Photo phobia

GettingThere

Before I developed S P I had no problems with having my photograph taken, in fact I quite liked it. Since I developed S P I have a fear/dread of having my photo taken and I don't seem to be able to smile. The photos usually end up with me looking terrified or pulling a funny face.

Does anyone else have this problem?

If so, do you have way of dealing effectively with it? :?

LilMissTragic

I'm a photgrapher and love taking photos and I also like having my pic taken. I dont however like seeing the results of any pics of me unless i'm actually being silly in the pic. I dont really like the way i look so most of my pics end up in a drawer and forgotten about. At least they will still be there for me to look back and laugh at.

Hope

GettingThere said:
Does anyone else have this problem?

If so, do you have way of dealing effectively with it? :?

I have the same fear. It's tremendous anticipatory anxiety. There was an earlier thread on this topic.

The worst was having my employer put up new pics on the public bulletin board (and web) every year.

Solutions - Action shots sometimes help. Looking slightly to the side of the camera. There seems to be no simple answer.

Anyone else experience this?

tommydog

yer i look like a spastic in photos :lol:

i might be feeling great and i know id look excellent in a photo if it were taken now without me knowing ... but if i had to pose for one im like :oops: :roll: hehe i NEVER look myself in photos

Remus

Staff member
I think I look awful in photos and people who know me tend to agree :lol:

reasurring that I look better in real life I say!

Fredscars

hehe. i never tend to look straight at the camera..though it has happenedd when people catch me by suprise..but i hate them. i always find that ill be really pleased with a photo for once..and then ill look at it and look at is..and i see all the imperfections..and then i hate ity..and then me...

tommydog

yer i dunno what happened to it. i posted a new one .. a passport type photo ... lets see when it gets put up though.

like that photo is a perfect example when you see it. i was in such high spirits at the time, i was with a friend we were having heaps of laughs and everything, i got into the shop to get it done .. all relaxed and happy, as soon as she goes to take the photo i get this glum look on my face !! :lol:

Hi,
I hate having my photo taken too, but its worse for me to look at the result! I avoid looking at myself is shop windows if I can, and if I catch a glimpse of myself I can't stop thinking how awlful I look, and that people will think the same. Does anyone else get these thoughts when you see your reflection? :oops:

LilMissTragic

I hate mirrors!!! I'm starting a anti mirror campaign...oh hang on, wont work, how the hell will we do our hair in the mornings!

pitkreet

I don't like being looked at so I hate it when someone is pointing a camera at me, particularly a stranger (eg a photographer taking my graduation photo). I feel that I'm being scrutinised and there'll be photographic evidence of what a tit I look.

One time, I decided to pull a very obvious cheesey grin (feeling very anxious inside, so in no way was it a natural smile) and to my amazement, the photo actually looked like quite a natural big smile. I've used this technique ever since. I always feel like I'm pulling a very fake great big cheesey grin but they more often than not, the photo looks ok .

Try this technique yourself and see if it works. It takes the pressure off trying to summon up a natural smile when you're actually feeling hopelessly anxious and self-concious.