online friends?

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
When is a friend actually a friend

I've been reading a lot on here about how lots of people are isolated socially (me included) and I read a post about people not having any friends at all. It was so sad. (weird considering I'm one of those people..I don't get that).
Are you scared you'll have no real life friends forever? It's so strange, I crave close personal friends, but it's like I don't trust anyone to be my friend. I watch TV shows like 'how I met your mother' 'big bang theory' and 'friends' and would love to have a close group of friends like those. But I feel more at ease on my own. Does anyone else crave friendships like that too, but can't bring yourself to form them?

Last edited:

Feathers

I have friends, but they're more like 'one on one friends', from different places, not a group of people... I kinda had a group of people at the Uni, but then we went all over the country... I kinda wish I'd have a core group of people too, though not sure if I could cope with it, lol!

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I am sick of hearing the words "real life friends". It implies that people you talk to online are just bots with no feelings.

fate12321

I only have a few friends, but we really don't hang out much like the groups from people on T.V.. It would be nice to have a very close friendship like those people.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
It's hard to develop an actual bond with people from the internet. One day they could be gone.

That can happen just as much offline. It matters how the person acts, not where they live. if they're a good friend, they will care enough to talk to you.

Here is my two cents on it. It's easier to open up to strangers online because initially there is nothing for you to judge them on. Looks.. Behaviour.. Habits etc. The link is more "direct". The judgement comes later.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Yea 'Hellhound', when I say 'real life friends', I mean it in a sense where you can look upon the person with your own eyes,touch them etc. Not through a monitor or speak to them using a keyboard. I don't mean to come across as demeaning an online friendship at all. Unfortunately online friendships CAN be cut off abruptly (for whatever reasons) and the other person is left hanging wondering what happened..

And yes, I too almost..sort of become (in my own mind) part of the script/show when watching those tv shows. I feel so much more at ease one on one, but with a group, that social 'dis-connect' happens..

Kiwong

I'm more fearful that I can no longer communicate with people due to fear. That my anxiety will get so bad I will not be able to hold a job, or do the necessary interactions needed to go out into the world of people.

JohnnAY

It's hard to develop an actual bond with people from the internet. One day they could be gone. I've had it happen to me before. I thought we were good friends. Talked everyday. Then one day they just stopped coming online.

It hurt and sort of made me feel less connected with anyone online.

Sorry to hear about that steiner, I’ve made the mistake of becoming too invested in people I met online also.

I truly believe one of the main goals in life should be to develop deep and meaningful friendships. I guarantee you that your quality of life will improve with the right company.

Online acquaintances are beneficial to some extent. But not being in the present moment physically and figuratively with them certainly has its limitations. Arguing over a video game, road trips, stumbling home together from a bar, etc.… all of it encompasses your connection to a person. It is completely incomparable to a relationship that is solely regulated through a small chatbox on your computer. It’s one thing for them to send you a text asking if you’re okay; it’s another when they show up at your doorstep.

Whoopdeedoo

When youre young
the worlds your oyster
full of wonder and possibility.
Than you branch off..
College, work , marriage , kids....extended family, coworkers
Obligation & responsibility takes over your life
Til you can just about breathe.
Youre lucky if you have time & energy for friends
So You cope or you pop

Birth , school , work , death
The godfathers (1988)
Lol

Last edited:
Here is my two cents on it. It's easier to open up to strangers online because initially there is nothing for you to judge them on. Looks.. Behaviour.. Habits etc. The link is more "direct". The judgement comes later.

Agreed,online interactions remove those barriers

TLB

I have friends both online and off. I really like online friends, it means I can make friends that aren't restricted to the 20 mile radius of my house haha. I like a diversity of friends, it's healthy. You're all more than welcome to talk to me, I'll be your friend :)