Problem in gym

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Trust me. No one thinks bad of you at the gym as long as you're working out and you don't give up.

Well said.

I know some things about gyms and the people in them.
I spent 8 years straight running a health club, and was involved in natural body building for those eight years.

I lived and breathed health and fitness, nutrition, helped a lot of people lose a lot of weight, helped a lot of people rehabilitate from injuries.

The biggest thing I can say to you is, if you go to a gym you're always going to get a few ****s. But for the most part if you are overweight and people notice you working out hard and smart to reach your goals, you will actually gain RESPECT from a lot of gym go'ers.

Remember, you are going there to lose weight. Not to be everyone's friend.
If you show BY YOUR ACTIONS you are making a serious effort, and are friendly and polite, you may even manage to strike up a casual friendship.
You never know...
A good thing to do is to exercise near someone else who is also overweight.

I've seen all types of people in gyms. Most are actually reasonable people.
And... most of those people are also insecure about being there to some degree too ;)

luiface

Also I'd like to add that you can meet some really cool people in the gym, it's a daily routine for me now and even though sometimes I don't feel like going, I can't imagine stopping altogether

Richey

But why should you have to worry about going to the gym and gaining respect, I'm the one paying the money to go...

This thread reinforces my not being a fan of gyms.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
But why should you have to worry about going to the gym and gaining respect, I'm the one paying the money to go...

No one said anyone has to worry about going to gyms and gaining respect.
The OP was asking for other peoples thoughts on his anxiety whilst going to the gym.

Not everyone likes gyms, personally I no longer go to them either. I keep fit these days by other methods.

Sacrament

Why do you keep posting in this thread just to reinforce your original point repeatedly? You feel intimidated at the gym because you allow yourself to feel intimidated (ie, you're focusing too much on what other people might think of you), whereas if you were to simply focus on your workout, you'd be fine and would care less and less about people around you.

AtTheGates

Banned
Hi guys,

I have social anxiety. My symptoms are that I will start smiling awkwardly and have an awkward posture when people are around me.

I'm obese and I have been going to the gym to lose my weight so that I can feel more confident and better about myself.

The problem is there are many people there. And I tend to attract attention because of my awkwardness. (I have seen people look at me in the gym and its very embarrassing.)

Sometimes, i feel like avoiding to go to the gym.

Should I just ignore them? Because at the most they would be thinking "look at this freak" and look down on me. But it won't hurt or kill me right?

you have to just not pay much attention to it...some people have absolutely no manners whatsoever...Thats THEIR problem, not yours....just focus on getting in shape while your at the gym.

dannyboy65

I just started going to the gym and I have to say it's great getting in shape. I am also afraid of what other people think because I don't lift a ton of weight and I don't know how to use some machines yet. But what helped me is putting in head phones and zoning out to my music and being there for only me, I'm not there to impress anyone except myself.