People talking about you behind your back

shy_miss_fly

I just recently got a new job and I have been there for about 3 weeks now. There are these 3 girls, who have started talking about me behind my back. At first I thought I was just being paranoid, but now I know for sure because I heard them. Also they all know how to speak punjabi, so they will talk about me right when Im in the room, except I dont know what they are saying because its in punjabi. This is not helping my SA at all. I dont even know what they could be talking about, I think Ive been really nice to everyone. I dont know what's worse, them talking about me or that Im letting it get to me so bad. I keep obsessing about it and trying to figure out what I have done or doing. I wish I could just shrug it off and not think about, but I cant! I dont want to quit because its a really good job and I like it and I dont want to confront anyone about it because I think that will just make things worse. I hate this!! :x

black_mamba

Shit that sounds horrible. I understand how difficult it can be to go about your work when you need to be around people who you know discuss you behind your back, urgh! Talk about paranoia coming to life.

Lets go stab their eyes with forks, whaddya say?

joshueg

Hi, Shy miss, well , it is my first day here but your message is the first one i have read and i think those girls may have not received a good education and that' s why the talk in punjabi. They are so unsignificant that they don't dare talk in English, because they may be scared of you, of your professionality, well, i don't know. :?:
Anyway if you like the job, you shouldn't quit it, do not pay that much attention to people you are not interested in and whose words you don't understand. I think you have many more important things to do that worrying about such stupid people :D

Sorry for my English, it is not my mothertongue

Chilling__Echo

i feel ya, when i was in high school, my best friends were 3 girls and everyone talked about everyone behind their backs. it was hard. eventually i said "fuck it" and i left the group and never went back. now i have friends that i trust with my life.

i'm sorry that's happening with you. sadly, work is a place where alot of gossip goes on, they sound really rude!! i don't have any suggestions, but be honest with you, i probably would have left already. maybe talk to one of them one on one? i don't know what the best thing to do would be...

by the way, what is punjabi?

Chilling__Echo

it took a while. it took being choosey and i pay for it by spending alot of time by myself as i don't have too many. i went from having a network to a few that i see every now and again. i try and seek out people with values. they are the least likily to judge you and won't take you for face value.

redlady

People talking 'behind' your back right in front of you is just evil - i hate people like that. I am not a violent person, but man i feel like smashing people in the face who do that.

shy_miss_fly

Chilling__Echo said:
by the way, what is punjabi?

Its a language thats spoken in India. Im from Canada, BC and there's lots of indo canadians here. Im the only white girl at my work lol.

lostboi

Well that has to suck. miss_fly. It sounds like they might be harassing you but if you can't tell for sure that has to be even that much more annoying. How rude. I would say just blow them off and focus on your job but i know thats much easier said than done.

bluenow

If you are going to stay, learn some punjabi. I have a friend that was in the same situation with women that spoke Spanish. She hated it the first month, but now loves her job and the women. Good luck to you.

refined_rascal

Shy_miss_fly,

Your story sounds very similar to my own. My heart goes out to anyone who suffers at the hands of workplace bullying of any kind. Because that's exactly what it is - BULLYING!

I have been working in my current job for 4 years now, and I've pretty much hated every minute of it. You may be asking why I don't just find myself another job? Well, I guess it's a case of 'better the devil you know, than the devil you don't'. It sounds like a pretty lame excuse, but at least where I am now, I have managed to work my way into a job where I spend the majority of my time on my own - plus the money is pretty good!

Anyway, my problems started almost from day one. Before my current job, I worked for a company in my home town, until my work colleagues somehow managed to find out about the therapy sessions I was attending at the time due to my SA, (When I say 'somehow', I mean I KNOW exactly how they found out. But it would make a long story even longer). So you can probably guess the kind of comments I began to receive from then on, such as, 'He's got a screw loose' or 'we're not meant to talk to you, because it might upset you' etc etc.

So due to the understanding and empathy I received from work colleagues, I ended up spending almost a year on sick-leave (almost losing my house in the process due to mortgage arrears). Until I finally plucked up the courage to get off my arse and go back to work.

I finally landed an interview at a double-glazing firm, and to my amazement was offered the job. This was when the real problems began!

It was only after I started my new job, that I found out that someone I used to work with had started work ther a month earlyier. So when this person heard of my imminent arrival, they had obviously 'primed' everyone else with certain information about me (as well as a good dose of lies and innuendo).

Almost from the first day, I began experiencing strange looks from people. These strange looks were then accompanied by 'cuckoo' noises and 'whooping' noises whenever I was around. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what was going on at first. And like you Shy_miss_fly, I began to feel paranoid about certain peoples behaviour toward me.

Along with the 'noises' I would hear, people would also punctuate their conversations with phrases relating to mental illness and depression (which tells you a little something about the ignorance and general stupidity of certain individuals).

As time went on, I was (and still am) subject to rumors of homosexuality. This is probably based on my low number of relationships with women since the onset of my SA (no girlfriends, no friends at all in fact). To be the subject of such rumors is absolute hell within the blue-collar environment I work in.

On several occasions I have confronted people about the problems I'm experiencing. I have taken it to management level with absolutely no satisfactory outcome. I think their attitude is more toward the (relatively) smooth running of the factory, rather than sorting out the problems of an individual employee. I have even threatened certain people with violence because I have been driven to breaking point. But where does this get anybody except a spell in prison? How can anyone fight against a tide of prejudice such as this?

The truth is, i don't actually care what these people think about me - I really don't. The thing that hurts me is the fact that none of them have the guts to say these things to my face. it simply boils down to cowardice. They can't even say these things to me whilst they're in a group, let alone individually! I would absolutely love one of them to say something to my face instead of behind my back. because I think the release of tension I'd get from kicking the crap out of them would be enormous! Though I wouldn't recommend violence (usually).

Once again Shy_miss_fly, I can relate to what you're going through at the moment. And I can only hope that these people get what is coming to them tenfold! Hang in there! And this goes for anyone suffering at the hands of bullies. Because bullying doesn't just happen in school.

Regards

Matt

If I was working in a place with lots of forgein talk I bet I would probably always be thinking that they were talking about me behind my back. In college I always thought people would be making commets because I did hear comments and still do. Why can't people see that just because a person isnt looking in their direction they can still hear what they are saying. It seems like people assume your deaf or something

Dandylioness

Ive been through a similar situation and its what made me realize I had an anxiety disorder.You should speak to your boss otherwise you'll end up having attacks all the time and having to quit your job, and you shouldn't have to.

Fidgey

Oh my God you have just listed one of my pet hates. People that can speak English yet choose to speak in whatever else in front of you.
So rude that, especially when there is laughter involved :oops:

cutia10

i
ShadowCat said:
now i have friends that i trust with my life.

! How did you do that? I mean, how did you find such good friends?
:p

i was i your same position and know those three girls are saying they wern't talking be hind me back and because of it i quit . :roll:
one a eoupeans girl and she come form and very close family and she has hurt me the most and i can't even tell her. well i believe in karma?

coriander1992

I would go upto them and say
"I am very sorry that I have upset you so much that you feel the need to talk about me behind my back and make me feel inferior, I apologise for anything I have done and I hope you accept my apology and will stop talking about me"
If they are human at all that wil make them feel bad...