Newbie here! Serious panic attack issues.

snowgirl

Hey everyone. I was apprehensive to introduce myself but I finally decided to go ahead and do it.

I am a 24 year old female and I suffer from SERIOUS panic attacks. I had my first one about 2 years ago. I was driving and it happened. At the time, my life was AMAZING.. Great job, great boyfriend, great family, great everything..

And then my life changed forever. I didn't know what it was. I had to actually grab the attention of the guy next to me in the car to call 911. I was certain I was having a heart attack. Called my father and he had to talk me down. Thank God I was able to pull over in a strip mall and walk around a local store. I paced like a crazy person until it passed. Almost 3 hours.

But it's still so hard because as supportive as people try to be, they just don't get it. Hell, if someone would have told me this before I experienced it, I would have thought they were crazy.

My anxiety attacks are still on and off. Sometimes I get small ones and sometimes they are larger. This, obviously, has brought me to this site.

I feel like they are beginning to consume me again and that is so frightening. Without these damn attacks I would have an amazing life. I have nothing to complain about.

Here are my symptoms:
First I feel my heart flutter, then it starts pounding out of control
Face flushes
I feel disoriented
I need to get air and walk around
Sometimes my arms go numb
I just overall feel like I am losing my mind and/or dying

WOW. I've never shared this with anyone really publicly like this, but I'm hoping you guys get this, given the nature of the site. It's nice to be able to share. Thanks for listening. :)

dottie

oh yes, i get this for sure. sorry you are feeling this way, so out of control. have you learned any coping techniques? are you seeing a counselor? are you reading self help books? how are you handling this?

snowgirl

I see a therapist, but she doesn't seem to help too much.... I have a few techniques for dealing with it now. The best part is that I can now realize what is happening and not automatically freak out like I used to.

It is still so scary though. Every time it happens I still wonder.. "Maybe this is the one time where it actually is a heart attack and not just panic."

Gosh I sound crazy! It's so frightening.

inconspicuous name

i've never understood how it's possible to have a panic attack if you realise you're having a panic attack.....seems like it simply becomes just an attack then :p

welcome

Phoenixx

Welcome to SPW :) Sorry to hear about your panic attacks. I hate having them too, but the thing with me is that my panic attacks occur at night. I've never really had one during the day, it's weird. They're horrible things to experience.

Hi Snowgirl,

When I was reading your post, I was like OMG i can so much relate to this!
I have panic attacks every week and it is frightening.
You get out of control sudden and you don't know what to do.
Best thing is not fight against it, but still you want to get out of that situation!
I know how hard this is, but try to breathe slowly, and count your inhales and exhales. You can do some relaxation techniques.
What works for me, is finding distraction. Focus on something else,
Watch an interesting documentairy or a funny movie or talk to people.
Go for a walk, take a nap (although it's not very comfortable while having a panic attack, it sure helps a lot!) Or maybe you should work out? Like, do sports it makes you produce other feelings, i don't know but when I have jogged for example i feel much better, after it just take a shower (cold shower, is good too), relax on the couch and drink green tea, or tea with a calming effect. You could take oxazepam/diazepam too, it reduces anxiety, but this is only for emergency case, if you have a huge panic attack (which I do sometimes, when i can't escape from the panic). '

Btw question for you, when does your panic attacks show?
For me, it's mostly in the evening hours. So I do breathing exercises or go jogging before evening starts. It works greatly. Or you should do something which make you feel relaxed, read a nice book, do something you enjoy.
Don't stress, just take time for yourself. This will help you feel better so a panic attack has less chance to appear. But I know this can happen anytime, but are you worried about something? do you have things on your mind?
it can all be a cause for your panic, try to work on the things you are worried about, but i know panic attacks can be caused by other things too.

eat healthy, have a good exercise everyday, do things you love, and try to seek help, because u need a therapist who really understands you, right?

Maybe yoga is a tip too? :)

i wish i could give u more advice, but as u know, im in the same position, so i can't tell you any more advice, just what i try to not have panic attacks, i just share. Hope it helps you through this.

take care!

Last edited:

cosmosis

So sorry to hear about all that's happened. I've dealt with alot of similar issues and talked to many people and I've come to realize that panic attacks generally don't just come out of the blue to make life hell (even though that's what it seems like). It always seems to stem from distrust in your own brain or blocking of anxiety or refusing to listen to what our brains are trying to tell us. It can be years in the making. A panic attack is basically your brain finding a time when your barrier is low to push through what has to eventually come out and the fear of that is what actually makes the panic attack. The best and perhaps the only way to overcome panic attacks is to actually encourge them and say ' bring it on!' and they immediately lose their power. It's impossible to give yourself a panic attack by desiring to have one, only the fear of it can cause it. I know its easier said then done, but can be done.

snowgirl

Thank you all so much for your help. I am still struggling.

I would love to be able to talk one on one with someone who is dealing with these same issues. It's horrible!