Religion

whocares

Agreed. This discussion is childish and useless, since is not serving the original purpose of steel sparks. Sorry for the inconvenience. All the best.

Some_guy

Sometimes I'd like to believe that there is a God.

It could help and give me some kind of self-induced additional "strength" (that one would call given from above), which could help me face hard situations a tad easier.

That, plus the sense of purpose it can give.

Thelema

Some_guy said:

It could help and give me some kind of self-induced additional "strength" (that one would call given from above), which could help me face hard situations a tad easier.

But isn't it sorta strange just to try and believe something that we don't believe to be a little happier? People say that God makes them happy, but that doesn't mean a lot. I'm sure I could get strapped up to an IV drip of some cocktail of drugs and I'd be happy too, does that prove anything? My dogs are happy when I feed them, but does that mean they know any sort of divine secret to happiness? My dogs don't know about Jesus or God, but they're happy.

Believing something against all your better judgment just to feel a little better doesn't sound like the best thing to me

Thelema

Doomed2Die said:
To be honest if what the reilgion claims to be true, the world is not open for any other belief. There is no dabbling or multiple choices.

The choice of "What religion is best for me" is somewhat backwards logic in this respect. There is either genuine, or not.

Thats my feeling too. All religions are more or less the same and are either all right or all wrong. It's been proven to death by even each religion that the other is wrong so...throw'em all out.

They've been found to simply not be true in the least

Thelema

AngelsTears85 said:
Then the lord said to me, “Go to the cities of Judah and to the streets of Jerusalem. Proclaim my message there and tell the people to listen to the terms of the covenant and to obey them. When I brought their ancestors out of Egypt, I solemnly warned them to obey me, and I have kept on warning the people until this day. But they did not listen or obey. Instead, everyone continued to be as stubborn and evil as ever. I had commanded them to keep the covenant, but they refused. So I brought on them all the punishments described in it.” Jeremiah 11:6-8
That is in the Old Testament Jesus came to change all that, he is our salvation.
But anywho I think we are getting a little off topic…

God wanted a man to go screaming down the streets that God is mad at them and warn them of God's wraith? What if someone ran down your street and did that?

aboterika

i really believe that there is a god who created the earth and the world ..... i have no doubt in that

look at the sun and ask your self who keeps it in this wonderful path ... what if it was nearer by 1 meter ... could we live on the earth ???? so who kept it in its path

look at your birth who made a speaking ,laughing, walking guy from just a sperm !!! who can do this exept god ?!!!

look at the seeds put in the earth ..... who taught them to grow and give life to the earth

i really believe in god

i believe that he created us to be tested in the earth .

however i don't think that all religions are the same

ofcourse there is one religion accepted by god .... christianity differs from buddihism , islam and all other religions

Thelema

aboterika said:
i really believe that there is a god who created the earth and the world ..... i have no doubt in that

look at the sun and ask your self who keeps it in this wonderful path ... what if it was nearer by 1 meter ... could we live on the earth ???? so who kept it in its path

look at your birth who made a speaking ,laughing, walking guy from just a sperm !!! who can do this exept god ?!!!

look at the seeds put in the earth ..... who taught them to grow and give life to the earth

i really believe in god

ofcourse there is one religion accepted by god .... christianity differs from buddihism , islam and all other religions

Thats gravity and evolution for ya. We evolved with the sun where it is and thats why we like it. If we evolved on a world with two suns and the temperature was a couple thousand degrees then we'd like that too.

Again thats evolution. You don't really believe at one time that humans and dinosaurs were walking around together do you? We had to spend billions of years to get to this point of our evolution. We started from pond scum and through a incomprehensible amount of time became what we are. It wasn't magic

I thought Buddhism was pretty cool too because it didn't try and make you believe in weird stuff. Then you start reading of a Buddha that supposedly created itself and sustains itself somewhere in the universe. Buddhism created a god even tho Buddha himself said there weren't any gods

aboterika

scyth said:
aboterika said:

i really believe in god

You know god may have done all that but he's still a twat

what do you mean by a twat ???

aboterika

Thats gravity and evolution for ya. We evolved with the sun where it is and thats why we like it. If we evolved on a world with two suns and the temperature was a couple thousand degrees then we'd like that too.
that is very good but who created us from the start ?? and who created the sun as it is and evolved us with it ???

i know that the materials can't be found from nothing .... who created it ? and how ?

Again thats evolution. You don't really believe at one time that humans and dinosaurs were walking around together do you? We had to spend billions of years to get to this point of our evolution. We started from pond scum and through a incomprehensible amount of time became what we are. It wasn't magic

i do believe in this .... we and dinasours were walking around together but who created the dinasours ?? and how can a pond scum convert to a thinking, walking , talking human being ..... can this be by just evolution ???

who created this bond scum from the start ??

how can evolution convert a sperm to a human being ??

when my blood pressure decrease the cells rush its contenets of sodium out to raise the blood pressure ..... who taught them to do that ?? can this be done by just evolution ??? !!!!

the proportion of water on the earth is 71% ...... if it was less or more than this accurate proportion , a big equilibrium problem would occur .... who kept this strict proportion in place ?? !!! can this be by just gravity and evolution ??? !!!!

i can't really accept that

southpawgrammar

I used to belive, then one day i started thinking if thier is a god why does he curse me with this social anxiety.why does he let bad things happen to good people cancer,starving children.

