Questions about God?

Thelema

aah yea I can understand this. This definitely was not my intention. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was saying, "you're wrong and here's the proof! ah ha!" - then link to a one-sided Christian website! I meant it more like, "here's a problem neither of us know the answer to. Well this website offers some possible explanations, I'll send the link. Maybe it'll lead onto something more substantial, maybe not."...sorry for the confusion!

yea no problem! I've just been throwing some possible explanations at you. But the evidence is thin, yes I agree.

they were just the same links you posted to me. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/03/world/africa/03exodus.html - NOVA | The Bible's Buried Secrets | Moses and the Exodus | PBS

yep, I agree, again. The historical reliability of the Bible is just a trust builder for me. If time after time its stories are confirmed through archaeological digs then I can feel more assured that when it tells stories like Jesus being resurrected, etc that these stories are probably true as well. If the Bible was full of lies it'd make it harder to trust it. But the fact that truth seems to permeate this book helps me to feel more confident about it.

I don't think that's what the intelligent design debate is about. Here's my understanding of the issue; I totally agree with evolution, i.e. change over time through the processes of random mutation and natural selection, I just don't believe it was a unguided process, and here's why; There are several problems with Darwin's theory of evolution that have emerged in the light of new discoveries. Firstly, at the time when The Origin of Species was written, scientists believed that the single cell was the smallest, most simple building block of life and could've easily made the leap from non-life. But now we've discovered that a single cell is actually incredibly complex, containing large amounts of DNA code, so the leap from non-life to life has suddenly turned from a small step into a ginormous chasm. On top of this it's been discovered that the processes of random mutation and natural selection actually require DNA to function, which begs the question, how did DNA itself evolve? Secondly, Darwin's original theory proposed that all life forms would evolve by a very gradual change over time [Phyletic Gradualism] and he assumed that in the coming years scientists would unearth masses of these transitional forms proving his theory. But instead the fossil records seem to be showing periods of sudden rapid change and explosions of life, followed by very smooth progressions with little evolutionary change [Punctuated Equilibrium]. The Cambrian Explosion is a good example of this, where it seems that in a very short space of time most of the major species suddenly appeared in fairly advanced stages of evolution, and then gradually refined themselves, turning the tree of life on its head. And lastly there is the problem of irreducible complexity. If Darwin's theory is correct every single stage of evolution should be a very small step, with no overly large jumps, but there appear to be many organisms that are made up of several complex parts that only function when all the parts are there and working together. Take one part away and the organism would no longer function adequately [the Bacterial Flagellum for example]. So for these complex organisms to have evolved merely by random mutation would seem incredibly unlikely.

The reasons why I think these new findings may point to God is, firstly, because of the odds. There are too many giant leaps for it to be purely down to chance and random mutation. But secondly, it's the design element that interests me the most. The amount of design, information and complexity inside DNA is mind boggling. Bill Gates put it like this; "DNA is like a computer program but far far more advanced than any software we've ever created", and Physicist Paul Davies wrote "How did stupid atoms spontaneously write their own software? … Nobody knows …". It's the instructional element of DNA that I find hardest to align with a random mutation theory, and leads me to believe that some sort of higher intelligence would make a better explanation.

well, if you find an answer please let me know cause the Teleological and Cosmological arguments are two pretty strong pillars in my faith at the moment, so if you think you can refute them please tell me.

But don't you understand that pretty much ALL religions have historical truths in them? If we use archeological findings as proof, then the Odyssey is true, Buddhism is true, the Greek myths are largely true, even the Mayan religion is true. If you don't accept archeological findings that support certain Greek Myths, then that's special pleading.

It would be more surprising if the Bible wasn't historically accurate in many places. A book written 2000 years ago is going to have certain truths in it about the world at that time the same way a Spiderman comic will have certain truths in it-the cities will exist, the geography will be accurate, the description of certain events will line up. There's nothing inherently special or divine going on with the Bible in terms of its historical accuracy-all religions andfolk tales, for that matter, can claim a certain bit of historical truth.

We can't use some archeological findings to prop up one belief while simultaneously discounting the archeological findings that reveal Greek myths describe real events and real places and, like the Bible does, the Greek Myth says something happened in X location and guess what? We dig and find a city there! Is that supernatural? Or is that just historical?

If the Bible says something, it's the divine word of God, but if a Greek myth says it, it's meaningless? What I'm getting at is that if you don't propose that archeology shows the Greek myths are real, you can't propose archeology points to a divine Jesus or Moses, or any other supernatural claim.

Yes, Darwin's theory has been tweaked and changed over the years and some of his ideas have been discarded. We have a vastly greater understanding than Darwin. You can't see evolution as somehow stopping at Darwin any more than you can see physics stopping at Newton.

You're basically placing your beliefs on lack of something-not positive evidence. "I don't know this, I can't understand that, I can't think of how this happened" isn't somehow evidence for something. You need to have a positive indicator of something-I think this happened and here's some evidence. Not understanding is not the same.

