SA support group

Sad-Kitten

So what happens at an SA support/meetup group? I was looking at some SA groups in my area and was wondering what they do? They say they are a social group, so i was wondering what that means? What activity's would a SA group do? And has anyone here been to a SA social meeting in WA?

ZiggyCosmicJive

I've done several Google searches for an SA group in my area and came up with nothing. That's one thing that sucks about not living around a big city- there are less opportunities. Good luck finding help out in Washington. Your chances are probably best near Seattle, maybe Spokane.

ZiggyCosmicJive

^lol,

Thats one way to think about it, Riiya, but I think I could open up a lot more around people who know I have SA and have it themselves, and if there was enough leadership for the group to get put together in the first place, then they would probably have the leadership to not let that happen a lot.

lyricalliaisons

It would be awesome if there were SA meetings around where I live, but there aren't any. & even if there were, I don't have health insurance, or money, so I couldn't go :( .

Actually, in my limited experience, they're very social. They chat about their experiences, life situations, CBT/therapy/etc, and also just small talk in general. Remember it's almost exclusively the people with mild anxiety, or who've recovered but want to help others, who will actually show up. In one sense that's good, though in another sense it's uncomfortable to be the quiet one who they prod to participate.

Andrew

We don't have any specific to social phobia in my city. There is one related to anxiety disorders in general and I went to that one once. Everybody there was over 50 and I was 19 so I really couldn't relate to any of them.

Sad-Kitten

Everybody there was over 50 and I was 19 so I really couldn't relate to any of them.
Thats what i'm kinda worried about :?

Remember it's almost exclusively the people with mild anxiety, or who've recovered but want to help others, who will actually show up.
I found one that said it was for people with severe social anxiety but i think it was a ways away, and i'm not really sure how many people with severe SA would show up :(

Unfortunately i think for the time being i feel like i can only relate to other people with SA. I'm not really sure where else to look :?

jackinwa

Thats what i'm kinda worried about :?

I found one that said it was for people with severe social anxiety but i think it was a ways away, and i'm not really sure how many people with severe SA would show up :(

Unfortunately i think for the time being i feel like i can only relate to other people with SA. I'm not really sure where else to look :?

Well, I'm 33 but sometimes I act like I'm 5... (how sweet it is acting like a goof) ...ask anyone at my work about me (hahaha)... and I live in Olympia, Washington. I hope this helps, Sad-Kitten. Good luck in your search?

-Jack in WA