Rock'n'Roll!!! CBT Therapy ruuuules!

okkamsrazor

Hiyo peeps :)
I aint been around for a while so i thought i stick my head around the corner and spread the word about CBT therapy :wink:
Now some of you know, i been though many types of therapy ranging from Crystal to Herbal from Acupuncture to Anxiety meds to Hypnotherapy, none of which worked for the long term untill early in Dec I contacted a therapy organsisation whos primary tool for dealing with SP is CBT.
Basically to cut a long story short ~ it works!
So for those of you who feel totally lost ~ seek out a CBT therapist (or psychologist) and comit yourself to the program (if youre in the uk search for organisations which operate in a outreach capacity - the therapy will be free and for as long as you need it)

All the best!

Okk

Allan

I'm told I may have to have CBT therapy soon. Could you explain what happens in it for me? :)

trapped

i did it and didnt do it properly unfortunatly. i have some of the paper work and remember most of the stuff that was taught to me but it's not as good as when ur actually doing the cbt and applying it in your life. to answer ur question cbt the shrink will talk to u acess you and see what ur problem is. they basically teach to think differently because anxiety is basiclly thoughts in ur heads right? it takes time and to make it simpe they teach you skill and give you the tools to overcome this. it can be though at times telling someone your most inner feelings especially for people with anxiety.trust me u have understand one thing. dont be embaressed by the shrink their there to help you. they'll give u the tools u still have to put in hard work, and it is hard but if u dont give up its worth it. im gonna start trying to overcome this by what i learned in therapy and actually give it a good shot and not half ass it.

rado31

If "mindset" is wrong , how can they explain 4 anxiety free days in a row that i had recently? (Nothing was special about those days, just ordiniary days)
If "mindset" is wrong - than it is wrong .

But , most likely - the whole theory is for to the category you mentioned-> Desperate people. When you are desperate you believe in anything. Cbt seems reasonable, because it is all that you already know, it is good to relieve you from unnesecary feeling of guilt .

Allan

trapped said:
to answer ur question cbt the shrink will talk to u acess you and see what ur problem is.

Yup, already been through that. My mum jacked about 15 minutes of the session blubbering about her past though, so it wasn't as effective as I would like. Perhaps they'll think I come from a disturbed family? XD

okkamsrazor

rado31 said:
Cbt seems reasonable, because it is all that you already know, it is good to relieve you from unnesecary feeling of guilt .

You're right Rado, it is good to relieve pent up guilt, infact I thought this was how my therapist was gona "break" me!! you know I actually had images of me lying on a couch, tears in my eyes, jabberin like a foo while she hands me kleenex (seriously) but it wasnt like that at all. I dont know if other CBT sessions are similar but the approach with mine seems, to me, quite loose and random - doesn't seem to be any structure at all infact! Which is interesting as it feels like the session just flows by...8)
One thing I know for certain is that the therapist has got me to see patterns in my (subconscious) thinking which had dictated my behaviour for something like 6years!! 8O
Now that im aware of these thoughts, I've noticed a gradual shift in how I deal with certain situations which usually caused irrational anxiety. Not to say I don't have days where I feel like im back at square one, but I get them less and with less intensity especially around people.. which is good, right? :wink:

Okk

Barnum

My therapist hasn't ever even talked about any other options than CBT. Maybe it's because the drug industry isn't as powerful over here, so he doesn't make that much more money by prescribing me pills. However, I'm very happy with CBT and have made tremendous progress in the past six months.

I got laid with CBT.

rado31

I will give it a try in any form than i can. Today i took a pill that doc prescribed me for my Bipolar- and i m unable to leave the house + i m having some really nasty hallucinations.
Simple , it isnt working and he isnt believeng me . The guy told me that the pill works if i believe in it (By that logic cianid wouldnt work if i dont believe that it work? )
So, i will try to lobotomize maself with some CBT books that i m lucky to have.

Sorry for letting discouraging thoughts in yo direction,but i think it is a part of my folklor.

Allan

rado31 said:
Today i took a pill that doc prescribed me for my Bipolar- and i m unable to leave the house + i m having some really nasty hallucinations.
Simple , it isnt working and he isnt believeng me . The guy told me that the pill works if i believe in it (By that logic cianid wouldnt work if i dont believe that it work? )

They can perscribe drugs that are effectively placebos now? O_O Tut tut...

okkamsrazor

Barnum said:
I got laid with CBT.

LOL! The powers of CBT are clearly evident and on display.. :p

rado31 said:
I will give it a try in any form than i can. Today i took a pill that doc prescribed me for my Bipolar- and i m unable to leave the house + i m having some really nasty hallucinations.
So, i will try to lobotomize maself with some CBT books that i m lucky to have.

Sorry for letting discouraging thoughts in yo direction,but i think it is a part of my folklor.

Jaysus I shud call u Radopocalypse from now on :roll: j/k
Sounds bad what you got man, hallucinations?! Frikkin doctor givin you pills and then telling you to believe in them!? WTF kinda sh*t is that?! Cant u get a second opinion or something? I dont know how bipolar affects a person so I cant really say 'stop the pills' (which is what id do) but CBT has been used to treat psychosis successfully, and thats a pretty tough mental disorder. You live in serbia right? surely they gots psychologists workin the registers (most psychologists now use CBT methods)?

