new med

shygurl

I went to the doctor last week and she prescribed Celexa for my SA. I really dont know anything about meds so did a little research. I found out that this is not addicting which was my major concern. Im really not a fan of taking pills of any kind and am quite nervous about taking this, but did take my first one last night. Does anyone have anything they could tell me about this med??

chris87

Wow, you sound similar to me! I am so afraid of medication! I have been taking Lexapro, which is pretty similar to Celexa. They are manufactured by the same company...Lexapro was basically created to get a new patent, because the one for Celexa was expiring.

I have been taking Lexapro since last Thursday, but I had taken it on two other occasions (I had skipped some days, because I had gotten nervous for no reason). It hasn't really helped me yet, but SSRIs can take 3-4 weeks and sometimes even longer before they take effect. I've felt a little drowsy and it's interfered with my sleep slightly. Other than that, I haven't noticed anything yet. Hopefully, I will start to see some improvement soon.

Good luck to you!

Tab

I'm on celexa too. Started in September. It helped me at the beginning pretty good, not to the extent I'd like but still helped. I used to get pains in my chest from anxiety going to school and I don't have that anymore. Makes me tired though and also I don't usually feel as down as I used to. The one thing I hate about it though is when I...you know have fun with myself it takes me longer to get off. I think I might need to up the dose though, I'm going back to the doctors on the 28th so I'll see what he says. Good luck! :D

Slothrop

Celexa is an SSRI, all of which are more or less the same. There isn't anything to be afraid of. Millions of people take SSRIs without trouble.

You won't notice an effect just from taking one pill, like you would taking aspirin for a headache. It's a gradual thing. It might make you feel kind of sick for the first week or two, but that passes. It may take a little while longer to start feeling better. The effects aren't easy to describe, but you'll notice feeling differently. It isn't a sudden night-and-day change, and it isn't a "happy pill", but it does make you feel better.

Any side effects that stick around after the first few weeks are usually so mild as to be overshadowed by the positive effect. It should go without saying that if you experience any effect that's unacceptably unacceptably awful, you should talk to your doctor about switching to something else. Only something like 3% of people ever quit over side effects.

They definitely aren't addicting, but abruptly quitting after you've been taking them for months can cause some unpleasant side effects. Nothing terrible, but it's worth mentioning so that if you do decide to quit, you should talk to your doctor rather than just stop taking them on your own.

villacjs

There is not much to be very afraid of when taking a Celexa (an SSRI). Sure some people get mild side effects for the first week. As one of the previous bloggers said millions of people use these kind of drugs, they are some of the most prescribed drugs around the world. I take Effexor-XR 300mg which IMO is a bit more potent and has a higher incidence of side effects than Celexa. However I have been on Lexapro at both 10mg and 20mg so I can tell you its a good drug and you may get some benefit from it. If you decide you don't like it or are getting sick you can always quit taking it, but if you do this do it slowly.

Good luck

shygurl

Thanks peoples :) The doctor told me that this one had few side effects. Im hoping that the benefits outweigh the side effects, but wont know till i try i guess.

light

you may be better off with a beta blocker with little or no side effects. bystolic causes little or no weigh gain compared to ssri's, although effexor is weight neutral for some, with anti-anxiety properties. paxil is also notorious for weight gain.