Have you done any googling? I guarantee you that 10 minutes of searching will change lots of "I don't knows" into "I have some understanding now."

Do you know that we have discovered how life could have formed in early Earth? We have replicated the early earth and life shows up from a natural process in the lab. Did you know scientists have actually created life from non life in the lab? We have also discovered a process by which DNA can evolve from simpler processes. These are all very groundbreaking discoveries and show nowhere where God needs to step in.

Does God need to get the ball rolling? No. Does God need to supply the complex DNA? No. Does God need to rush along the process? No.

Even if God exists, he didn't need to step in at any point-life has a natural process to come from non life and evolution carries it onward to more complex forms.

Life’s First Spark Re-Created in the Laboratory | Wired Science | Wired.com

Molecule of life emerges from laboratory slime - life - 13 May 2009 - New Scientist

Found: the origin of life - Science, News - The Independent

We have gaps in our understanding and that may make it seem like a leap happened, but new discoveries show that it wasn't such a chasm that was reached over. And evolution can happen relatively fast in some cases. The domesticated dog, for instance, evolved in the blink of an evolutionary eye-practically overnight. Even if some sort of explosion does happen, we see that at no point does God need to step in anywhere else, so why would we think at this point God would?

I could swear I did watch a Discovery Channel episode about the Cambrian Explosion. Such a huge leap that God needed to be there?

Single-Celled Giant Upends Early Evolution: Discovery News

Evolution: Library: The Cambrian Explosion

Irreducible complexity? I want you to watch a nice NOVA documentary on Kitzmiller v. Dover that will explain exactly how irreducible complexity and ID stacks up to scientifically. I don't think you'll see the issue the same.

YouTube - Judgment Day - Intelligent Design on Trial (1/12)

I'll address your arguments tomorrow

Last edited:

worrywort

Thelema said:
Irreducible complexity? I want you to watch a nice NOVA documentary on Kitzmiller v. Dover that will explain exactly how irreducible complexity and ID stacks up to scientifically. I don't think you'll see the issue the same.
lol! yea I've seen it before! It's pretty excruciating to watch I must admit! But this trial was over the question, "is ID science?" and "should it be taught in schools?" not "is ID true?". The judge accepted the ACLU's definition of science that you may not consider a supernatural cause for any phenomenon, and if you accept that definition then ID is not science. The whole trial was loaded in politics and personally I don't think this is a good way to arrive at truth. The kinds of questions that were being asked were, "Is ID creationism in disguise?" and "should ID be taught in the science class or the theology class?" etc, and personally I don't really care about these questions. All I care about is the question, "Does God exists?" and if so, "on what evidence?".
But don't you understand that pretty much ALL religions have historical truths in them? If we use archeological findings as proof, then the Odyssey is true, Buddhism is true, the Greek myths are largely true, even the Mayan religion is true. If you don't accept archeological findings that support certain Greek Myths, then that's special pleading.

What I'm getting at is that if you don't propose that archeology shows the Greek myths are real, you can't propose archeology points to a divine Jesus or Moses, or any other supernatural claim.
yea, like I said before, I agree with most of what you're saying about the archaeological evidence. Btw, I wasn't the one who bought up the topic, you asked me about Moses and the Exodus so I answered. I never proposed that it was proof of the supernatural. But while we're on the topic, here's what I think about archaeology and the Bible. Firstly it's a confidence builder. If the Bible was full of myths, legends and lies I'd find it harder to trust the writers. But the consensus that no archaeological dig has ever contradicted the Biblical account I find very reassuring. Secondly my understanding is that most other religions are not rooted in history anywhere near to the extent that the Bible is [NOTE: I'm no expert in world religions so you might wanna double check this]. The Buddhist texts mainly consist of teachings and concepts. The Hindu Veda's consist of hymns, incantations and fictional stories. Judaism and Islam are both born out of the Old Testament, while the Qur'an does have a few historical stories but most have been either falsified or remain unverified. The book of Mormon as well has historical events and places in it but they totally contradict currently accepted archaeological findings. The Adi Granth, Zend Avesta and the Tao Te Ching all consist of hymns, prayers and teachings. The Bible, on the other hand, reads like a history book. The whole book is practically one giant story. It's heaving with real life events, names and places, many of which go into great detail, and the vast majority of these have all been confirmed through archaeology. So it's helpful to know that when I read the stories in the Bible they're most likely real-life stories, and if I'm ever unsure I can check the archaeological records and verify the accounts. The Bible is testable and falsifiable.

