OCD ruining my marriage!

kitkat77

Hi all, I'm new here but I've been suffereing from OCD most of my life. I'm a 34 yo married woman and it seems my symptoms have escalated from a minor annoyance to crippling since I turned 30. Here's my problem...I've been with my husband 9 yrs, married for 3. I am obsessed with control and the thought that he's unfaithful. He has never given me a real reason to feel this way. I have to know where he is, what he's doing, when he will be done. I have to know who he's talking to who he's texting, and the content. So much so that I had resorted to checking emails, facebook, Twitter, and the phonebills. I've sorted the phone numbers on the bill to look for unusual patterns and check his phone and read messages. I always question everything to death to check for discrepencies in his story...I know this is a huge invasion of privacy and my anxiety goes over the top for fear of getting caught. I have never found anything but the fear of not knowing and being made a fool of keeps compelling me to do it! After dealing with me for so long, he has become very withdrawn and cold to me and says I'm pushing him away. I have finally made an appt for counseling AMD meda but I fear its too late! I know its irrational and I fear that I'm pushing him to do what I fear! He's resorted to lying about where he's going just so he can get away and breathe for a little bit (he says he's going to his moms but he goes golfing, or says he's in traffic but really went to burger king just to eat in peace for a few minutes of alone time because I'm so smothering) has anyone been through this and can offer me any suggestions on reconnecting after a major OCD meltdown?

Remus

Staff member
Not sure if that's OCD causing that but you really should talk to a professional (and get a full diagnosis) if things have become that serious and basic therapy wont help.

kitkat77

Im sorry, I shoudve mentioned that i was diagnosed about 10 yrs ago. Tried meds about 2 yrs ago but lost my insurance and stopped treatment b4 it really had a chance to help...I have a lot of other ocd traits but this is by far the most destructive...

You should talk to your husband about it too and that youre working in it. He should know. Also take care of your other OCDs before anything happens and good luck :)

OCDd

yea im not even even close to that age and ive never been in a relationship before but ill offer the best advice i can give and that is to seek professional psychological help. maybe get a therapist or a counselor. and also maybe you could talk it over with him while remaining calm just tell him how you really feel just take deep breathes throughout the conversation and just tell him you feel maybe that hes seeing another woman or that you feel you should spend a little more time together, maybe suggest you guys golf together, or go jogging, nothing super time consuming so that it satisfys you and allows him time to himself. also i suggest that you find a physical activity that you enjoy like running and good exercise cause i know that can help releave stress and anxiety. Hope this is able to help you, Good Luck. and remember if you ever need to talk just pm me or anyone else and we talk things over. :)