Observation regarding my OD

yesnomaybe

I thought I'd share an observation of mine.

i'd been doing really well managing my obsession for several months or so, then a couple of weeks ago i began talking about it again in detail. this is something that i hadn't done in a very long time. i figured that the conversations would do me some good.

well, it turns out that once i started talking about it again, the nagging, uncontrollable thoughts flared up really bad all over. it was as if the electrical signals in my brain had rediscovered the old neural path that led to that bad experience and suddenly wanted to use it for everything.

like usual, i simply dismissed the thoughts as nonsense and attempted to pay them the least amount of attention. this helped, i'm sure, but it didn't noticeably do anything to reduce the problem.

what HAS helped me is writing, reading, and reviewing vocab words during my spare time. i noticed a huge improvement right away (after two or three days) when i began doing this. it appears that challenging and developing my brain developed new paths through which my thoughts can travel, if that makes any sense.

maybe some of you can try something similar, like doing crosswords, learning a new music score, writing fiction, ect. anything that actually exercises and challenges the mind, unlike simply watching tv or playing video games.

Noca

Banned
I thought I'd share an observation of mine.

i'd been doing really well managing my obsession for several months or so, then a couple of weeks ago i began talking about it again in detail. this is something that i hadn't done in a very long time. i figured that the conversations would do me some good.

well, it turns out that once i started talking about it again, the nagging, uncontrollable thoughts flared up really bad all over. it was as if the electrical signals in my brain had rediscovered the old neural path that led to that bad experience and suddenly wanted to use it for everything.

like usual, i simply dismissed the thoughts as nonsense and attempted to pay them the least amount of attention. this helped, i'm sure, but it didn't noticeably do anything to reduce the problem.

what HAS helped me is writing, reading, and reviewing vocab words during my spare time. i noticed a huge improvement right away (after two or three days) when i began doing this. it appears that challenging and developing my brain developed new paths through which my thoughts can travel, if that makes any sense.

maybe some of you can try something similar, like doing crosswords, learning a new music score, writing fiction, ect. anything that actually exercises and challenges the mind, unlike simply watching tv or playing video games.
Playing video games on a professional level exercises the mind too.

Dudley

Fiction! Yes! I get a tremendous amount of peace and focus when I write a (good) story. It really does help take your mind off of things.