Public knowledge

Sophie67

In reading many posts, complaints, etc. It is obvious that along with this, we face the lack of public awareness.
It would help in many ways, as far as understanding, accecptance, and may lead to more studies to find real causes and cures.
Anyone up for contacting Dr. Phil?
I think that would help bring it out into the public, and maybe get the ball rolling for more research.

Anyone have the guts to write the show, or go on the show if asked?

Would public knowledge and acceptance at least make you feel a little less embarrassed about it?

Maybe we could all write to Dr. Phil, maybe he'd do a show about it, and bring on that team of Dr's that he does shows with on occassion.

Just a thought.....

What do you think?

aaaiiihhh

It would be great if there would be more research about it. But what I find is when people acknowledge that I am being quiet, it just makes me annoyed. When someone tells me, "Don't be shy..." or "Gosh, you're quiet" I just want to tell them to shut up. I'd rather it not be acknowledged.

As much as we don't want to admit it, the conflict is within us. It's not the public's fault that we have these self images of ourselves. When we feel anxious in front of others, it's not their fault. Most of the time, they're just going about their business.

I mean, there are certain people that do understand us and are okay with it, and will still get to know us. I've come across some very good understanding people. But there are other personality types out there that just never will understand it. I think it would be interesting if Doctor phil had a really extreme case, just to show the world it exists. But as far as public acceptance, that's not really something i'd strive for.

hyp-hi

There have been some news stories on it in the past, but you are right, most of the public doesn't know about the condition or how much it affects the lives of people who have it.

I agree if there was more public knowledge about it, there would be more people trying to find a cure for it.

Hehe I don't know about others, but I wouldn't feel comfortable going on a talk show to discuss it. I would love to watch it though.

Helyna

I wouldn't feel comfortable going on a talk show to discuss it. I would love to watch it though.

You know something funny? I'd be terrified of going on a show, but I'd feel uncomfortable watching one, too, because I would think about how I left it for someone else to do!
Anyway, you wouldn't want me because I'm not SP enough. I think the best person would be someone who is in the process of getting over it - still scared, but able to talk about medicines and therapies.

But as far as public acceptance, that's not really something i'd strive for.

Public acceptance isn't exactly what would excite me about this. It's not that normal people need to know. It's that we could spread the knowledge to other sufferers that they aren't alone, and we could hopefully help doctors and psychiatrists understand how to deal with socially phobic patients.