Peoples reactions to you...

blue

How do you cope with the people around you?
I have just moved house and have 2 children so i am expected to be chatty and social.........I find this really difficult.
Because i tend to think people dont like me or notice im different to them it makes me feel nervouse . I think some of my neighbours have picked up on it and have started being really shit, like making sure we carnt park our car outside our house and i heard one of them mimic me the other day :(
Has any one else experienced things like this ? It makes me feel really edgy when i have to walk down my street :(

corrinaelizabeth

i know how you feel,and i find it very hard to relate to other people especially strangers.
i must admit im getting alot better bout walking down the street,and i know youve heard this before but its very important to keep forcing yourself to walk down the road,also try listening to a walkman or something thats helped me loads,i can actually walk down the road without it now,which i never thought i could ever do,so you must keep doing it honestly or else it will just get worse and worse

Skog

blue said:
How do you cope with the people around you? (

I'm not chatty, either. Sometimes I try to plan ahead. It helps if I have thought of maybe 3 topics that I might use either as a conversation starter or something to transition to if someone else has tried to start a conversation with me. It might be a TV program I saw, a movie I read about, or something on the front page of the newspaper. I just need to have something I think I can say 3 or 4 sentences about or a question I can ask that I think will give the other person an opportunity to talk about in response. Ideally, what will follow will be a normal conversation of at least a few minutes, but sometimes it just comes out awkward and there are just sentence fragment answers that don't result in a conversation.

perwita

They talk bad about me behind my back and when they talking to me they treat me like i am stupid or i am crazy sometime they take advantage from me. :evil:

scorpion

Sometimes i do this stupid thing, i pretend i dont see people i know, or i pretend i dont recognize them, its not because i am a bad person its just i am afraid of rejection, so i reject them first. The result is i give a prety bad impression of myself, and it ends up in rejection any way. They reject me because i am pretty stupid, so the thing iam afraid in the first place happens anyway.
So i cant cope whith people very well.

Meow

I get confrontational when someone gives me crap, I just moved to a new town in a new state and dyed my hair bright red and some horrible girls outside of a restaurant started pointing, laughing and giggling... so I got all confrontational and told them where to go.

Other than that i'm a pretty nice person but fairly quiet, If someone says hi i'll say hi back and I do smile at people. This all used to be more difficult than it is now. If i'm with a group of people I don't know I like to kind of blend into the background and not say too much, or just make people laugh. That's kind of my thing.

But yeah, I like to be left alone and keep to myself basically, if people start giving me crap then I get pretty mad. I just hate judegmental people. Ohhh you've got tattoos, piercings and red hair! :roll: Dun dun dunnn! haha.

Meow

It is horrible living in an area with people like that. There's idiots like that here and they make me feel singled out when I go out by myself. I just can't stand narrow minded people. Argh it's getting me worked up talking about it :evil:
I want to move back to Cali or back home to England :( They're mean here!

social_phobia2009

scorpion said:
Sometimes i do this stupid thing, i pretend i dont see people i know, or i pretend i dont recognize them, its not because i am a bad person its just i am afraid of rejection, so i reject them first. The result is i give a prety bad impression of myself, and it ends up in rejection any way. They reject me because i am pretty stupid, so the thing iam afraid in the first place happens anyway.

That's an interesting strategy, but i don't think it's the way out of avoindant personality.

I prefer to stay neutral and dont leave ANY impression to anybody.

In the past i played roles so to disociate myself and their reaction towards me. I was fooling myself into thinking that they thought that way about that character i created. Of course i got tired. :lol:

SunnySun

I am new to this forum. I just read a few of the posts. I have an avoidant personality sometimes. Many times it is with people whom I don't trust to treat me well.

I am thinking that this cannot me a disorder because there are quiet numerous people that refuse to acknowledge others.

For example, there was this guy from high school who was always friendly with me and talked to me in high school. Last year, I saw him walk by out the grocery store and he saw me but looked down. This was SO not like him. I saw another girl who used to wave and be friendly in high school and junior high, and she was with a friend looking at me strangely like she didn't want to acknowledge me. This wasn't like her.

I have had a customer from a store I worked at who saw me, but she pretended not to at the grocery store. Sometimes she was friendly when she needed to and sometimes not. Her husband was the super friendly one who always acknowledge me. This woman is talkactive with the other coworkers and certain customers. I don't understand them sometimes.

Some people are just so unpredictable or they are friendly on and off that I just simply avoid them. It's like what's the use in getting hurt by the unpredictable ones who refuse to be friendly when they wanna and friendly another time?

scorpion said:

I do the same thing. The only time I go outside is to walk my dog, and whenever any of my neighbors come by I just start to focus on my dog to make it look like I'm preoccupied so they won't say hi to me. I'm really bad about figuring out when to make eye contact so I just stare at the dog to the point where I do it out of habit now, even in the house when I'm talking to my mom or my sisters.

Skog

scorpion said:
Sometimes i do this stupid thing, i pretend i dont see people i know, or i pretend i dont recognize them, its not because i am a bad person its just i am afraid of rejection, so i reject them first.

I have read the rejection first is a common defense mechanism for various personality disorders. I certainly recognize that I have done that. With respect to not recognizing people, though, I don't need to pretend. I guess it's partly because I don't really look at them when I meet people, but I have been embarrassed many times when I encounter someone who addresses me by name and while I'm vaguely aware that I should know who they are, I just don't have any idea what their name is or the context in which I know them. It sure doesn't encourage further interaction. I fake as much recognition as I can, then try to get away without being found out.

shield

They are just not nice people. They don't get you. It's no big deal, you don't need there approval or anything else from them. There are millions of people out there what's a few lost chips?

dottie

sorry you have to deal with that. gaw, there are so many shitty people this world would be better without.