No one wants to hear it-the stigma of mental health

melissahp

AHH its really annoying, sometimes I get the courage to mention it to a friend about the OCD and they bring up some extreme example and I have to explain, I can't tell them about the OCD or the anxiety disorder at all and its annoying.

Can't tell parents either. I am not one of those emo's that complains all the time, I'm usually the one who listens to everyone else complain! haha and now I can't get anyone to listen.

I hate mental illness and its stigma and that no one understands it and wants to talk about it! thank god for forums only way to vent haha sorry guys for the venting...

melissahp

yah hey? lol, exactly because they see no logic they just "say well stop doing that then!"

Mom is the best, shes all stop looking for problems and look at the positive! hahahahaha Um thats the point, I'm trying but the thoughts keep coming DUH if only pictures of positive butterflies would cure me :)

Some people are frightened by things they don't know. Maybe having a discussion with someone about mental illness is scary to people who have never experienced it.
Maybe they avoid it, because it makes them feel so uncomfortable that they don't know anything else to say to you other than a cliche :(

philly2bits

I think it has more to do with the person not having knowledge of the problem then not wanting to deal with it at all. Take any medical problem. The people to go to for the best advice are of course doctors. They have the most knowledge and can be of the biggest help. The next best level to ask would be people who had the same problem.

melissahp

yah its true that its hard to understand if you don't go through it, but if there wasn't a stigma around it, then you'd be able to talk about your issues like a person who talks about their physical illness. You don't hear a mom saying get over it its all in your head to someone with a physical problem.

The problem with OCD is doubting yourself, for example your thoughts, you wonder if you're going crazy. That might be easier to overcome if people around you wouldn't also think your crazy, or you didn't have to hide it. no?