The only times archaeology may suggest the supernatural are 1] through verification of the prophecies [which, actually, if the datings are confirmed, this can be a very powerful evidence of the supernatural] and 2] through verification of supernatural stories in the Bible. For instance, the resurrection of Jesus. If the historical evidence aligns with the account then, while it may not prove the story, it definitely lends support to it.
You're basically placing your beliefs on lack of something-not positive evidence."I don't know this, I can't understand that, I can't think of how this happened" isn't somehow evidence for something. You need to have a positive indicator of something-I think this happened and here's some evidence. Not understanding is not the same.
I disagree. Placing my beliefs on lack of something would be like saying, John McCain has all these problems and flaws, therefore Barrack Obama should be president, without giving any positive reasons for voting for Obama...and while I believe that Darwin's theory does have a lot of problems and flaws, I'm also proposing positive evidence that leans in favour of God. The positive evidence is the discovery of DNA and the fine-tuning of the universe.

The powerful thing about the theory of evolution was that it took God out of the picture. Before Darwin the best explanation for the complex design of the universe was a designer. This is the common sense conclusion. Well, now we have a bunch of new things that can not be explained by random mutation and natural selection, i.e. DNA, irreducible complexity, punctuated equilibrium and the fine-tuning of the universe, therefore the common sense conclusion becomes the best explanation again, until a better explanation arises.
Have you done any googling? I guarantee you that 10 minutes of searching will change lots of "I don't knows" into "I have some understanding now."

Do you know that we have discovered how life could have formed in early Earth? We have replicated the early earth and life shows up from a natural process in the lab. Did you know scientists have actually created life from non life in the lab? We have also discovered a process by which DNA can evolve from simpler processes. These are all very groundbreaking discoveries and show nowhere where God needs to step in.

Does God need to get the ball rolling? No. Does God need to supply the complex DNA? No. Does God need to rush along the process? No.

Even if God exists, he didn't need to step in at any point-life has a natural process to come from non life and evolution carries it onward to more complex forms.
Life’s First Spark Re-Created in the Laboratory | Wired Science | Wired.com
Molecule of life emerges from laboratory slime - life - 13 May 2009 - New Scientist
Found: the origin of life - Science, News - The Independent
We have gaps in our understanding and that may make it seem like a leap happened, but new discoveries show that it wasn't such a chasm that was reached over. And evolution can happen relatively fast in some cases. The domesticated dog, for instance, evolved in the blink of an evolutionary eye-practically overnight. Even if some sort of explosion does happen, we see that at no point does God need to step in anywhere else, so why would we think at this point God would?
Here's the problem, DNA is an incredibly complex code, more advanced than any computer software we've ever created. So the question is, where did it come from? Was it by chance, design or was there some other process driving it, such as natural selection?

Let's think about SETI [search for extra-terrestrial intelligence] for a moment. When searching the cosmos there are 3 types of signals we can look for. The first is purely random. Just static noise, no pattern or order to it. The second is some kind of repeating pattern, like the pulse of a distant star maybe. The third is information, like a sequence of prime numbers for example. If you were searching the skies and you were to receive an incoming signal that, after being decoded, detailed the exact blueprint of how to evolve an alien species, what would you conclude? Obviously the common sense conclusion is that some kind of intelligence has transmitted this signal. Well, we've found a code just like this in DNA and human beings did not create it. So who did? Right now chance is not a satisfactory explanation. Until a superior theory is found, a higher intelligence remains the common sense explanation.

Here's the thing, I believe that evolution is very likely to be true, but I just think it was God's way of doing things. So I expect that every stage of evolution from the big bang to today will one day be explained scientifically and we'll be able to figure a lot of it out. I believe this because I doubt that God would just "pop" things into existence. I think God would work within natural laws to shape things. That seems to me more likely to be the way God would work. So the place where we'll find God then, I believe, will be in the odds. This will be how we'll tell if evolution was purely natural or if it was guided. I know that life evolving from non-life is possible because it's happened at least once before. What I'd like to know is if it's probable.

But one point I want to make is that this is not a God of the Gaps argument. If you believe it is, could it be because your definition of a "gap" is "any hole in our understanding that still requires an explanation other than God". i.e. so if positive evidence ever points toward God you would simply assume it's another gap in our understanding. Or put another way; If SETI received an intelligent message from outer space you wouldn't conclude that it's just a mystery, a freak of nature, a gap in our understanding, that we'll one day figure out, unless you held some kind of bias and presupposed that aliens could not possibly exist. No, the best explanation would be that the signal came from an intelligence of some kind. The signal would be positive evidence of this, just as DNA is positive evidence of a higher intelligence.
I could swear I did watch a Discovery Channel episode about the Cambrian Explosion. Such a huge leap that God needed to be there?
Single-Celled Giant Upends Early Evolution: Discovery News
Evolution: Library: The Cambrian Explosion
yea these links confirm what I was saying. I believe the Cambrian Explosion poses a problem for Darwin's theory. To keep God out of the picture Darwin's theory requires very gradual change of "numerous, successive, slight modifications" [Origin of Species - Ch 6]. This is because if any of the jumps get too big the probabilities are gonna start to skyrocket and random mutation will cease to be an adequate explanation. Remember the whole theory of evolution is built on blind chance. Natural selection may help it along, but ultimately the universe is meaningless, impersonal and random, so for a planet as infinitely complex as ours to have arisen from a fundamentally chaotic and random universe is going to require a colossal explanation. Is evolution big enough to explain it all? I don't think so.

