Paranoid about my facial expression

jd03

Hey everyone...
Was just reading all the replies and comments...theyre great because we all get to vent. I have the same prob....people get this weird look when they look into my eyes...it never used to be like that, just started out of nowhere like 5 years ago. Its very hard for me to have one on one conversation with someone, I dont know how to react or when to smile or how my smile looks to them..... I know this all sounds ridiculous, but Im a young handsome guy and I dont know whats gooing on but it needs to be resolved. Is it social anxiety, is it asbergers syndrome? What the hell is going on and how do we cure/get rid of it?

Hey you are not alone haha. In school i am constantly worrying about how my face looks and since i have my lip pierced, i start playing with it because i get so anxious.

Len

I have the problem that when I don't know how to act I just put on a big smile. I have had people tell me I have a nervous disposition so I started to try and relax my shoulders and not flinch so much. But I still appear anxious with people and they sense this and it makes me feel worse. I spoke to a shrink for the first time and years and she told me that I need to learn breathing exercises and perhaps meditation.

I'm not an expert or anything but I suggest to people to look up their community education centre and find courses dealing with meeting people, relaxation or breathing. For me, the problem is circular I feel anxious and I feel that other people feel that I am anxious. If I learn to relax before meeting someone then maybe they won't get the sense that I am nervous and treat me funny.

Anyway just a thought. Not saying I practice what I preach but I am trying!!!

al1

people who comment on another persons face expression should keep their opinions to themselves, if they have nothing nice to say keep it SHUT! its so annoying- i wouldnt dream on remarking on someones expression esp aloud to them! its these exact comments which cause peoples faces to be expressed in this way and remarks like this (from horrible people who dont mean a thing to you) can stay with you and affect how you think of yourself-

al1

Pinker said:
recluse i'm the same! My dad tells me to cheer up a lot, but i'm thinking.. hmm this is my normal face expression! It probably won't make you feel any better but victoria beckham said she has the same problem...

that can give hope- victorias landed herself a footballer even with this prob

Argamemnon

It's not my fault if I look serious or angry or whatever. Every person has a different personality. People who don't like my facial expression can kiss my a**.

Sacrament

al1 said:
Pinker said:
recluse i'm the same! My dad tells me to cheer up a lot, but i'm thinking.. hmm this is my normal face expression! It probably won't make you feel any better but victoria beckham said she has the same problem...

that can give hope- victorias landed herself a footballer even with this prob

Um, yeah, I don't really think Beckham cared about that specific trait on Victoria.

kuhtreen

I feel like that too. When I'm walking around by myself in public, and also when I'm talking to someone and making eye contact. I always stress about the way my face looks when I'm listening to someone speak. Do I look uninterested? Am I making an ugly facial expression? A weird one? And it just goes on and on and on...

j_brown87

Banned
When i go out iam kinda alright at first. Iam so focused on my surroundings that when i see i got a strange look or someone just looked at me for a second and then away, my paranoia starts, like why is he looking at me just for a second, do i look so scared, am i appearing strange. I know iam unreal, it could be alot of different reasons for that, but as you all know when you in the situation its different. Iam tryin to convince myself that my emotions are just trying to fuck with me, but it doesnt help at all

Masgant

Yach,the worst is when other react with facial expression like i have. I hate it,especially when i am in class. My lecturer`s face changes like a montser, as i have, sad, red eye, can not concentrante etc, then it influences all of my friend in class. Oh god..

caitlynx

Recently I've been obsessed over my facial expressions. :(
It's horrible when in the middle of a conversation I realize my face is practically quivering due to nervousness, and then I get so self-conscious that I tense up further, which I know is making whoever I'm talking to tense and nervous too. The best technique I've used in the past has been to start breathing deeply (as quietly as I can) while in the middle of conversation - it forces my facial muscles to relax.

bluepisces

yes , i understand sometimes my eyes hurt from looking at someone in the eyes, its weird,and that comes across as though im hiding something, try not to focus on your face, focus on your words and your surroundings.

al1

Videotape said:
that's the question i hate....'Are you OK?'
yes wer okay if you stop asking us this
kuhtreen i agree with u.

masgant- i know- why do people do this- if someone looks sad- i dont copy their expression- i try and stay positive

I'm in the same boat, when ever I look at myself in the mirror I think "damn that guy is sexy!" but in pictures and stuff I always look awkward and kinda mad lol
Plus my nuetral face looks like a frown wich kind of annoys me because I have to hold a smile all day just so that I don't get that "you look sad", wich I'm happy to say I haven't heard in a long time

Argamemnon

I always try to show a "perfect" facial expression to the outside world, which shows no fear, anxiety etc.. and this is extremely exhausting, as I have to suppress all my emotions in the process. This must be a typical symptom of social anxiety.

froghat

Yeah, I'm like this also. My facial expression always looks sad, angry, or mean and when I try to put a happy expression on I just look goofy. I think I'm gonna start chewing gum or something, so my mouth has something to do besides frown and look scary. Maybe that will help.