Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

thexenn

I don't think Paris has ever been a Muslim city, it is illegal for woman to wear the burka in Paris now

Yes that's true, France was never a Muslims country. To clear things out, the only Muslim country in Europe is Albania, and the only country in Europe that WAS a Muslim country is just a PART of Spain, and it's not a Muslim country anymore.

//Ex Malo Bonum\\

TryAgain

^To my knowledge, the Moors did invade (southern) France during the middle ages. However, their incursions ultimately led nowhere and I don't think they ever had a solid grasp of that territory. I don't think they ever reached Paris either, though I might be wrong.

As mentioned, they were far more successful in what is nowadays part of Spain *and* Portugal, taking advantage of the chaos in those regions (constant civil wars), and establishing a solid hold there...until the Christian kingdoms in the North went crusader/inquisition mode.

Last edited:

Ithior

Apparently my uncle complained to my mom that I never taught grandma how to use a smartphone and now she's always calling him and putting the calls on hold.

When we bought her the smartphone I was against it. She already had a tablet, but the phone they wanted to give her had the new Android version (Lollipop?) which is completely different from hers (4. something). On top of that, the company that makes those phones also altered the system a bit so it is even more different from hers. With this in mind and the fact that she has some trouble operating her tablet, I told them that I thought that phone was a terrible idea, but they bought it anyway. The system is also different from mine, so I can't really teach her how to do anything. I myself have to fiddle around for a while to figure out how to do something.

My uncle was one of the people who decided to buy the smartphone. Grandma is old so it takes her a long time to learn new stuff. On top of that, I don't like her so I don't want to spend hours upon hours trying to teach her how to use a phone. Besides, I have better things to do with my time, like studying for my masters. He on the other hand is retired. If he has a problem with it, he should teach her. I'm the one who's always fixing her tablet issues, they should have taken my opinion into consideration when making the purchase. Now they have to deal with it.

GraybeardGhost

Funny thing about silence: it's not even really there. It's an absence of sound, a failure to communicate. It's nothing—less than nothing—but man, is it hard to bust through.

MollyBeGood

Here's what i found about the subject of the history of Muslims in France.

Muslims in France from wiki-

As mentioned, they were far more successful in what is nowadays part of Spain *and* Portugal, taking advantage of the chaos in those regions (constant civil wars), and establishing a solid hold there...until the Christian kingdoms in the North went crusader/inquisition mode.

After their conquest of Spain, Muslim forces pushed into southern France. They were defeated at the Battle of Tours in 732 but held Septimania until 759.

In the 9th century, Muslim forces conquered several bases in southern France, including Fraxinet. They were expelled only in 975.[20]

Barbarossa's fleet in Toulon.
During the winter of 1543–1544, after the siege of Nice, Toulon was used as an Ottoman naval base under the admiral known as Hayreddin Barbarossa. The Christian population was evacuated, and Toulon Cathedral was briefly converted into a mosque before the city was regained by France.

After the expulsion of the Moriscos from Spain in 1609–1614, about fifty thousand Moriscos entered France, according to the research of Henri Lapeyre.[21]

grapevine

Arrghh- when you suddenly have a thought- when thinking back on a conversation you had days ago.... and think-- was that person actually taking pity on me and communicating to me in a different way to what I thought they were at the time? Like did that person assume I had no friends and was stalking them on FB??

And then you feel hell embarrassed and want to crawl up in a ball and hide away- but then your confused because it may just be your imagination. xx

Ithior

Pretty sure the dude that sits next to me in Monday's class was looking at something with Japanese on it. It was just a quick glance but I saw a duck drawing and the word かも (kamo) in the corner. Since this was a really quick glance (because he closed the page) I wasn't sure so I waited until I got home to make sure that かも meant duck to be sure those were the characters I saw.

I gotta pay more attention next class, perhaps I've had a fan of anime right next to me all this time, which is pretty cool because none of my friends share any of my interests and if this guy does like anime/japanese then we'd have 2 interests in common.

Ithior

However, my two mates are going straight for project 3. I don't think they have done anything for project 1, and today they skipped class and worked on project 3. They didn't tell me anything, it was the other person in our group that asked in whatsapp if they were going to class and they said they were going to work on this project instead.
I think they are close to finishing it and I have barely even looked at it.

Yep, they have pretty much finished it. The only thing missing was a detail that I spotted, but it is a programming assignment and what I spotted had nothing to do with programming but with the problem we're solving. Basically they complained they could only get a solution half the time, and I told them that half the puzzles don't have a solution.
I didn't do anything, so I'm going to try to change to a different group.

State_Of_Trance

On the one hand I'm nervous about graduating and becoming an adult. On the other hand I feel numb to life.

Anyone else ever feel emotionally overwhelmed and numb at the same time?

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I'm beat on my feet but can't go to bed for a few more hours. It's a long story, but suffice it to say my old nemesis procrastination has gotten me in trouble again.

Also, "gotten"... what a word.

Ithior

Wooo, finally got 80% in a model. Had to do a lot of stuff, changing constantly between R and Weka, but if this is the final accuracy of the model then I'm pretty satisfied. Apparently the best we can get is 84%, which is just a difference of 2 observations incorrectly classified. I spent so much time on this that I'm going to go ahead with this model and write the final report before I run out of time to do it.

nodejesque

Fkng hell. This week has been just horrible. From disappointment, to this unexpected conference in Reno (to which I came unprepared for snow, and therefore am freezing), to paralyzing nightmares that involve all the gore that is going on around the world, to family drama, and finally... To meeting deadlines for school.

There's no escape. Even in sleep, there is no escape.

MollyBeGood

Fkng hell. This week has been just horrible. From disappointment, to this unexpected conference in Reno (to which I came unprepared for snow, and therefore am freezing), to paralyzing nightmares that involve all the gore that is going on around the world, to family drama, and finally... To meeting deadlines for school.

There's no escape. Even in sleep, there is no escape.

That sounds really awful! I hope things let up for you soon! Have you tried meditation or Yoga to relieve stress before? Or even relaxing music can help a lot if you can just unplug from it all for 20 mins.

Ironic right when I logged on here I was thinking I love sleeping and dreaming even when my dreams are weird or silly they are so much better than reality.