Thelema

1. The cosmological argument, which states that
a] within our natural psychical laws it is impossible for something to come out of nothing,
b] at the big bang something DID come out of nothing
therefore
c] something SUPERnatural must have caused the big bang

The laws before the Big Bang are unknowable, it is absurd to assume the present laws always existed. Any trying to extend the laws before the big Bang is a no-no. It is also not known to always be true within the present Universe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_decay

At the Big Bang, there was an explosion of something. That says nothing about where that something came from. the Big Bang theory doesn't say it came out of nothing. Nobody can know what was before the Big Bang. You can't say anything about before the Big Bang, there may be no before. There was no one time there was nothing and then there was something, that implies a time line.

The 5th dimension didn't exist before the Big Bang, not the eleventh, or any other dimension you see fit to put a Jewish Deity in primed to do something. A 5th dimensional being isn't supernatural. We have no idea if there is such a thing as being in the fifth dimension. If such a dimension did exist, or the multiverse idea is correct, it is infininetly more plausible that matter came to be through some natural event-Occam's razor and all that.

Let's say that we live in an alternate Universe where such arguments actually pan out. I propose Carl Sagan was the unmoved mover. I can even show he is more plausible. How? We know he existed and he had a lot better knowledge about the Universe than the God of the Bible. He was also a much nicer guy.

"The Universe was designed for us because we exist"-My answer, to borrow poorly what I heard somewhere-"The water, upon realizing how well it fitted in the hole, conclude the hole was designed for it." If M theory is correct, there is an infinite amount of Universes, an infinite amount where we don't exist.

"The laws needed to be just this way or the Universe wouldn't exist in this way"- The Universe may have started and failed a quadrillion times until the random events spat us out. M theory means that there is a Universe filled with pudding, the pudding must proclaim that there is a pudding deity looking out for them for making such an obviously designed Universe. A quadrillion Universes down, here we are proclaiming we're special. The universe might also have banged, and existed for a 100 trillion years without us and crunched a 100 trillion times before we got here. All of these scenarios are far more plausible than a burning bush

Last edited:

Thelema

lol! yea I've seen it before! It's pretty excruciating to watch I must admit! But this trial was over the question, "is ID science?" and "should it be taught in schools?" not "is ID true?". The judge accepted the ACLU's definition of science that you may not consider a supernatural cause for any phenomenon, and if you accept that definition then ID is not science. The whole trial was loaded in politics and personally I don't think this is a good way to arrive at truth. The kinds of questions that were being asked were, "Is ID creationism in disguise?" and "should ID be taught in the science class or the theology class?" etc, and personally I don't really care about these questions. All I care about is the question, "Does God exists?" and if so, "on what evidence?".

yea, like I said before, I agree with most of what you're saying about the archaeological evidence. Btw, I wasn't the one who bought up the topic, you asked me about Moses and the Exodus so I answered. I never proposed that it was proof of the supernatural. But while we're on the topic, here's what I think about archaeology and the Bible. Firstly it's a confidence builder. If the Bible was full of myths, legends and lies I'd find it harder to trust the writers. But the consensus that no archaeological dig has ever contradicted the Biblical account I find very reassuring. Secondly my understanding is that most other religions are not rooted in history anywhere near to the extent that the Bible is [NOTE: I'm no expert in world religions so you might wanna double check this]. The Buddhist texts mainly consist of teachings and concepts. The Hindu Veda's consist of hymns, incantations and fictional stories. Judaism and Islam are both born out of the Old Testament, while the Qur'an does have a few historical stories but most have been either falsified or remain unverified. The book of Mormon as well has historical events and places in it but they totally contradict currently accepted archaeological findings. The Adi Granth, Zend Avesta and the Tao Te Ching all consist of hymns, prayers and teachings. The Bible, on the other hand, reads like a history book. The whole book is practically one giant story. It's heaving with real life events, names and places, many of which go into great detail, and the vast majority of these have all been confirmed through archaeology. So it's helpful to know that when I read the stories in the Bible they're most likely real-life stories, and if I'm ever unsure I can check the archaeological records and verify the accounts. The Bible is testable and falsifiable.

The only times archaeology may suggest the supernatural are 1] through verification of the prophecies [which, actually, if the datings are confirmed, this can be a very powerful evidence of the supernatural] and 2] through verification of supernatural stories in the Bible. For instance, the resurrection of Jesus. If the historical evidence aligns with the account then, while it may not prove the story, it definitely lends support to it.

I disagree. Placing my beliefs on lack of something would be like saying, John McCain has all these problems and flaws, therefore Barrack Obama should be president, without giving any positive reasons for voting for Obama...and while I believe that Darwin's theory does have a lot of problems and flaws, I'm also proposing positive evidence that leans in favour of God. The positive evidence is the discovery of DNA and the fine-tuning of the universe.

