Thanks. Have some of you tried already the Dr. Richard audiotapes?

Do you also have concentration problems? I'm programmer (webapplications). And my work is going more difficult. My team mate tolds me that i'm more unsure than in the past. I don't take any dissisions and sometimes i'm thinking for hours on the same. (Would i do it like this or would i do it like that). Also i'm anxiety the whole day and i don't know why. It's not only the social anxiety but other anxiety i cannot describe it.

mr_jim

Hey Viper

Not being able to concentrate and being indecisive are very common among us Social Anxiety sufferers. I can be anxious all through the day also, even when not in situations where there are people around. Is this what you're talking about? I think its because we are always worrying about SA so we make ourselves anxious just thinking about it.

Have you seen your doctor about SA?

Jim

cubeltd4

Hello Mr Jim,

Yes i talked with my doctor already but i don't like to medicines for the rest of my life.

I want to give CBT a try because medicines are making it easier to control the SA symptoms but it let the sa not go away.

About the anxiety it's exactly what i mean i can be whole day anxious without being in social situations.

I'm also depressed because i'm seeing no end on the situation i'm in now. I'm worried about everything.

Viper

mr_jim

Hey Viper

Its good to hear that you've seen your doctor.

I know what you mean about medication, i've been on Aropax and Efexor and for me they don't take away all the symptoms of SA but they can help me deal with it a bit better. I've just started taking lexapro on doctors orders, it hasn't done anything for my SA yet it may be too early to tell. It has helped with my depression though.

I'm about to start CBT with a psychologist soon also, in the next week or so. The thing i find with medications i've been on, they do help me cope with SA a little better, i think i'm probably in a better frame of mind now to try CBT/counselling than i was before taking this course of medication.

I hope you are able to start CBT soon, it sounds like it is the best option for us SA sufferers. We must try to remain positive i know, even if it seems like we will always feel this way :wink:

Cheers
Jim