Physical characteristics

pinkputter

I dont understand why people post negative posts.

At least if they are negative, ask for help, and let it be something temporary so you can change the nagativity.

maggie

relaxed_attention said:
Does anyone remember having a certain physical characteristic that you were really insecure about that might have contributed to your SA? I think that may be true for me. Maybe not what entirely caused it but a good proportion of it. I may have BDD.

Also, since I'm unable to work right now, does anyone know of government assistance in the U.S.A. for independents? Websites or books? Anything? I need to talk to someone and receive meds.

yeah, i did for sure..although i've never really connected it with my SA before. When i was very young, i sucked my thumb and my teeth came in crooked as a result..just kinda stuck out...i needed braces, but i didn't bring it up to my parents..fearing they didn't have the money..and just plain fearing them i guess :( anyway..when i was 20, i paid for my own braces...and guess what? Over ten years later, my brain has still not caught up with the fact that i have nice, straight teeth..and it still feels awkward smiling :roll:

maggie

Emma said:
I'm an ugly freak:

I had so many teeth they wouldn't fit in my mouth and were all in the wrong spot, and I had braces for nearly four years.

I had big giant dumbo ears which I got fixed when I was ten, but it went wrong, my ears turned out pointy like an elf and it the big bandage on my head from it damaged my spine.

I got scoliosis which has given me a hunchback and thrown my knees out so they constantly grind when I walk.

My bottom jaw is malformed and too small so I have a double chin

I am boring, I am not good at anything and know one likes me because I have nothing interesting to do or say.

I think if I was good looking I might be happy, they only thing I have going for me is that I'm not mean to anyone
aww Emma..firstly, i have seen a pic of you..and you're far from ugly!! And remember..all people..but likely esp. people with social anxiety..are their own worst critics when it comes to looks..or anything. You're only focusing on your real or 'perceived' flaws..and not looking at your positive qualities..i guess we just tend to do that..i do it too :evil: I think we tend to feel boring also, cause we don't share our true selves with others..and may 'seem' boring. And when you say 'if I was good looking I might be happy'...not necessarily true. At the risk of sounding arrogant..or stuck-up..(which i am not)..trust me, being attractive doesn't necessarily mean things will feel better for you on the inside..for me, others thinking i'm good-looking, does nothing for how i feel on the inside..it certainly hasn't gotten me any further in my life..and i sometimes feel as though there is added pressure when others look at me..as if i've got it all together..because they like the way i look..i don't know. :roll: But i truly think it's more important to feel healthy and good about yourself on the inside 8)

Amiyumi

Im dying to join in this and put myself down, but pinkputter's right.
At least balance it out by adding something good.

Sometimes tho, i look in the mirrior an think i look nice (normal)
but i never feel like i have the right to say that.
I'll get this voice (not literally) saying "who do you think you are"
...or i guess i'd think ppl would think i dont have the right to say that.
I hate compliments, thats when i gt self consious so they don't
do me any favours.

...if your loved by someone, if they love your looks, faults, then
who else matters? forget what everyone else thinks, they're nt gonna
obsess over our faults anyway. (unless its school)

Ah, i hate my oily skin and how much i sweat when i'm out, my nose
+ eyes - but i love my long black hair + butt :lol:
but i used to hate them to, just keep tryin to accept, love yourself, not against urself.