The powerful thing about the theory of evolution was that it took God out of the picture. Before Darwin the best explanation for the complex design of the universe was a designer. This is the common sense conclusion. Well, now we have a bunch of new things that can not be explained by random mutation and natural selection, i.e. DNA, irreducible complexity, punctuated equilibrium and the fine-tuning of the universe, therefore the common sense conclusion becomes the best explanation again, until a better explanation arises.

Here's the problem, DNA is an incredibly complex code, more advanced than any computer software we've ever created. So the question is, where did it come from? Was it by chance, design or was there some other process driving it, such as natural selection?

Let's think about SETI [search for extra-terrestrial intelligence] for a moment. When searching the cosmos there are 3 types of signals we can look for. The first is purely random. Just static noise, no pattern or order to it. The second is some kind of repeating pattern, like the pulse of a distant star maybe. The third is information, like a sequence of prime numbers for example. If you were searching the skies and you were to receive an incoming signal that, after being decoded, detailed the exact blueprint of how to evolve an alien species, what would you conclude? Obviously the common sense conclusion is that some kind of intelligence has transmitted this signal. Well, we've found a code just like this in DNA and human beings did not create it. So who did? Right now chance is not a satisfactory explanation. Until a superior theory is found, a higher intelligence remains the common sense explanation.

Here's the thing, I believe that evolution is very likely to be true, but I just think it was God's way of doing things. So I expect that every stage of evolution from the big bang to today will one day be explained scientifically and we'll be able to figure a lot of it out. I believe this because I doubt that God would just "pop" things into existence. I think God would work within natural laws to shape things. That seems to me more likely to be the way God would work. So the place where we'll find God then, I believe, will be in the odds. This will be how we'll tell if evolution was purely natural or if it was guided. I know that life evolving from non-life is possible because it's happened at least once before. What I'd like to know is if it's probable.

But one point I want to make is that this is not a God of the Gaps argument. If you believe it is, could it be because your definition of a "gap" is "any hole in our understanding that still requires an explanation other than God". i.e. so if positive evidence ever points toward God you would simply assume it's another gap in our understanding. Or put another way; If SETI received an intelligent message from outer space you wouldn't conclude that it's just a mystery, a freak of nature, a gap in our understanding, that we'll one day figure out, unless you held some kind of bias and presupposed that aliens could not possibly exist. No, the best explanation would be that the signal came from an intelligence of some kind. The signal would be positive evidence of this, just as DNA is positive evidence of a higher intelligence.

yea these links confirm what I was saying. I believe the Cambrian Explosion poses a problem for Darwin's theory. To keep God out of the picture Darwin's theory requires very gradual change of "numerous, successive, slight modifications" [Origin of Species - Ch 6]. This is because if any of the jumps get too big the probabilities are gonna start to skyrocket and random mutation will cease to be an adequate explanation. Remember the whole theory of evolution is built on blind chance. Natural selection may help it along, but ultimately the universe is meaningless, impersonal and random, so for a planet as infinitely complex as ours to have arisen from a fundamentally chaotic and random universe is going to require a colossal explanation. Is evolution big enough to explain it all? I don't think so.

It does matter. ID is not science, it is pseudo science. Your arguments were brought up in court, fleshed out by ID's and given equal opportunity with REAL scientists. The court case has nothing to do with the individual arguments, except for the fact that they have been dissproven in court and that's why I linked the video. If irreducible complexity was valid, the court case would have ended differently. It was dissproven, among other things, and that's very important.

I don't understand how, after seeing the flagellum being too complex trodded out in court and handily disproved, would bring it up to me as if it was something new.

The Judge, a christian appointed by Bush was presented with the evidence from both sides and ruled that creationism isn't a scientific theory. Case closed.

We don't need to go into arguments of irreducible complexity and creationism as science. Irreducible complexity isn't science, it has been disproved in court. I'm as interested in debating ID scientifically as I am debating with someone scientifically that the Earth is flat.

No, you do propose it proves something supernatural, or you wouldn't believe the Bible. The Bible, by definition, is hearsay. Without evidence supporting it, it's just a book of tall tales.

Yes, archeology does contradict the Bible. The lack of findings of the Exodus make it an impossibility. There is no way to miss a million people leaving a land, Egypt can't somehow cover it up. There is just no way. We can find small villages of a few hundred people thousands of years later and go "here was the tent, the fire, and here was where they pooped."

You are placing your beliefs on negatives, not positives.

Let's say there is 10 points of evidence for one thing and 0 points for another. Let's say you want to prove your theory. You think the best way is to disprove the other theory, so you go out and discredit the evidence, find the holes, look for anything to help you tear it down. After years and years, you believe there are only 6 points of evidence left. You feel a great sense of accomplishment after years of work. That other theory is getting some discredit in the minds of people and people are looking at your theory.

