Procrastination Out Of Hand

coyote

in my experience...

most things will cease to require your attention altogether if you put them off long enough:

friends and family will stop calling

cars and furniture will be repossessed

utility companies will disconnect your service

landlords will evict you

creditors will eventually quit calling and sell off your debt to another creditor who will do the same...

if you can manage not to be fired from a job that will keep you fed, clothed, and a roof over your head, you'll be okay

but don't expect to anyone to stick by you

no one wants to live in that kind of chaos if they don't have to

Last edited:

gustavofring

I'm a terrible procrastinator as well.

Especially at home. There's a mental barrier there of sorts when at home. The internet especially is a terrible distractor. There's many things I could/should do, but I just slack it off/put it ahead. Thankfully I have a job for some income, but there's a lot I should do to get my creative freelance career going because I don't want to be a night receptionist for my whole life.

There have been times I got stuff done though. Sometimes it can just be as simple as writing a major goal down and breaking it up into steps, and planning time for it in your agenda. Once you achieve some steps, you create some momentum to get the mental ball rolling. Maybe find someone who you have to report your progress to, like a teacher/mentor/friend/parent. You'll also gain more discipline this way hopefully.

I guess procrastination also has some deeper causes, it could come out of some kind of inner resistance like not wanting to face reality/fear/etc. Avoidant personality disorder. Maybe try and think about why you don't do those things you need to do and work on that.

vanillabear

Try doing like 5 minutes of what you need to do and say to yourself that you'll get a 10/15 minute break after that.. I find it helps because starting is usually the hardest part and after that you gain momentum and the task isn't as tough or intimidating as you initially thought (you probably won't even want to take the break after the 5 minutes).. which makes you feel like you want to keep going.. maybe that will help?

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Doing lists and taking actions right in the morning is the only way I found so far. STAY AWAY from the computer.

Tuukka40

Yeah, I would make a to-do list..Take 1 or 2 days off from it throughout the week. IMO, you'll feel better and your mind will be clearer if you are accomplishing things that need to be accomplished.

squidgee

Doing lists and taking actions right in the morning is the only way I found so far. STAY AWAY from the computer.

The stay away from the computer thing doesn't exactly work well when the work you have to do is on the computer. But if that's not the case that's some pretty good advice for procrastinators like me.