Probanthine/Propantheline

Romax

Has anyone tried any of these? I heard they are one in the same. If so, how often do you have to take it and how much. Do you know where I can get some? My main problem is for head sweating. Thanks! Chris

bill-uk

Chris,

Probanthine/Propantheline are the same thing, one of them being a trading name (I can't remember which). I have posted quite a lot on this medication in threads below and take it occasionally. I probably have taken no more than 40 tablets over the last 20 months when I had them prescribed by my doctor.

They generally do work for me but are short lasting, perhaps 3-4 hours or so. I take them on an empty stomach or they don't work. I have never taken them on a daily basis because I think they will become less effective and others on here have said similar. That said, my prescription is for a daily dose but I have ignored it..

However, when I want to be dry, I take the tablet about 30-45 minutes beforehand on an empty stomach as said. My prescription states that I can take up to 2 at a time and up to 3 times a day, but I only use them before a public sweaty event that I know is coming. It has worked wonders on me when taken before going out for an indian meal with friends when I would normally sweat profusely from the head and neck or when travelling on the tube. It has also worked when out walking when taken this way. But, I too have had the odd occasion when it hasn't worked, but it has been 95% success so far when taken at limited times.

It does give a dry mouth but that is not an issue, just drink water. The only odd side effect I have had is a mild tingling and slight perspiration on the front of my legs, but again only very mild. I actually use this sensation to know that it's working. I don't think I have taken enough or over a long term to know of any longer lasting effects, but my doctor has not warned me of anything to be concerned about.

I have just got 50 tablets from my doctor at a cost of £6 which is the UK prescription charge.

I have just found this site by doing a search that sells them over the internet

http://www.cprx.com/productlisting.asp?page=8&ch=P

but I have to say I know nothing about them or how reputable they are to deal with so that would need to be checked. Also I have no medical knowledge of any type to know if these would be ok for you, so perhaps ask a doctor before trying.

Good luck,

Bill

Kaykay

I got them prescribed by my doctor. I took them twice a day, but they didn't seem to work at all and gave me an incredibly dry mouth so I couldn't swallow food which made me feel ill.
I think they're supposed to work for anywhere which sweats, so go to your doctors to get a prescription and see if they work.

Hope it works out for you :]

bill-uk

Kaykay,

sorry that it didn't work for you, but the way I see it is this for me ....

The alternative is sweat running and dripping down your face, off your nose, chin and temples, your hair soaking wet as if it's raining, drips appearing in front of and behind your ears, your neck glistening with perspiration, the front of your shirt sodden with the drips from your chin, the shirt on your back clinging to your body

.... or a dry mouth .... ummmm

I hope the probanthine continues to work, but who knows !!!

Romax

Thanks guys. Bill your description of this condition is accurate. I was watching a tape of myself on stage and I hated how the sweat glistened off my neck from the lights!

Chris