What's wrong with that picture? You actually need positive evidence for your theory. You need to add points of evidence for your ideas until they outweigh the points for the other theory. You can't support your theory on negatives-tearing apart other theories. It doesn't work that way and it isn't arbitrary.

Saying "I can'timagine how this theory accounts for this" isn't positive evidence.

Yes, people, being ignorant and bronze aged, concluded that invisible God's created us. Their ignorance isn't a good thing.

DNA evolved. Case closed. There is adequite scientific evidence that it evolved from a simpler RNA and that RNA evolved from a further simplified form. I'm not going to argue about what is already explained by natural means. the flagellum evolved, butts evolved, wings evolved, it all evolved.

No, life has been created in a lab when non-life was subjected to conditions that were likely to be present on early Earth. Case closed.

Evolution is God's way of doing things? Okay, Thor uses the electrostatic charge in clouds to manifest lightning, that's his way of doing things. +1 for Thorism?

I'm all for God. Give me evidence and I'll believe in God, no problem. I'll believe in anything that is support by evidence.

Gap is a lack of understanding-I don't have enough information to come to a rational conclusion. I say "I don't know" and you say "I know, God!". There is no evidence for God, the best you can come up with in most of your arguments is you not understanding how God isn't involved. That is not evidence. I have given you many instances where I would accept something as evidence for God. There are many differing religions that believe in God, so your argument fails that it's so obvious-if it was, there would be a unified understanding, or at least a good idea, of what God is by believers.

Natural selection isn't random. You have a poor understanding of evolution if you see it as random. Even I don't have a very good knowledge of evolution and I can tell you that the eye evolving, for instance, isn't random. Creatures with eyes have an advantage over creatures who don't have eyes(although what has ended up as the eye began as simply cells sensitive to light) and so they survive better and multiply. That is not random.

There are a few different scientific theories of the cambrian explosion. No God required. They'll let us know if God left a fingerprint.

It doesn't matter if you think gravity can't exist because you can't understand why an apple falls and the moon doesn't. That's a sign of your ignorance, not of admirable brilliancy for a non-gravitational theory. If anything, all these "I don't knows" you have should spark some curiousness about these important issues.

Sit down, go on the google, and spend an hour looking at the science from reliable objective sources. do that and come back and talk from a perspective of knowledge. Arguing about all the "I don't knows" you have isn't going to get us anywhere. Don't tell me you can't see how DNA can evolve, google "how did DNA evolve"

Last edited:

FOR REAL

Banned
if there is a "god" is it not about time he got up from his "god chair" and done something usefull! like helping starving people all around the world! instead of having arguements with the fkn devil!
god doesnt have to worry about money, or jobs! cause he lives in the fkn sky!! in the fkn clouds!! and who says its a "he" it could be a "she"!
the loch ness monster exists more than that god "fellow"
4000 sightings of "the beastie"
so when is the last time you sighted "god"
i rest my case(period, or full stop)

Thelema

the loch ness monster exists more than that god "fellow"

We can scan a lake, study the possible food sources, and the logistics of a dinosaur surviving the ice age in a lake that didn't exist yet (he must have been frozen in ice for 65 million years and thawed inside the valley which was to become a lake) and people still believe. Imagine a being that is proposed to warp time and space at will, might exist anywhere and will get you when your dead if you make him mad. Try convincing people that doesn't exist:confused:

worrywort

Hey Thelema, I hope you don't think this is too rude but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to keep up with our discussion quite so often. I mean, I LOVE talking to you about this stuff, you're a really great person to debate with cause you have a very sharp mind and raise really challenging objections, so you're definitely helping me to refine my beliefs! But the thing is I've got tons of these other projects I'm supposed to be working on and they're all kinda going neglected cause I keep getting distracted by all this stuff! lol! But anyway, I'd still love to carry on if you're up for it, but I may only be able to reply once a week......if that! I'll try to reply to your last posts either later today or tomorrow, but after that I'm not sure I'll be able to reply so frequently. Sorry. Hope that's ok.

worrywort

Thelema said:
1. The cosmological argument, which states that
a] within our natural psychical laws it is impossible for something to come out of nothing,
b] at the big bang something DID come out of nothing
therefore
c] something SUPERnatural must have caused the big bang

The laws before the Big Bang are unknowable, it is absurd to assume the present laws always existed. Any trying to extend the laws before the big Bang is a no-no. It is also not known to always be true within the present Universe Radioactive decay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At the Big Bang, there was an explosion of something. That says nothing about where that something came from. the Big Bang theory doesn't say it came out of nothing. Nobody can know what was before the Big Bang. You can't say anything about before the Big Bang, there may be no before. There was no one time there was nothing and then there was something, that implies a time line.
from nothing, nothing comes. Do you agree with this statement?

Nature [all space-time, matter and energy] had a beginning. Do you agree with this statement? Remember it is impossible to bridge an infinite string of causes and similarly it is impossible to traverse an infinite period of time, and with Einsteins theory of relativity linking all space-time matter as inseparable, that means if time had a beginning, all space and matter had a beginning too.

