SA symbol

Which symbol should we use to identify each other?

• bead necklace w/letters that say SAD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ¿Evitas? (Spanish for "Do you avoid?")

• Go here to see it: www.fobiasocial.net/postt4388.html (You'll have to scroll down, but eventually, y

• brick wall

• small "SA" written on the backs of our hands

• bracelets (made out of string or something with a certain color combo;they wouldn't have to be too g

• SAD in a cool font

• Total voters

HiApeNest

Okay, if you like my idea of having a symbol (see "Just a thought..." in the metting people forum), vote here, please. I was talking to some people on SAS, and we decided to go ahead and have a vote. I've gathered all of the ideas together, and I set the poll for a week, so if you want to vote, make sure you do it before the end of the voting period.

HiApeNest

Someone on another site had another idea. They suggested hands imprisoned by chains. Someone already voted on here, so I couldn't add anything. If you like that idea, just say, "I vote for the hands," or something like that.

Crimefish

Can I ask what we're supposed to do with the blue symbol and the "SAD in a cool font"? Are they for signatures or tattoos? Otherwise I'm just gonna go for the bracelet. Cool ideas.

LilMissTragic

Well I wont be wearing a symbol thanks, Its too much like a stereotypical dog collar!
Its just like being jewish in Nazi germany. Having to wear a tag to say we are different to everyone else. Lets just stick to reading body language, its tells us a lot anyways. You can usually tell a socialphobe a mile off!

Anonymous

I agree w/ "lilmiss'..... why wear anything to point us all out? We do a good enough job doing that on our worn w/o any help. Sometimes it's bad enough--- it SEEMS as if I am wearing a neon flashing sign that is only visable to others saying "I'm Phobic", and it's like I'm a target for people wanting to see my reactions.... yikes... thanks but NO THANKS> I'm not going to be anyone's entertainment w/o compensation for it! I won't PAY without getting paid!

HiApeNest

Crimefish said:
Can I ask what we're supposed to do with the blue symbol and the "SAD in a cool font"? Are they for signatures or tattoos? Otherwise I'm just gonna go for the bracelet. Cool ideas.

Right, good question. I should have explained that. You could use them for signatures and tattoos if you want, but it's mainly just for whatever. If we use one of those, we could just draw it on stuff, you know, like backpacks or clothes or I guess on our hands or wherever. It would just be a symbol. If you see someone with the symbol on them or on something they're carrying, you would know that they are an SAer. It wouldn't have to be used in any particular way.

Jordan

The idea of a symbol should be taken seriously, and I am definitely favorable to it in principle.

A sort of logo (like the blue symbol) could be the starting point. Once its shape and colours has been chosen (I suggest _two_, such as light blue and white), it can beshown in different ways. Bracelets, necklaces, T-shirts or whatever. And what about a ring?

The objection about strangers who can recognize the symbol (it's not a secret society after all) and gang up against you is sound. However, one might use the concerned items with caution, deciding when display them and when not.

By example, a girl wearing a SP T-shirt may decide that to conceal her condition, and remove it - leaving her with a bra that does not mark her as such. If she doesn't wear a bra, that's even better.

Kidding aside, this is why I would avoid something permanent like a tattoo (unless you choose to be really upfront about it). There is plenty of choice with other items, even a small medal attached to the watch.

Furthermore, the colours themselves might be a hint to the symbol, so that the idea of a bracelet (say, light blue and white) can be combined with this.

LilMissTragic

FFS...Why dont we just go and get badges for every other problem we have too...I mean, i'll be needed a badge that shows i have Asthma, so other asthmatics will know i'm also a sufferer and could come to me if they have forgotten thier inhaler, just borrow mine. Or how about I get myself a renal transplant badge, so that other transplantees can see that they arent the only ones with those weird side effects, would it make them feel they are not alone...or perhpaps a badge stating my OCDs, that way people will realise why i can quite move away from that damn lightswitch!!!
FFS, I dont want anyone, including those with SP to know that I also have SP. I'm hardly going to label myself when others do it so well for me (that was sarcasm by the way)

Oh and dont bother replying to this post because I know where your coming from and what it is your trying to achieve. Its just that its not for me.

Anonymous

Same guest that shared lilmiss's opinion before back to share her same opinion again. I feelt exactly the same way she does. Next there will be a symbol/peice of jewelry SOMETHING to 'broadcast' to the public when the gals are having their time of the month. I think this is getting way out of porportion.... Frankly, it appears to me that advertising a disorder is saying that you are somewhat proud of the fact... what other purpose does it serve? I don't want anyopne showing ME any special attention/favors etc. just because of my disorders and making me crawl farther into my shell and NEVER coming out. YULK.

HiApeNest

Okay, one of the people that helped come up with the ¿Evitas? idea said it was supposed to be something we say to people that we think might have SAD. Then, they would either look at us like we're crazy (if they don't have it) in which case we would insist that we didn't say anything and they were simply hearing things, or they would say, "Claro," (if they do have it). So, that's another option. We could use the word as a written symbol or say it out loud. To me, that one sounds a little "dangerous" for an SAer. After all, one of the points of this is to avoid having to walk up and actually ask everyone we see if they have social anxiety disorder, but if you like the idea, you can vote for it.

LilMissTragic

LMAO....Sorry, I'm trying to figure out what the use of wearing a symbol or having a code word would actually be. Have you all forgotten that suffering from SP means that you get anxious in social situations, or find if difficult to talk to people....lol.
Let me set the scenerio:
Your walking down the street, in a big rush to get home because theres people about, you lift your head for the first time that day and notice someone wearing a SP symbol...ok, now what???. You going to walk over and Say "Hello, I'm SP too".
Like, Yeh right, how many of you would do that. I doubt if most of you would even give that person a glance in fear of them thinking your weird and then getting paranoid about the fact that he might be wearing that symbol for a laugh or maybe it doesnt even represent the thing you thought it did.
LMAO...Thanks for the laugh though :)

HiApeNest

LilMissTragic said:
LMAO....Sorry, I'm trying to figure out what the use of wearing a symbol or having a code word would actually be. Have you all forgotten that suffering from SP means that you get anxious in social situations, or find if difficult to talk to people....lol.
Let me set the scenerio:
Your walking down the street, in a big rush to get home because theres people about, you lift your head for the first time that day and notice someone wearing a SP symbol...ok, now what???. You going to walk over and Say "Hello, I'm SP too".
Like, Yeh right, how many of you would do that. I doubt if most of you would even give that person a glance in fear of them thinking your weird and then getting paranoid about the fact that he might be wearing that symbol for a laugh or maybe it doesnt even represent the thing you thought it did.
LMAO...Thanks for the laugh though :)

I would talk to them, but maybe I'm just weird.

wistful_dementia

Yep, yep... worry and lil make good points. I can understand where the author of this posting is coming from- sometimes it is somewhat relaxing just to think that maybe another SAD sufferor may be able to understand what I am going through- making it easier for me to open up to them. But, regardless, it would still be difficult for me to approach this person in the first place. Also, I would feel just silly wearing a symbol. I agree with worrydoll's position- I myself need to learn to be a less defensive and more trustful person, no matter who they are... to have a better judgement on who to judge and how to judge them... and also Somehow be less defensive and less sensitive towards other people's judgement...

Yossarian

I'm interested in an idea for a symbol for many reasons. All of which I have no need to justify to anyone.

Anonymous

Then....um what was your purpose for posting? :?

I have dreams... which I feel no need to tell anyone about
I have hopes, fears that I feel no need to reveal
I have didorders I'm not telling anyone about
Bet you are all glad I shared this with ya! lol