OCD question

Candlejack

Yesterday something sharp fell on me on the bus, a piece of a bus ad frame, and it cut the back of my neck. Now I can't help the fear that I contracted HIV or Hepatitis C from it. I checked it after it hit me for any traces of dried blood and didn't see any, but my anxiety is through the roof.

I don't start seeing a psychologist until next week, but I need help in the mean time.

Thanks

dottie

hiv/aids doesn't live on surfaces long. it would have to be pretty damn fresh blood on that surface. hope this helps appease your mind. :)

Candlejack

dottie said:
hiv/aids doesn't live on surfaces long. it would have to be pretty damn fresh blood on that surface. hope this helps appease your mind. :)
It does, and I had hand sanitized on the wound maybe 2 seconds after it hit me. I'm sure as a few days go by my anxiety will decrease, but I want to try and tackle it while it's fresh in my mind.

What are some ways I can challenge this thinking?

RedRibbons

If that same thing happened to me, I'd be worried too, probably...

The thing is, you just need to ignore it.

If you don't feel at ease, read about AIDS. I think having a better knowledge of something will help, but others say it's a bad idea..

To challenge that thinking, you need to not seek reassurance.

de

mate when you start getting therapy for ocd you will be put in situations like you are now,and you will be forced do accept the anxiety you are feeling and not do anything that will give relief like spendding hours looking up information on hiv or washing yyourself with antibacterial or whatever

i know its difficult but just see how long you can live with the ffeeling without doing anything to relieve it

Candlejack

de said:
mate when you start getting therapy for ocd you will be put in situations like you are now,and you will be forced do accept the anxiety you are feeling and not do anything that will give relief like spendding hours looking up information on hiv or washing yyourself with antibacterial or whatever

i know its difficult but just see how long you can live with the ffeeling without doing anything to relieve it
I know what you mean. I asked the doctor at the walk-in clinic if I could get HIV from this, while he was giving me a tetanus shot. He gave me this look like I was insane. I don't think the reassurance is SO bad, as long as it's from a person like a doctor and once you get the reassurance, you don't question it anymore.