Okk

silentbutdeadly

Barnum said:
I got laid with CBT.
Man, that's the perfect quote for a testimonial on the back of a CBT book or something!!!!! 8)

No, but seriously though, I found an audio series that uses comprehensive CBT. It's called Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step by Step. Do a torrent-search for it, and make sure you download the one with the workbook included. I've only started it, so I don't know how effective it will be. It claims to help you reprogram and get rid of your anxiety-causing thoughts, but it recommends only one "tape" per week because rushing through would be to "sabotage" yourself (there are 20 tapes total).

For you rich people, the real version is here: http://www.socialanxietyinstitute.org/audioseries.html

rado31

okk, i just want to know how in the hell cbt threapist came to conclusion that you have self-defeating thougths that started 6 years ago? I can find that i have some self-defeating (and later self-doubting thoughts) from the my early childhood (I remeber when my parents introduce me as shy person at ~ age of 4 and how furiosly i tried to deny that).

I dont know what i might have. I ve read some real bad thing about Bip-disorer recently and more i read about it - the more upset i'm.
If you give me book of disorders- i will point every disorder like the one i have. I d rather read some Jehova's witnesses brochure. Or watch some cartoon

:?

okkamsrazor

rado31 said:
okk, i just want to know how in the hell cbt threapist came to conclusion that you have self-defeating thougths that started 6 years ago? I can find that i have some self-defeating (and later self-doubting thoughts) from the my early childhood (I remeber when my parents introduce me as shy person at ~ age of 4 and how furiosly i tried to deny that).

I dont know what i might have. I ve read some real bad thing about Bip-disorer recently and more i read about it - the more upset i'm.
If you give me book of disorders- i will point every disorder like the one i have. I d rather read some Jehova's witnesses brochure. Or watch some cartoon

:?

Well she came to the conclusion by piecing together my life (based on what i told her) and iscolating key moments, which, didnt seem at the time to be of any significance but when viewed together revealed a load of stuff...quite an expereince to have someone else identify things in your life which unknowingly had a negative affect on you...

Rado, listen bro - the more you think you have these symptoms the more you will begin to display them & the harder it will be for you to start to let go of them...and dont read books abt disorders - ur messin ur stack up, try to see a talk therapist and let them do the work - oh and punch your doctor in the face for me :roll:
...joking!

rado31

If you are using cbt to fit in , you must ask yourself what are you trying to fit in? Therapist will give you part of identities that you are feeling that you missing; the parts that he is giving to you arent authentic ones discoverd by your true self. So , you will ask yourself on the long distance what does therapist says about some subject. I dont like that way, i would rather try some self help.

My first method will be to put my good features on the paper, mainly physicall ones because i dont have friends & so cant be objective + my id is so lost in this complex mirror system of anxiety.

Yes , i was thinking about kicking ass of this eminent (yes he is eminent) Doctor -but they are protected like some rare animals (Phufff)

Barnum

rado31 said:
If you are using cbt to fit in , you must ask yourself what are you trying to fit in? Therapist will give you part of identities that you are feeling that you missing; the parts that he is giving to you arent authentic ones discoverd by your true self.
I feel it is the complete opposite. CBT is constantly increasing my ability to be my true self. My SA makes it hard for me to act on most of my urges, and therapy is slowly breaking down these barriers that in reality only exist in my mind.

Drugs can take away the effects of anxiety temporarily, but only in-depth therapy can fight anxiety in a way that lets you live life the way you deserve to. :D

rado31

I think it has got more to do with the fact of phase of sexual healing that you are in. Sex can give you more firmer attitude/machism, give you relief from fear phuff...
So, the key for males is that sweety thing that we visitors of this forum
not get that easy

I'm not saying that Cbt is not efficient, it is good for most types of anxiety... But, i'm 100 percent sure that effectiveness of it is Veeery doubtful if you suffer with any kind of OCD plus you are a bit depressed<--It's very tricky and even risky then. Since i m perfectionsit with some kind of hmm 'intrusive' thoughts I'm only willing to try it on my own, when i m relaxed , laid back and i dont care to much if that written in book is rigid. C'mon , what is bad in All or Nothing thinking if you are smart enough ? :wink:

Barnum

rado31 said:
I'm not saying that Cbt is not efficient, it is good for most types of anxiety... But, i'm 100 percent sure that effectiveness of it is Veeery doubtful if you suffer with any kind of OCD plus you are a bit depressed<--It's very tricky and even risky then. Since i m perfectionsit with some kind of hmm 'intrusive' thoughts I'm only willing to try it on my own, when i m relaxed , laid back and i dont care to much if that written in book is rigid. C'mon , what is bad in All or Nothing thinking if you are smart enough ? :wink:
The bad thing is that either you're being yourself or not at all. Such unstable behaviour is hardly good for improving your condition.