OCD saying I'm "losing my mind"

limjorino

Ok, well for starters, I have known I've had OCD for 3 years now.

I thought I had been through pretty much everything that could possibly scare me with it. It started out with a huge breakdown about my health, thinking that I would suddenly die of a heart attack or a stroke, or that I would just suddenly stop breathing (this was when I was 16... I know, ridiculous). After being in and out of doctors offices and even the ER a couple times, having insane amounts of tests done just for re-assurance, my mind eventually moved onto harm OCD. That originally lasted about a month, which then moved onto OCD about my sexuality. This was a big one for me, as it's still kinda there to this day, but I'm so used to it by now that I can kind of just shake it off.

I've had lots of abnormal ones here and there too, like (this is a REALLY bizarre one, so bear with me) fearing that I would all of the sudden have the urge to toss my future plans aside and become a priest, or fearing that I would start thinking outloud and not be able to control what I say when I'm speaking to people.

Whatever the case, it seems like most of my OCD fears have always been based around the fact that I'm scared of losing control. Well, the most recent OCD fear that's really been affecting me is my OCD telling me that I'm going to lose my mind. It's been making me have alot of little panic attacks here and there. I'll just be minding my business, and my OCD will tell me that I'm phasing out of reality, and that I'm going to forget who I really am. It's trying to tell me that I'm going to forget about everything I love in life, forget about my past, forget about who I am, etc.

It seems really stupid, but for some reason it's been freaking me out. Sometimes it will feel so real, and although I should be used to calming myself down by now, this just feels different from other OCD fears I've had, in that I can't really find any thoughts to help balance it out. I feel like by thinking these thoughts, I'm really going to turn crazy. And I don't understand it, because it's not like I'm doing any serious drugs that would make me feel this way or anything, in fact I've never done (unprescribed) drugs in my life.

I recently started taking medication again (I had stopped for awhile because for about a year my OCD wasn't as severe), and I'm going back to therapy next week, but in the meantime, I was just wondering if anyone else had ever been through something similar to this.

Last edited:

LeeAnne

this is a quick reply: I can totally relate to the fear of losing control.

I fear talking outloud and going crazy. I have done stuff like that before. Some impulsive stuff I used to do when I was younger. Now I am afraid of it. I am afraid of doing alot of things, and failing.

limjorino

this is a quick reply: I can totally relate to the fear of losing control.

I fear talking outloud and going crazy. I have done stuff like that before. Some impulsive stuff I used to do when I was younger. Now I am afraid of it. I am afraid of doing alot of things, and failing.

Ah, sorry to hear that. Glad to know it's not a total abnormal fear though.

LadyWench

I'm sorry to hear that you've gone through (and still going through) such a rough time. I've had OCD since I was about four years old, but my OCD has mainly been about health worries. I'm a big hypochondriac. So, I can definitely relate to the first fear you said you had with your OCD. And I'm sure my obsessions and fears come from the same root yours do: losing control.

I really hope that you can get past this current fear you have and move on. Although, I know that's a lot easier said than done. I wish there was more I could say/do to help you. Especially since I know what you're going through. But alas, there's only so much I can do via Internet. Not to mention I just suck at helping, heh.

Hopefully getting back on medication and attending therapy can help you. I just got a new therapist and in only three sessions, she has helped me so much. But it also depends on the therapist you see, your connection with them, etc.

This is long and boring. Sorry about that. I hope you will see better days...