But from nothing, nothing comes, so nature can't have started from nothing. There must have been something. But there can't have been something because nature itself had a beginning. But from nothing, nothing comes, so nature can't have started from nothing. There must have been something. But there can't have been something because nature itself had a beginning. But from nothing, nothing comes....and on and on. How do you get out of this dilemma? There's only two options, either Einstein is wrong, or there must have been something outside of nature that nature started from.
"The Universe was designed for us because we exist"-My answer, to borrow poorly what I heard somewhere-"The water, upon realizing how well it fitted in the hole, conclude the hole was designed for it." If M theory is correct, there is an infinite amount of Universes, an infinite amount where we don't exist.
that's an argument from necessity. The water fits in the hole by necessity. The water doesn't have any choice in the matter. There are no alternate possibilities. A life permitting universe is not a necessity. There are 10^(10^123) alternate possibilities that would've prevented a life permitting universe. So when we find ourselves in this seemingly designed universe, we may think we fit very nicely, as the water does in its hole, but we've also learnt that there were 10^(10^123) different possibilities that could've prevented this from happening, whereas the water would've learnt that it fits by necessity. There are no other possibilities.

You may also be thinking that because the universe happened to have evolved in such a way as to permit life, humans wouldn't be around to notice it all otherwise, so we shouldn't really be surprised, but this logic is incorrect and can be exposed with a simple illustration. Imagine standing infront of a wall awaiting death from a firing squad of a thousand armed guards. The call goes up to "FIRE", and the soldiers proceed to shoot multiple rounds in your direction. A few seconds later the firing stops. You check yourself and discover that you're still alive. You look at the wall behind you to see that every single bullet somehow managed to miss you. Then you conclude, "Well....I shouldn't really be surprised that I'm alive, because, after all, if they had killed me I wouldn't be around to notice this incredible coincidence. Seeing as I'm alive I should really have expected them to have all missed".
It does matter. ID is not science, it is pseudo science. Your arguments were brought up in court, fleshed out by ID's and given equal opportunity with REAL scientists. The court case has nothing to do with the individual arguments, except for the fact that they have been dissproven in court and that's why I linked the video. If irreducible complexity was valid, the court case would have ended differently. It was dissproven, among other things, and that's very important.

I don't understand how, after seeing the flagellum being too complex trodded out in court and handily disproved, would bring it up to me as if it was something new.

The Judge, a christian appointed by Bush was presented with the evidence from both sides and ruled that creationism isn't a scientific theory. Case closed.
So if something is decided in court, that makes it true? If so, then how come creationism won out over evolution in the Scopes trial of 1925? Do you also believe that OJ Simpson was innocent? What about the Guildford Four or the Maguire Seven? Do you always believe everything the courts tell you? Like I said before, I don't think this is a good way to arrive at truth. I prefer to look at the evidence for myself and come to my own conclusions, instead of believing what someone else tells me to believe. Besides, since when do scientific problems get resolved in courts?

Here's what I think about irreducible complexity. I don't think the evidence for it is as strong as it is for the case of DNA yet, but I believe it's only a matter of time before we begin to find odds similar to that of the fine-tuning of the universe. For example, take protein sequences. Proteins are made from a specific combination of 20 different amino acids. The sequential order of these amino acids is crucial because if they're incorrectly ordered you won't get a protein that only works half as well, you'll get no protein at all. A molecular biologist named, Doug Axe, conducted a study to work out the probability of producing just one functioning protein by mutation from all the possible combinations of amino acids, and the number came to 1 in 10^74. [link]. That means that even if we give the amino acids a billion attempts everyday for a trillion years you'd still only reduce the odds to 1 in 10^51 which is below what is mathematically regarded as zero probability. His work was published in The Journal of Molecular Biology, which is a peer-reviewed journal. This shows that ID is a scientifically testable theory. It has been peer-reviewed, and it provides positive evidence for a higher intelligence.
No, you do propose it proves something supernatural, or you wouldn't believe the Bible. The Bible, by definition, is hearsay. Without evidence supporting it, it's just a book of tall tales.
If prophecies are confirmed through archaeology, I would consider that evidence of the supernatural. If a supernatural story was confirmed through archaeology, depending on the strength of the findings, I may consider this evidence of the supernatural. If a non-supernatural story is confirmed through archaeology I would not consider this evidence of the supernatural. At no time would I consider archaeology as proof of the supernatural, only differing strengths of evidence that support the supernatural.
Yes, archeology does contradict the Bible. The lack of findings of the Exodus make it an impossibility. There is no way to miss a million people leaving a land, Egypt can't somehow cover it up. There is just no way. We can find small villages of a few hundred people thousands of years later and go "here was the tent, the fire, and here was where they pooped."
No I think you're being very unreasonable now. The lack of findings of the Exodus does not make it an impossibility. Remember the same was said of the Hittite empire. How could there be no trace of this great civilisation anywhere outside of the biblical texts? Until one day in 1906, 10,000 tablets turned up confirming their existence. The lack of evidence for the Exodus does not surprise me. We're talking about a search area of around 10,000 square miles, looking for traces of possibly no more than 20,000 people [link], who never stayed in one place for more than a few years, never built any cities, whose clothes never wore out. If it took all that time to eventually find evidence of the great Hittite empire, I expect it's going to take a lot longer to find traces of the Exodus.
You are placing your beliefs on negatives, not positives.

