Politics Presentation, I feel so hopeless

Anonymous

I have a presentation that counts towards my end of year grade for politics where I have to have a debate with another.

Last time i did one I couldn't speak for about a minute, and when I did I had a high voice, trembling and blushing terribly.

I feel so hopeless, I won't be able to pass the year if my presentation is bad (it coutns 50%). What can I do?

PLease help me

Sarah

Michelob512

How long do you have till the presentation? For anyone with any kind of phobia, I recommend the Phobia Self-Help book (see my signature for website)

For once in a while events like your presentation, you might want to try medication. Good luck, it is a shame that a debate counts so much towards your grade

-Jp

i would talk about and explain this to your teacher and see if the two of you can come up with a solution.
as for medications, diazepam is a good temporary tension releaver.

Good luck

Anonymous

thats the hard bit. the debate consists or arguing against another person in the lecture who you don't even know.

Medication, you think I should get some? I have been to my doctor so much lately for other medication, I don't know if I can go back again. I don't know what to say. The presentation is a few months away.

Should I see adoctor, and what do I say? I have had depression for long time, so the SA is kind of tied in with that. I get SA al the time, constantly.

Thanks, any feedback would help. How did eveyone else approach their doctor about it?

Thanks

-Jp

the hard bit is, talking to your teacher about it?
sure you can go back again to your doctor if you feel it is needed, you have a very valid reason to go there..
just tell your doctor you need some kind of medicine to tone down your anxiety and that it has to work instantly because it's for an event.
but i would also try to talk with your teacher or who ever goes about grading you because it would be a waste to not graduate because of anxiety, you see, you probably are very able to debate but your anxiety is keeping you from doing a good job at it.

besides all that i would definately look for some cbt therapy, that way you'll also have a trump to tell your teacher.
like, i can't debate now but i'm working on overcomming the problem and it can be overcome.
but most importantly for yourself ofcourse.

will you be able to debate with someone you know or your teacher? you could introduce that idea to your teacher after explaining what your problem is.

Anonymous

While everybody else will keep on speaking about self help and other shit, you’ll flunk. Buy PROPRANOLOL and pop 20 mgs one hour b4 the presentation.

Michelob512

me- we've already recommended medication. The point is, if you have while before the debate, why not try some other methods for a long term cure? It's not like if she can just get past this that she wont have to worry about SA anymore. And besides, medication doesnt work the same (if at all) for everyone. If she has time, she should explore more than one option

Anonymous

hi

I really appreciate the replies!

As it happens I found a book on so I have been reading that. Its interesting, but I don't really think I have the will power to change. I have it quite bad. Everyday I am constantly anxious, its alienating me.

I might go see my doctor. Any other feedback would be really great.

Michelob512

here's one last piece of advise: try this website- www.emofree.com
this site explains EFT (emotional freedom technique)- read what u can about it, there is a free download to the learn the basics, read the testimonies (they are inspirational). Also, through the site you can contact EFT practitioners (over the phone- how easy is that!) and many of them offer guaranteed results or your money back.

Anonymous

if you do a search for social anxiety in emule you will find and 900mb archive wich contains audio self help therapy wich i have been doing and it is realy good

Anonymous

Same thing

I've got the same feelings.

I'm a musician, playing my guitar, and we've got a gig next week.
I've had many gigs before, but there has been a downtime gigs for about 2 years, under these 2 years i have developed serious SA, which makes me incredibly nervous for the gig. 8O

I found out about the gig about 2 months ago, ive been nervous since that day, and today im going to a therapist/psychologist for the first time in 2 years. :evil:

To prove how serious this is, my voice got unstable and my knees was shaking a bit when i rented a movie yesterday when i walked to the counter. :oops:

I could really use some help.

ps. Might be a few spelling mistakes, english isnt my main language :)