Roommates~how to find other shy people..?

Etbow23

So I've started living in a house that's owned by my mother..well her boyfriend really. & I have to find two tenants. My boyfriend lives here with me right now. I'm really worried about the situation, though I've been proactive and created an ad on craigslist and made a flyer to hang up. My mother only wants other students at the house, understandably I suppose. I in general don't really want anyone, but obviously i can't pay this. so. I would probably be ok with people who are shy and even though they're trying to get ahead, they've dealt with some things in their lives. like someone who's reserved but *clicks* with me. That's a rare thing i guess.

I got my first reply tonight from someone who goes to the school I will be going to. Which was a total surprise, because i didn't think i'd get much progress from craigslist. She seems nice, but of course, sociable and ahead of me in school although we're the same age, which stirred my inferiority problems. I emailed her back, but I couldn't help but compare myself to Dolores in "She's Come Undone," writing to her potential college roommate, lying about some made-up fantastic life when in reality she was a total mess. And then Kippy was furious when she found out her roommate was actually an obese loner. (I'm not obese, but a little overweight. lol) Don't know if you know what i'm talking about, but it's from this book.

Aaanyways. Since I'm only allowed to find student tenants, that narrows down my options a bit. Anyone else been in the situation where they have to have a roommate? I'm of course very friendly and everything, but I just never feel comfortable with super-social, happy-types. Not that I'm judgmental, but I usually get the feeling they don't like me. Another problem is that i'm in Austin where I don't know anyone cuz I just moved here and the girl who emailed me is all the way in Houston so it would be a bit difficult to set up an appointment to see the house/meet each other or whatever. It would probably be a get to know each other online-move in scenario. Or even better, anyone live around here???

Help!!

O'Killian

I dunno if this'll work and I literally just had the thought based on my own experiences, but your school might have an organization for helping off-campus students. Chances are they could at least give you advice on finding prospective tenants/roommates who are also students.

As far as living there, I'll be moving to nearby San Marcos in a couple of weeks, though obviously I've already got my living situation figured out. If you don't mind my asking, what school will you be attending? I looked into most of them in the area before settling on Texas State, partly because of tuition and partly because I didn't want to go straight from living in the sticks to living in a city as large as Austin, heh.

Etbow23

I dunno if this'll work and I literally just had the thought based on my own experiences, but your school might have an organization for helping off-campus students. Chances are they could at least give you advice on finding prospective tenants/roommates who are also students.

As far as living there, I'll be moving to nearby San Marcos in a couple of weeks, though obviously I've already got my living situation figured out. If you don't mind my asking, what school will you be attending? I looked into most of them in the area before settling on Texas State, partly because of tuition and partly because I didn't want to go straight from living in the sticks to living in a city as large as Austin, heh.

St Edward's