not able to hold a good conversation

eso

The truth is that all of the conversation techniques in the world won't mean much at all if you have enough anxiety. It's impossible to predict exactly what another person will say, so trying to script what you will say can easily backfire (I've tried this before). The people that are best at conversations are just naturally good at conversations from being outgoing. They always have something to say and it didn't come from looking up conversation starters on the web. They are just blessed with the ability to be social. Many of us are not blessed with outstanding social abilities.

My advice is not to worry about coming up with things to say. The problem here is that you are worried that you not talking is weird. There is nothing wrong with being quiet when you have nothing to say. It's the people that get mad when others are quiet that have the real problems, they are insecure. If they can't stand you being quiet, then that's their problem. Let them suffer, it's not like you are trying to tick them off. Hopefully they learn that there are people that are quiet on earth, it never surprises me how many outgoing people don't understand that there are people that don't like to talk as much as them. I think it's good when people like this meet us, because they grab a better understanding of the people of the world and different personalities.

I looked over this website very shortly and there's nothing wrong with the information in it from a quick skimming. There are definitely different schools of thought when it comes to technique and some of the stuff here may or may not be a good idea to some people practicing different communication models (for example nlp or nvc practitioners or whatever), but for the most part it looks helpful.

The point is this doesn't look like scripted conversations. These are techniques to come up with something on the fly, which is exactly what you're saying. For example, I took a class on connecting and conversation techniques. The whole point of the course were specific techniques on how to listen and react. This changed my life because afterwards I was simply not afraid to talk to people anymore (not as much as usual anyway) because I have listening techniques that I know that will keep me able to hold the conversation. It just flows naturally. Yes, I still run into awkward silences but for the most part I don't care about those. With the right knowledge you can start breaking the anxiety circle.

Newtype

I know how you feel. There's this girl at skool that I've been wanting to talk to for the past month but I never do because even if I gather enough courage to say the first few lines, then I know that I won't have anything else to say to her and it will be awkward. I look at other people and it's so easy for them, I don't understand why I can't do it too.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I had a moment other day in class during a break. With an awesome laid back dude who and a girl. I went up and initiated convo - then ZOINK! Blank... had nothing to say... was like some invisible bloke with a brain fart gun shot my brain.

Hate those moments. I felt relaxed too going up. So just takes more of these moments and practice.

JamesSmith

I looked over this website very shortly and there's nothing wrong with the information in it from a quick skimming. There are definitely different schools of thought when it comes to technique and some of the stuff here may or may not be a good idea to some people practicing different communication models (for example nlp or nvc practitioners or whatever), but for the most part it looks helpful.

The point is this doesn't look like scripted conversations. These are techniques to come up with something on the fly, which is exactly what you're saying. For example, I took a class on connecting and conversation techniques. The whole point of the course were specific techniques on how to listen and react. This changed my life because afterwards I was simply not afraid to talk to people anymore (not as much as usual anyway) because I have listening techniques that I know that will keep me able to hold the conversation. It just flows naturally. Yes, I still run into awkward silences but for the most part I don't care about those. With the right knowledge you can start breaking the anxiety circle.

I came off kind off bad in my post. I do think this stuff could work for certain people, I guess I was just speaking for myself. I had some bad experiences trying conversation starters.

What site is this that you are talking about? I'd like to see what it says.

My problem isn't just not having things to say, it's being afraid to even walk up to people and talk to people, especially groups. Even if I have things to say, I'm often afraid to say them. Most of the time I try to avoid people altogether and don't like talking to people. Like how you say it "flows naturally," that doesn't happen in most cases for me. My anxiety problem is very extreme.

eso

I came off kind off bad in my post. I do think this stuff could work for certain people, I guess I was just speaking for myself. I had some bad experiences trying conversation starters.

The website the other person linked to right before you posted. I thought you were responding directly to them. If you didn't know, then my comment to you probably doesn't really apply then.
Conversation techniques

JamesSmith

The website the other person linked to right before you posted. I thought you were responding directly to them. If you didn't know, then my comment to you probably doesn't really apply then.
Conversation techniques

This site is great, but I think the biggest problem someone like me would have is I am too afraid to start a convo with someone and I don't even have the desire to talk to people that I don't know very well or at all. I feel like I don't care about people. I don't want to show interest in other people. I'm starting to wonder if I'm a bad person. I've never even really thought about how much I don't want to have anything to do with people until now.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

This site is great, but I think the biggest problem someone like me would have is I am too afraid to start a convo with someone and I don't even have the desire to talk to people that I don't know very well or at all. I feel like I don't care about people. I don't want to show interest in other people. I'm starting to wonder if I'm a bad person. I've never even really thought about how much I don't want to have anything to do with people until now.

