Project on AvPD...

Dingle

I'm new here, I don't have any social anxiety disorders but yeah... I'm doing a school project for my introduction to psychology class on AvPD as my ex-girlfriend (whom I was with for the better part of a year) had it. I still don't know how it lasted that long, heh.

Anyway, part of the assignment was to float around on the internet and find a forum for social anxiety disorders and ask what the best thing to do for people suffering from a disorder like AvPD would be. In doing research, I read that improvement is very slow-coming and the individual can bounce around from therapist to therapist in a psychotherapeutic circle for the rest of their life. I also read that sometimes anxiety meds are prescribed.

Any help on the matter would be absolutely fantastic.

bleach

Banned
Hard to say if there's really a "best thing", it probably depends more on the individual. Exposure therapy is the only definite requirement, i think. Cognitive therapy is also common.

I think of AvPD as an addiction. But instead of being addicted to a substance, you are addicted to certain thoughts and behavior patterns. Like any addiction, it is difficult to overcome. Progress is slow, relapses are common, and yes, it is often a life-long struggle.

Beyond that, i don't know, man. If I had real answers, I would be living them.

Dingle

bleach said:
Hard to say if there's really a "best thing", it probably depends more on the individual. Exposure therapy is the only definite requirement, i think. Cognitive therapy is also common.

I think of AvPD as an addiction. But instead of being addicted to a substance, you are addicted to certain thoughts and behavior patterns. Like any addiction, it is difficult to overcome. Progress is slow, relapses are common, and yes, it is often a life-long struggle.

Beyond that, i don't know, man. If I had real answers, I would be living them.

Sounds all to familiar... *sigh* like I said, I was with this girl for a while and I mean, it was never really brought into conversation. But I mean she'd not see me for upwards of a week at a time and such, but once she started coming over then she got more comfortable. Eventually it would actually relapse.

I read that this disorder can lead to substance abuse, would it make sense for someone with AvPD to smoke a lot of marijuana?

Anything else?

social_phobia2008

Yes, it can lead to drugs. But most commonly the addiction is alcohol.

By the way, tell us more about the project. When is the dead line, how many pages, etc etc. 8)

What country are you from ?