Let's say there is 10 points of evidence for one thing and 0 points for another. Let's say you want to prove your theory. You think the best way is to disprove the other theory, so you go out and discredit the evidence, find the holes, look for anything to help you tear it down. After years and years, you believe there are only 6 points of evidence left. You feel a great sense of accomplishment after years of work. That other theory is getting some discredit in the minds of people and people are looking at your theory.
say you set foot on another planet and you were walking along the surface of this planet. Then one day you come across a complex alien machine. Well your immediate conclusion would be that this alien machine must have been created by an alien mind. But let's say you stare at this machine long enough until eventually you figure out a way that this machine could have gotten here without the need for an alien mind. You call this theory evolution, and let's represent it by a net. After years of research you have crafted this net so that it fits perfectly over this machine. It is a near perfect fit. The net may have holes in it, but the basic shape of the net fits near perfectly over the machine. You have explained the machine.

Now imagine you continue your journey across this planet until a few miles down the road you come across another totally different machine called "DNA" and then another called "The fine tuning of the universe". You run back to get your net from the first machine to see if it'll fit over these new machines but they're way too big and the shape is totally different. You can not explain these new machines in the same way as the first, so you sit there and stare and try to figure out a way that these machines could have come about without the need for an alien mind. You may stitch together a few small nets that cover handles and prongs but basically these two new machines are totally unexplained. Well this is the picture we've got today. Looking at this picture what do you think the best explanation would be for the existence of these machines? It would seem far more obvious that an alien mind created these alien machines, and the scientist is just trying to cover the obvious with his nets.
Saying "I can'timagine how this theory accounts for this" isn't positive evidence.
not knowing how something could have occurred naturalistically and being able to discern the best explanation from it are two very different things. Think of an example of evidence that you would consider proof of God's existence. Imagine, maybe, that you pray in your mind for God to give you a very specific sign of a burning bush in your garden at exactly 11.53am. Now let's say, 11.53am comes around, you look out of your window and right on time, your bush spontaneously alights in giant flames. Would you know how that event could be explained naturalistically? No, probably not. But would the event be positive evidence of the supernatural? Yes of course. I don't know for sure how the universe could've defied odds of 10^(10^123) to produce a life-permitting planet such as ours, but I do know that the supernatural is by far the most obvious explanation.
All of these scenarios are far more plausible than a burning bush.

If such a dimension did exist, or the multiverse idea is correct, it is infininetly more plausible that matter came to be through some natural event-Occam's razor and all that.
Like I said before I really think this is the crux. I believe you have presupposed God doesn't exist, therefore any evidence for God must be false. If you presuppose that aliens could not possibly exist then even if SETI were to receive an intelligent message from outer space you would have to conclude that it can't possibly be aliens, cause they don't exist, so it must be something else. There must be some other explanation. ANY explanation would be more likely than aliens because aliens do not exist. But if you were asked, why do you presuppose that aliens could not possibly exist, you'll say because there is no evidence. It's a circular reasoning fallacy. It's like you're saying, this evidence for the existence of aliens can't possibly be true because there is no evidence for the existence of aliens.

cruisin

Science and religion are both big leaps in faith, relying on knowledge already gained and theories that aren't proven. For the record though I believe in God.

Thelema

Oooo good stuff in this thread. I hope everyone was having as much fun dishing it out as me.

hoddesdon

Well, this is a good one for you. I say that it is a fact, not an opinion, that God and the spiritual realm exist.

My question is: when things got underway I lost my faith; directly because of the contradiction between being on the side of God and developing social phobia, indirectly because the world seemed a darker place. Why did that happen?

This is the second time around. Nonetheless, I still do not have an answer (although that does not change anything this time).

Shant

Ahaha, when it comes to philosophy and/or theology it tends to drive me crazy and I go in circles with it...

I'd say I'm an unorthodox Christian. Besides some of my philosophical/theological wanderings at times ("What if all religions are really praying to the exact same God?", "If God's so powerful, he would be best off not having to deal with me", etc... tons of mind-messing stuff), I guess I might have one odd question, although it pertains more to the relationship between "God" and "Hell":

How does anyone believe a just God can send others to hell, and not be traumatized by the very thought of it? I say "unorthodox Christian", because I don't really end up believing in hell. Maybe I'm just too sensitive, too empathic, but I can't imagine or understand it; I can't emotionally or logically connect to the possibility of other people currently burning in hell, or something.