I understand. I dont experience this quite like you do perhaps - for me - I may not show an interest or want to engage in a convo for - all the anxiety and previous experiences and it just becomes so DRAINING - so trying to think ahead just feel all of that - I just lose desire to talk or go through that just doesn't become enjoyable. I wouldnt say Im uninterested tho or dont care or dont want to engage - feels like that sometimes. For me its the draining routine of it that saps a lot of enjoyment outta it because I dont relax. At least these days... wasnt always that way.

eso

I know exactly what you mean. I feel like this often, although not so much now at all as before. But we're talking not even a year ago I had this attitude. I still feel it sometimes now.

What really worked for me was what I mentioned earlier in the thread, basically learning good listening and conversation techniques, then turning it into a game. The best part is you should NOT have a canned statement or idea in your head for anything to say to new people. You basically come into any conversation unprepared aside from your listening skills (I won't go into that because it'd take me forever)

Anyway, about the game... I wanted to see how well I could connect or get a very positive reaction from other people based on the skills I had learned. Mostly this is new people although I still practiced on friends. I preferred new people because it was a real test to see how connected I could get a stranger to me, or if I could actually even make them an acquaintance/contact/friend. It also was good because new people are more likely you probably might not see again, so if it didn't work then thankfully they'd be gone forever. Even if I DID succeed, I might never see them again. Also good, because nothing's lost or gained, just conversation experience and another chance to play the game.

Anyways, back on track. When this becomes a game, you don't really have to care. You're gaming. This is a test of your own skill, not whether or not you care about the boring cat of a woman you're talking to.

What happens is you get a lot more people smiling and paying attention to you and suddenly you are valuable to them. That starts reversing the shy/don't care/can't speak vicious circle most of us are in. The more excited you get about winning your own game, the more people you want to meet, the more you want to talk, and the more you want to keep playing the game.

Now that I think about it, this is all about pleasuring you, not them. They never have to know that what you're doing is just playing a game and keeping score of yourself. It's win-win. They get to talk, you get to practice.

And eventually you might start caring about other people's stuff, at least a little, because you're making friends, you're feeling the emotional highs, you're being active with people, etc. The more fun and positivity you are receiving over time, the more you can authentically give back.

D

deleted user 1

My problem isn't just not having things to say, it's being afraid to even walk up to people and talk to people, especially groups. Even if I have things to say, I'm often afraid to say them. Most of the time I try to avoid people altogether and don't like talking to people. Like how you say it "flows naturally," that doesn't happen in most cases for me. My anxiety problem is very extreme.

I am in exactly the same situation as you, which is why I resorted to coming up with definite ways of directing what little communication I was capable of. No matter how much anxiety you have, you cannot avoid communicating with other people. The better prepared you are, and the more ammunition yo have available, the better off you'll be. I'd rather at least refine my communication than to go into one the same blithering idiot every time. When you suffer from high levels of anxiety, you operate on a more primitive level of the brain, and when you panic you go back to what you know best, regardless of how bad that might be! My strategy, which is slowly working, is to change what I'll do when in those pressure situations.

LonelyWonders

Changing the subject rapidly by things you see. I mean it's pretty easy, use life experiences.. omg the outside of this is blue. Like the ocean. Before I went to the ocean and picked up this dead jellyfish, scrared the.. oh ya. What was I saying? Oh right :D Just use life experiences that can be related to somebody elses life. :D Hehe

Surrogate

Changing the subject rapidly by things you see. I mean it's pretty easy, use life experiences.. omg the outside of this is blue. Like the ocean. Before I went to the ocean and picked up this dead jellyfish, scrared the.. oh ya. What was I saying? Oh right :D Just use life experiences that can be related to somebody elses life. :D Hehe

LOL I'm trying to imagine how this scene would play out in real life..
Good point though. ::p: