recurring dreams....

agoraphobickatie

i'm gonna go ahead and say sorry if this gets to be way too long of a post! haha.. apparently i have a hard time writing short and sweet threads :)

so i'm a big dreamer, i love sleep because i always have really vivid, interesting and rememberable dreams.. i guess i want to make this thread just because i'm interested in hearing if other people have vivid dreams or recurring dreams..

i have always remembered my dreams, i always have at least a few of them that i remember every night or every time i nap.. i can remember a dream i had when i was 6 or 7 like i had it last night, it's like a picture in my head.
anyway, i've always dreamed, but i can't ever remember having recurring dreams until my agoraphobia and stuff kicked in.. i just find that odd somehow?

i have these two recurring dreams, and i have them alllll the time, at least a few times a week, sometimes more than once in one night! it's not the exact same dream that happens over and over, but the same kind of thing happens in it... like one i have is i'll be at high school (not the high school i dropped out of, but the one i actually liked, lol) anyway, it'll be time to leave and i'll go out to the parking lot and completely forget where the hell i parked my car... like i'll walk out there and be like "damn, i don't even remember parking my car this morning! wtf?!" ..but eventually i find it, and it's always in this random ass place! but i get in and drive home, lol... they say the real interpretation of your dreams, comes from what YOU think of it. i like to think that that dream is kind of what i'm going through.. i have no idea how i'll solve my problems (find my car) and be okay and 'normal' again, but i have to have some kind of faith that i'll figure it out, because i always end up finding my car anyway... lol, i know.. that's weird, but it makes sense to me :) haha

and the second that i have a lot is also in high school.. except i'm at the high school i hated.. i'm always in a class or doing something and i'm like "man this sucks!" but in my dreams, i've already dropped out, got my GED and went to college (like i did), but i'm just going back to high school to finish and get my diploma anyway... so i'm always there and i just want to leave and skip school and i hate whatever class i'm in or the teacher, so i end up being like "screw this.. i've already got my GED and been to college.. i don't need to be here anyway!" haha and my classmates are like, dang! yeah, wtf are you doing?! lol ..i haven't taken the time to figure out what i think about that dream, but it's just funny to me, i have it a lot recently...

i have all different kinds of dreams, but my favorite are ones i call 'movie dreams'.. because they play out just like i'm watching a movie, with a plot and everything! sometimes i'm in the movie and sometimes i'm not.. but i love those! lol

so anyone else like having vivid dreams? do you have recurring dreams or remember specific ones really well?

Last edited:

Lorraine Manca

i dream about high school a lot too! which is really strange because i never think about it otherwise. a lot of times i dream that its a huge maze of hallways lined with lockers. it's like the building covers the whole earth and never ends. in most of the dreams i'm looking for something, like in yours, then i give up, and panic trying to find an exit. i can never find a way out of the building, not even a window. im pretty sure i know what it means, i think it means i feel trapped in a huge and unnatural man made world. yuck!
i think that's awesome you always find your car though!!! how great is that, to be subconsciously optimistic?

I have serious fears of being late for stuff. This fear manifests itself in my dreams all the time, except each time the circumstances are different - each becoming more bizarre and elaborate than the last. There just always seems to be something blocking me from getting to school, work, or whatever else and I start to panic because I need to be on time. I always wake up feeling extra relieved that it was only a dream.

Otherwise, my dreams are usually extremely ridiculous, nonsensical, and very vivid.

Devrium

omg yes... I know exactly what you are talking about. I can remember my dreams in complete detail.. like down to the last dust particle on the floor from like the time I was 3 or 4 years old..

I also have recurring dreams a lot. One in particular that started when I was about 12 is where I am in this city and it's raining and I am running down the street.. I am looking for a particular building but I am not sure what it looks like, why I am looking for it, or where it is.. as I run down the street I run into these people... some are strangers, some I know.. some are homeless, some are rich etc etc.. and I keep asking them, "Where is Exeter street? I must find Exeter street" But no one can tell me.. and for the record I have no idea why that's the name of the street.. I have never lived on or near or around any such street in my life... Anyway, Finally they are able to point me in the right direction... and dead ahead of me is the building I am looking for. As I get closer I can see it's a tall brick building with green writing on the top that says "Green bean pickling factory".. there is a parking lot in the back and some stairs leading inside the building... on the steps there is a group of high school kids (like skater kids or something) just sitting there talking and smoking. I walk up to them and ask if they have a pen.. because I need to write down the address of this building. (I never ever have pens in my dreams.. it drives me crazy).. they say no.. so I just push past them and go in the back door of the factory.. But when I get in.. everything inside is new.. it looks like a hospital almost... as I go deeper and deeper into the building I start to see all of these labs.. And I know I am there for a reason.. I go to the end of the hall and break the glass on one of the doors.. and inside I find all these cages full of animals. It's like a lab where they do horrible animal experimentation.. As I walk up to one of the cages where some rabbits are, I hear a noise behind me and I panic. I look desperatelly for a place to hide... behind me there is a cabinet that i fit just barely inside.. and right as they open the door to the lab, I shut the cabinet door holding my breath.. I never find out who it is or what happens next because just like that, the dream ends.. never any more, never any less.. it drives me crazy

lol *whew* for long story's! Sorry about that... but anyway yea dreams are totally awesome. I am lucky in that I dream all the time and they are always interesting and exciting (unless I have nightmares which happens somewhat often).. I actually categorize some of my dreams based on how they feel... like the energy they give off (and I know that probably makes me sound psycho) but that's a whole nother story xD

Devrium

I have serious fears of being late for stuff. This fear manifests itself in my dreams all the time, except each time the circumstances are different - each becoming more bizarre and elaborate than the last. There just always seems to be something blocking me from getting to school, work, or whatever else and I start to panic because I need to be on time. I always wake up feeling extra relieved that it was only a dream.

Otherwise, my dreams are usually extremely ridiculous, nonsensical, and very vivid.

lmao that sounds just like me. I am incessantly and annoyingly punctual. I drive everyone I know crazy.. as in I have to be like 2 hours early for movies and 1 hour early for school or work etc.. Otherwise I have a panic attack.. and if I am going to be late for anywhere.. I just don't go.. even if the consequences are bad. Part of that comes from I hate walking in to places late because everyone stares at me.. and I would much, much rather be invisible to the world..

lunarla

I'm sooo envious! I love sleep and dreams, they're both a big interest of mine, actually. But I can't say that my dreams are really phenomenal and I don't remember them that often which is very disappointing to me! When I do remember a dream it's only really a vague understanding of what the dream was about and a few images or scenes of it.

A recent dream of mine was that I was walking down the main stairs of my highschool and saw a couple of my friends sitting at a table, but the table was misplaced. I proceeding into the girls washroom where the floor was all cracking and my childhood friend, Gavin (who I haven't seen/spoken to in the longest time) was under one of the sinks. :) Remarkable, lol

I definitely do agree with you though, Katie! Only you can try and decipher what your dreams mean, anything else is a bunch of nonsense. You can't really ask someone what your dream might mean or any generalized symbolism because everyone has unique experiences and perceptions of those experiences that are embedded in our subconscious. So while an eagle may generally symbolize power, to someone individually it might be fear or cowardice because they were attacked by an eagle as a toddler?!? There really is so many different theories about what dreams mean and why we dream, etc. I personally think it's a matter of subjectivity, rather than objectivity.

agoraphobickatie

I definitely do agree with you though, Katie! Only you can try and decipher what your dreams mean, anything else is a bunch of nonsense. You can't really ask someone what your dream might mean or any generalized symbolism because everyone has unique experiences and perceptions of those experiences that are embedded in our subconscious. So while an eagle may generally symbolize power, to someone individually it might be fear or cowardice because they were attacked by an eagle as a toddler?!? There really is so many different theories about what dreams mean and why we dream, etc. I personally think it's a matter of subjectivity, rather than objectivity.

