praise makes me squirm!

outside_looking_in

Does anyone else have a problem with positive attention? It probably goes back to school and hating being the conspicuous one at the top of the class (once at assembly the headmaster had to read out a story I'd written--as I stood there mortified--because I wouldn't do it myself) but even something like saying a few words to someone in their own language, while I know it's the polite and right thing to do, is impossible for me because of the huge delight and fuss that will ensue 8O

SPECTACULAR

Does anyone else have a problem with positive attention?
I think time has proved that, in this forum, questions like:
does anyone else.................?
are always answered: yes!

I think all of us can relate easily to each other which is a good thing that we understand each other. I too hate when someone praises me. I just feel uncomfortable, i don't know why?

Hellraising

Praise goes to my head first, then after a while I'll start to think that it was fake, that the person was lying, that he or she was just being nice, etc, etc.

Boundless

Im not good at taking praise,guess all the put downs others gave me and i eventually started beliveing and giving my self worked,God has blessed me with a half decent brain shame i cant use it to its full.

redlady

Here she comes all sickly and sweet
To praise you oh taws
Please allow me this treat.........

You are one hell of a poet - wonderfully and frustratingly mysterious and enigmatic - and have one of the most witty and clever, if not a tad dark (but i like that) senses of humour. :wink:

redlady

I can't even think of one - don't sweat it man and you are welcome my friend :D Oh but i did like ladyred though.

JWH

Totally. Every time I hear praise spoken about me, I fill my thoughts with self doubt and reasons why I totally don't deserve any of what is being said. I'm almost happier in a negative environment as I know I have more to work towards than to lose my "shine".

Now that I've lost a considerable amount of weight, this too is becoming an issue. When I was fat certain people would say, "you look beautiful in that" and now they say, "don't you feel so much better having lost all that weight?" I really hate people who will lie straight to your face, as well meaning as they may be it really is destructive to someone like me.

outside_looking_in

Taws wrote: why are there two of the same posts? its not that good of a topic.

Two identical ones by me, or someone else saying the same thing? If the first, it's obviously my shaky hand on the submit button, if the second then I apologise for not having done my homework before posting. Not had much computer access or privacy recently. (Slinks off to rack brains for more obscure topic :?)

I suppose the reasons behind hating praise could be feeling unworthy (perfectionism and high standards again!) or, with compliments, suspicion of the other person's motives. The languages thing bugs me though because I am (or was) good at writing them, and I'd so love to just speak to someone unselfconsciously, but the more I know it's expected or required, the more I can't do it :(