OC handwashing

iameatingjam

I have self diagnosed myself with what I think is mild OCD, sometimes I have to set up electronics in way, not use them then have to reset them up a different way, then move that into a different room, then switch that with that but my main problem is handwashing. It goes back maybe 5 years, to 6th grade, I don't know why I started but it was definitely a new thing, I never washed my hands before that. Recently I've started to notice the negative effects, my hands are now almost always red, dry and extremely sensitive, especially the top of my right hand, which if comes into contact with something mildly course, like some of my facial hair, or hot water, gets very rashy and sore. Even though this is starting to happen, I still find myself needing to wash my hands when

I get up
Before and after every meal, or small snack
before and after I go on the computer
every 15 minutes when I'm at work
every 30 minutes when I'm at school
after every cigarette ( 20 a day)
after every washroom break ( I pee a lot)
If I get sweaty
when I go to sleep
or if it has just been over an hour since I've washed my hands
I'm thinking maybe 40 times a day or somethinig

If I don't wash my hands I just feel very uncomfortable and can't concentrate on anything until their clean

What I've been trying to do is like combine acitivites that require handwash, I set a plan in my head, ok so if I go up and eat I should have a smoke and then force myself to go to the wash room, then I can afford to pet the cat a couple times, then I wash my hands once apposed to 4 times if I did them seperately.
It isn't really working

I need help my hands feel dry and rashy and just shitty all the time could does anyone have any ideas?

jbenckiser

Banned
What I've been trying to do is like combine acitivites that require handwash, I set a plan in my head, ok so if I go up and eat I should have a smoke and then force myself to go to the wash room, then I can afford to pet the cat a couple times, then I wash my hands once apposed to 4 times if I did them seperately.
It isn't really working

I used to be like that a few years ago. Getting dirty, and then getting clean. But now I cut out the dirty part and wash my hands only a couple of times a day (although it does take me about half an hour--> 1 hour to wash hands)

So consider not getting so dirty in the first place. The way I do this is using tissue paper to pick things up with. Or gloves (get vinyl gloves- latex leaves a horrible smell) or if all else fails, sandwich bags. They are indispensible for me. You can just throw away the paper/bag/gloves afterwards. I haven't touched a door handle with my bare hands in about 10 years.

Otherwise, you might think about getting some packs of antibacterial wipes. They may hurt your hands though, if your hands are sore already.

Consider getting a tub of aqueous cream and rubbing your hands with it, to remove redness/itching. You only need to do this for a couple of weeks and your hands will be fine. It won't leave your hands feeling oily or greasy either (if you hate Vaseline as I do)[/quote]