yes! very much agreed, lunarla! i love your wisdom :)

see i guess i'm just one of those people who really likes dreaming/hearing about dreaming.. i find all of your dream stories neat! :) a lot of my dreams just come from something that happened during the day or recently or something.. just a little snippit of my real life will make it into my dream, like it was shoved into the back of my head to be saved for sleep, lol.. i do have nightmares, but not too too often i don't think.. they're usually either about my parents, or someone breaking into my house, or me being pregnant or something (which is totally a nightmare!! haha) anyway, nightmares don't bother me too bad because i'm always super relieved to wake up and be like "whew!! just a dream!!" even if it does take me a few seconds/minutes to realize it was only a dream... also, i'll be in a dream and know that i'm dreaming. like something will be happening and i'll just be like "well this is a dream anyway soooo whatever" lol... and i have the token dreams where you're trying to scream and you can't speak, trying to run and your legs are like a million lbs! those are so crazy!! recently i have some where i'm totally beating the crap out of someone, but nothing is happening! like i don't punch them hard enough or something, haha.. i always get frustrated like wtf?! i'm totally beating you up!

Hellhound

Super Moderator
My dreams are mostly disturbing and sometimes weird. I've had recurrent ones, but I don't know if they mean anything, never bother to interpret those things, I only remember they scared the hell out of me and that's all. I've had a few nice dreams as well... but they were too random o_O;

danstelter

i have these two recurring dreams, and i have them alllll the time, at least a few times a week, sometimes more than once in one night! it's not the exact same dream that happens over and over, but the same kind of thing happens in it... like one i have is i'll be at high school (not the high school i dropped out of, but the one i actually liked, lol) anyway, it'll be time to leave and i'll go out to the parking lot and completely forget where the hell i parked my car... like i'll walk out there and be like "damn, i don't even remember parking my car this morning! wtf?!" ..but eventually i find it, and it's always in this random ass place! but i get in and drive home, lol... they say the real interpretation of your dreams, comes from what YOU think of it. i like to think that that dream is kind of what i'm going through.. i have no idea how i'll solve my problems (find my car) and be okay and 'normal' again, but i have to have some kind of faith that i'll figure it out, because i always end up finding my car anyway... lol, i know.. that's weird, but it makes sense to me :) haha

Your analysis of your dream seems astute and more or less correct! Dreams are symbols of what is going on in our lives; the symbols are confusing because their logic is different that our logic in our wakeful state.

I did have recurring dreams for many years, and now that my anxiety is better, I rarely have them; I cannot recall the last dream I had that was one that had happened before.

One dream I had all the time was being alone in the middle of the sea, with no land visible in any direction. I eventually learned that this one was a fear of being alone and not knowing where to go (which seems like "duh" now). I read about it in a book I read about dreams.

The other one that I had many times was one of falling and never hitting a bottom or stopping. I think this represented that lack of control that I felt that I had in that period of my life.

Now that I am past the worst of my anxiety, I don't have these dreams anymore. I think they are unconscious representations and attempts to work out things I cannot address in my waking state. Good post; I had forgotten about the importance of dreams.

agoraphobickatie

Now that I am past the worst of my anxiety, I don't have these dreams anymore. I think they are unconscious representations and attempts to work out things I cannot address in my waking state. Good post; I had forgotten about the importance of dreams.

i agree! i mean i do have silly random dreams that are just snippits of something that happened during the day.. but some of my dreams (like the recurring ones) really make me think "hm..." ya know? i just choose not to ignore it because i love dreaming so much, lol.. especially having recurring dreams, i feel like sometimes they are just trying to shout something out to you.. anyway, i'm just infatuated all together with dreams :)