Johno

Interesting topic.... Not sure about the absolute truth. However. As it stands now. I believe in a ultimate or supreme engineer. One with maximum superior intelligence to us all. The ultimate creator. Let's face it. We have no idea how an ant behaves. Let alone human beings. Could we create an ant?????? No. Life is no accident. IMO there is massive intelligence behind it. The supreme engineer. GOD

xSleepy

Well I wouldnt really consider myself religous. But right now im kinda getting into buddhism. The kind of buddhism im in isnt really like a religion. We "chant" to better ourselves. Its kinda like karma. If we do good things, good things will happen. If we do bad things then bad things will happen.
But its also if we think negativley. Like if we keep telling ourselves that we will nerver, or can never do this or that, or were not good enough. If we think like that then we will never be happy.

Sorry im really bad at explaining things. :lol:

lifes_to_long

scyth said:
aboterika said:
scyth said:
aboterika said:

i really believe in god

You know god may have done all that but he's still a twat

what do you mean by a twat ???

He's a fanny?

ha ha your fanny!

Thelema

aboterika said:
that is very good but who created us from the start ?? and who created the sun as it is and evolved us with it ???

i know that the materials can't be found from nothing .... who created it ? and how ?

i do believe in this .... we and dinasours were walking around together but who created the dinasours ?? and how can a pond scum convert to a thinking, walking , talking human being ..... can this be by just evolution ???

who created this bond scum from the start ??

how can evolution convert a sperm to a human being ??

when my blood pressure decrease the cells rush its contenets of sodium out to raise the blood pressure ..... who taught them to do that ?? can this be done by just evolution ??? !!!!

the proportion of water on the earth is 71% ...... if it was less or more than this accurate proportion , a big equilibrium problem would occur .... who kept this strict proportion in place ?? !!! can this be by just gravity and evolution ??? !!!!

i can't really accept that

You're looking at things from I think is the wrong perspective. We should assume things became the way they are by natural means and weren't created by a supernatural guiding hand. Until there is some good evidence of God we should conclude that God had nothing to do with it. Don't you agree?

If we give up our critical thinking then where would we be? We have scientific reasons that aren't refutable for the way the universe is. To deny what is scientifically proven is just crazy. If we heard of a religion that was teaching that the universe was created by a frog you would be asking where the evidence was. Wouldn't you? And when they can produce no evidence you would rationally conclude they are wrong and rightfully so.

If we lay religion out and look at it critically we see a system for giving humans comfort in a world we didn't understand. "Why does it rain, mom? Because the rain God makes it rain." That was the best answer we had for thousands of years! Now we understand exactly why it rains and so we don't need to worship a God for it. The biggest fear we have is of death and thats a lot of what religion tries to comfort us about. If we're good (we all believe we're good) then we go to a happy place. When people are bad (people we don't like and that bother us) you go to a bad place. Religion gives you comfort, but we must assume as we assume with every other thing, that God has nothing to do with it until there's good evidence otherwise. If a religion was saying that when you die a frog judges whether you go to hell or not you would ask for some evidence, right? And then when they come up with none you must conclude they are wrong until they prove themselves right. Thats the stance you have to take or you're going to believe in the craziest things.

If something is true, an objective observer should be able to verify it. A claim of something as earthshaking as a claim of a supreme God has to be scrutinized the same way as everything else. Why would God not want you to question? Would he rather us follow just because someone tells us to? I don't think so. Since there is no evidence of God we have to conclude, until some evidence shows up, that God is not real. Thats the only rational stance to take

Some_guy

Thelema said:
Some_guy said:

But isn't it sorta strange just to try and believe something that we don't believe to be a little happier? People say that God makes them happy, but that doesn't mean a lot. I'm sure I could get strapped up to an IV drip of some cocktail of drugs and I'd be happy too, does that prove anything? My dogs are happy when I feed them, but does that mean they know any sort of divine secret to happiness? My dogs don't know about Jesus or God, but they're happy.

Believing something against all your better judgment just to feel a little better doesn't sound like the best thing to me
I'm not trying to believe into it, I'm saying that it could be nice if I did.

I agree with you that you shouldn't believe something against your better judgment. But that's not what religious people do. They have a different perception of reality than you do, but they are as convinced as you are that they are the ones right.

Beliefs shape worlds. If you deeply believe there's a God, then your world will shape itself around that belief and you will see evidence of that belief everywhere. Same thing if you believe that there is none.

Debating over it is pretty dumb in my opinion, because anyway you won't be able to convince anyone this way.