Panic disorder destroying relationship!

Kustamogen

Banned
This is more of a venting than anything. Just dunno what to do anymore!! The gf and I have been together almost 11yrs (Im 29). My anxiety was fairly manageable for the first 4 or 5 yrs of the relationship...I was still able to go out with her and do stuff....but the last 5 or 6 years my anxiety as declined rapidly. Im not able to do...well...anything really. Im pretty much hermitized!

The gf has been pretty good about it all. She has done 99% of the coming to see me to hang out and all that. I push myself as much as possible to try and do normal things with her (go to the pub/go to a friends etc). The last few years she has been super busy with 2 jobs and muay thai training almost 3hrs a day. So I see her either not at all or for an hour at night (when shes exhausted). So in summer she was able to buy a house....and we looked and looked and I told her areas I would be comfortable enough to live. Then out of no where her/her parents (they were putting a lot in on the down payment for her) bought a house that was pretty far out of my comfort zone!!! But I decided to move in anyways. But the same **** happened and we never saw each other and I would have to spend the days at my parents (then Id go back "home" at night to be with her for the hours before she would go to bed).

Anyways I decided I cant handle it anymore and am looking for a place of my own near my parents where I am more comfortable. We are both depressed about it all. She tried to help me by not going to the gym on the odd day but that still didnt make things much better, and we fought all the time about her taking more time off from the gym but she wouldnt budge much!

SO now we have the same problem. I feel we never see each other, she knows this but doesnt seem to care as much, and is stressed/upset that she always has to come to me...and that we can never do "normal" couple things. I just dont know if we should keep pushing on and just deal with a relationship that would be awesome if I didnt have my panic disorder, or just end things to make her happier?! I know Im not going to get better anytime in the near future and Im sick of being upset all the time. She resents me if I try and hold her back from anything she likes doing, and I resent her for seeming to not try and be around more.

11yrs is a long time...more than 1/3 of my life!!! Half the things I do to push through my anxiety is to try and make her happy. I think if we ended things I would turn into a agoraphobic hermit! (well...more so than I am)

UGH I dunno what to do....and sorry we just had a fight about everything so Im just typing out my issues....probably doesnt make much sense!

Kustamogen

Banned
Get yourself some meds and therapy/help asap before it gets any worse.

In all this time Ive seen 8 or 9 various therapists, and been on a A LOT of different meds (all of which has made me worse due to ****ed up withdrawals/side effects). Im done both of those for awhile!!!! maybe someday Ill feel like trying something again. But the last few years I had been on a lot of crap and seen a lot of docs and Im sick of it.

Like you say 11 years is a long time, i think the first thing you need to do is tell her exacially how you feel so she know's , i think you should try get help from your doctor before you make any big decisions.

ou2saved2

You will need to try a lot of different things so it is very important to write down and make a note of all the drugs that didnot work this way you will not try them over. Time is of the most importance because you can only handle so much before retracting so make the best of it when you do try other medicines. One thing that may be a no brainer but I had a lot of problems with is caffeine, dont drink anything with this stimulant and no chocolate either. I know like I said I had problems quiting and have only done so for the last 2 months and WOW what a difference no palpations or fast heart beats and this is a dramatic change that reality brings my confiedence up well until someone whats to be a real jerk.

Kustamogen

Banned
I quit pop a couple years ago and a lot of junk food too....and honestly I noticed NO difference...haha I was really hoping I would!!! I go weeks on/off of eating chocolate with no real difference in how I feel.

I know I COULD eat better....and have been trying to lately

ou2saved2

I know how you feel. I was at a point where I just could not go anywhere. I mean I could not leave my home. I even panicked when I had to order pizza. All the meds was not working and my gf was about to leave, she did. I hate s.a. it destoys life and love. but dont give up because it will ease up in time. you must know this you wont always feel the way you do, feelings are not facts and dont be so hard on yourself look man you are dealing with a mental disorder that is it it has nothing to do with you as a person. You seem to really care about things and that is something!

When i was with my ex, i got anxiety 3 years into the relationship i would try tell him all about anxiety and what is made me feel like, he looked at me like i was stupid.. I'm sure he thought i was making this thing up.

Krista

Eleven years is an incredibly long time to stick with someone, I don't want to butt into anything but you said most of everything you push yourself to do with your anxiety is to make her happy. Might I venture a question, do you still feel as strongly in love with her as you did awhile back?

James1

Take on exercise and deep breathes when ever you find an anxiety attack coming on or even before, it sure does help. Gradually stop taking medications as in the long term they mess you up and make you prone to mood swings. Its all about releasing pressure on your self and one thing I can tell you is that the "natural" treatments are the best.

Kustamogen

Banned
Well....its been a long time coming but it looks like the girlfriend of 10+yrs are done. Well....not done but we're on a "break" I guess....doing our own thing for awhile....see what its like without each other.....to me....it feels like the beginning of the end....she just wants more from me that Im not able to give due to my panic disorder. So....not sure......Im not even that upset about it....it sucks.....but I dont really care anymore.

Last edited:

Iseesky

Awww. :( I've never been in a relationship, so I don't have any personal experience....But, you may be better off. As the saying goes, you can't love someone else until you love yourself. Since you're both going to be away from each other for awhile, you have time to work on yourself without having to worry about pleasing her or wondering what she'll think.
I don't know what other advice to offer you as you've said you've been on plenty of meds and seen lots of therapists. Maybe it's something you have to overcome yourself? Without anyone elses help? Slowly...I dunno, but I wish you lots of luck!

Helmaninquiel

Man how the hell did you manage a relationship? I'm house bound and I can't even begin to think of dating someone unless I met someone who had SA. My best friend and I both have similar problems and we get along just fine.

Kustamogen

Banned
well she was around for a few years before my anxiety got really bad....so she knows how I used to be.....I guess since then shes been hoping I get back to that point?....its been a BIG struggle and she has been great about it all.....but I guess its too much now for either of us.