Parents-better not tell them?

melissahp

I understand why my mom doesn't want to hear about my OCD, because she is a firm believer in "focusing on the good and not the bad" so in her eyes its weakness to talk about it, and also counterproductive.

Are there really some things that shouldn't be said? I feel confused because my whole life I lied about my Obsessive thoughts, and when I finally told my psychologist I never felt more relieved in my life. Hiding it made the thoughts feel worse because I thought I was a psycho.

On the other hand, my mom WOULD think I was psycho if I told her my thoughts, although I never want those thoughts, they just come I can't help it and thats OCD. I feel that with this new view on my condition being the cause I already see improvement... I don't feel as out of control I feel less freaked about the thoughts.

I've already tried to talk to her, look further for the response by her, a psych nurse... my mom.... crazy....

Last edited:

Silvox Black

What you should be questioning is whether you believe your mother is trustworthy and will truly understand who you are and why you are the way you are. If you find that your mother is an ignorant fool who is close minded and unwilling to understand matters beyond her own eyes, then I would suggest not speaking to her at all. However if she is fortunate enough to be the kind, caring sort, then if you are willing to risk it, speak with her.

melissahp

the thing is... I have a brother who IS diagnosed with psycopathic tendencies, he's actually been seriously ill his whole life, and was in trouble with the law and now he is in jail... so I see where she would be scared... she is scared I might turn out like him? she also thinks that talking about it is weak and counterproductive.... perhaps I should respect that because maybe she is more fragile than I think? maybe she would think she is a bad mother because she has two psycho children?

LockieKermit

Consult your phychologist and see what she says. Dont just poor all this information onto your mum but let it out nicely.

melissahp

yah, thats what I think too, I didnt pour it all out, actually I told her pretty timidly, cuz I never told anyone in my life, but I aggree i will ask my psychologist, I do think its better if I don't though, cuz in some weird way she is probably pretty fragile and can't hear that.. .so maybe just a little white lie and keep it from her

Miami

It took alot of courage for me to tell my parents my problem.

They now know and I was glad I told them because they helped me get help and are helping me themselves so I can get over this

Hellhound

Super Moderator
If you think she would understand.. you should tell her. Now, if she's afraid of these psychological problems or you think she might freak out, maybe the best would be not to tell her o_O

melissahp

anyway when I did tell her I had OCD without describing the thoughts she was pissed/annoyed wutever, then when I tried to tell her some people have those thoughts she ranted about those psychos going to hell and all that... we argued over the differences between a psycho killer and someone with OCD who would never go through with it, she said she doesnt believe it and doesn't want to excuse those people thoughts/behaviors etc. W.E.'s guess that means I'm not telling her, unless maybe after I'm "cured" no point right now she will probably hide the knives and lock her door at night or something.. judging by the way she freaked, or maybe call the excorcist... gotta love trying to convince ppl of ur sanity when u have trouble convincing yourself hey??

melissahp

lucky bunch of people who can talk with their rents about this and not be judged.. thats wut kept me from the psychologist all these years