Sayings of Jesus

Mary

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." John 14:1

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:25-27

italiano

i shall stick to the big bang theory, religion is just an excuse for an answer to why people are here. religion has no space in my life thanks, but i do stil respect people of their own views :)

They're very comforting scriptures :)

It's good that you have found strength to heal and cope, I'm not personally religious but having faith in something or someone is important.

We should have a thread for comforting quotes / scriptures (goes off to make one :D ).

Naomi x

Mary

Jesus also said:
"The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." Luke 4:18-21

"If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free." John 8:31-32

"Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no place in the family, but a son belongs in it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you willl be free indeed." John 8:34-36

bluenow

I like the one that Jesus says to, "turn the other cheek". Don't remember exactly but basically if somebody slaps your face, turn the other cheek for them to slap. I suppose that is literal and figurative.
Not exactly upliftying but interesting to think of the type of person that could live that way.

Mary

Here some good parables for you Remus, although really almost everything Jesus spoke was a parable! LOL.

This is the parable of the lost sheep.

"What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost." Matthew 18:12-14

This is the parable of the wedding banquet.

" The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son. He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come. Then he sent some more servants and said, "Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.
But they paid no attention and went off--one to his field, another to his business. The rest siezed his servants, mistreated them and killed them. The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. Then he said to the servants, "The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. Go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find. So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, both good and bad and the wedding hall was filled with guests." Matt. 22:2-8

Mary

Jesus said," I am not possessed by a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is judge. I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:49-51

"Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate, whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out and find pasture. The thief comes only to kill, steal and destroy; I have come that they may have life and have it in abundance. I am the good shephard. The good shephard lays down his life for the sheep"
John 10:7-11

" The reason my father loves me is that I lay down my life--only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I recieved fr. my father." John 10-17-18

Reholla

good post Mary!! Here are some more I have saved, and read to comfort me every once in a while:

- "Let us not become weary in doing good for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

II Corinthians 4:16
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

I Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

Psalm 34:4
I sought the LORD , and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.

Psalm 34:17-22
The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all; he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken. Evil will slay the wicked; the foes of the righteous will be condemned. The LORD redeems his servants; no one will be condemned who takes refuge in him.

John 16:33
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Romans 5:2-5
And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

I probably already repeated some other people have said. These just are so encouraging, and help me realize I'm not a lone, and this all has a purpose. We aren't just meaninglessly suffering.

Mary

Thanks Reholla, and I agree w/you, it isn't just meaningless suffering. I like to think of how it must have appeared to other people watching Jesus dying on the cross, they could not see what was really happening the purpose behind it all. But God knew, and Jesus knew and so he endured it for his love for us. It wasn't all meaningless and I know what we go through isn't either. Maybe we can't see the why behind it now, but I believe one day we will.

another scripture is this one: "and will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you he will see that they get justice and quickly. However when the son of man comes, will he find faith on earth?" Luke 18:7-8

"Jesus told this parable. "two men went up to the temple to pray, one a pharisee and the other a tax collector. The pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: "God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all that I get."
"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, "God have mercy on me, a sinner."
"I tell you that this man, rather than the other went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." Luke 18:10-14

For me these scriptures confirm that God will not turn us away when we cry out to him in our distress and that He does not ignore us. All he wants is for us to be honest and sincere with him, and realize that we can never be "good enough" on our own, we all need Him.

Mary

Jamez I agree w/you! Jesus is great. :D To thoughtless, you have every right to your opinion's but this is just a post about sayings of Jesus and if you want to debate the validity of his existence there is allways zosimas debate forum for that! :wink:

Back on topic: Jesus said this, "What is impossible with men is possible with God." Luke 18:27
(when asked who then can be saved?)

Jesus also said, "Blessed are those who hear the word of God and obey it." Luke 11:28

"Ask and it shall be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks recieves; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." Matt.7:7-8

testobot

It is debatable about the existence of an omnipotent supernatural being that plays a hand in the daily activities of human being or offered wisdom through prophets. Eventhough possibly delusional in thinking that they had messages from a supernatural being, the prophets did occasionally have good wisdom to offer the world. As far as Jesus, yes, there is alot of evidence that he was an actual human being (especially from jewish and roman historians) but was only a human, a son of God, or a prophet? All that is debatable. The wisdom I find in Jesus's message have to do with love, humility, and reconciliation.

here is one saying of his that I like "Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you,
leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother,and then offer your gift."

ah and this one is a classic: " You have heard of old time that you should love your neighbors and hate your enemies. But I say, love your enemies, bless them that curse you. Do good to them that harm you, and pray for them that spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father who showers His rain upon the evil and the good. If you love only those who love you, what virtue is there in that? Even liars love one another. If you salute your own kind only, what do you more than Roman soldiers or corrupt tax-collectors? And if you lend only to those from whom you hope to receive, what virtue is there in that? Even extortionists lend to one another, knowing they will get their money back. So give to those who ask your help, and if any want to borrow from you, do not turn them down."

It is too easy to dehumanize our enemies in order to seek revenge or justice, but short of total victory through power (which is rare) it is easier and more productive to seek understanding and reconcilation. I think the strength and wisdom of nonviolent figures such as Ghandi, Jesus, and Buddha, have done more to change the world for the better than endless violence and revenge. Eventhough violence (whether relational or physical violence) and vengence can be more emotionally gratifying and 'ego-protective' it does little to end suffering and promote long term justice. And of course we always have to watch our backs when somebody is trying to protect their pride or self-esteem by seeking revenge. :D

LA-girl

elaine said:
When I was questioning GOD about why I had social anxiety, a couple of days later I walked into a Baptist Church for the first time and heard this:

Paul's Vision and His Thorn in the Flesh:

This boasting is all so foolish, but let me go on. Let me tell about the visions and revelations I received from the Lord. I was caught up into the third heaven 14 yrs ago. Whether my body was there or just my spirit, I don't know; only God knows. But I do know that I was caught up in paradise and heard things so astounding that they cannot be told. That experience is worth boasting about, but I am not going to do it. I am going to boast only about my WEAKNESSES. I have plenty to boast about and would be no fool in doing it, because I would be telling the truth. But I won't do it. I don't want anyone to think more highly of me than what they can actually see in my life and my message, even though I have received wonderful revelations from God. But to keep me from getting puffed up, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from getting proud. Three times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said "MY GRACIOUS FAVOR IS ALL YOU NEED. MY POWER WORKS BEST IN YOUR WEAKNESS." SO NOW I AM GLAD TO BOAST ABOUT MY WEAKNESSES, SO THAT THE POWER OF CHRIST MAY WORK THROUGH ME. SINCE I KNOW IT IS ALL FOR CHRIST'S GOOD, I AM QUITE CONTENT WITH MY WEAKNESSES AND WITH INSULTS, HARDSHIPS, PERSECUTIONS, AND CALAMITIES.

FOR WHEN I AM WEAK, THEN I AM STRONG.
(2 Corinthians, Ch.12, 1-10)

THANK YOU SO MUCH ELAINE!!! I really needed to hear that... :lol:

easy

elaine said:
When I was questioning GOD about why I had social anxiety, a couple of days later I walked into a Baptist Church for the first time and heard this:

Paul's Vision and His Thorn in the Flesh:

This boasting is all so foolish, but let me go on. Let me tell about the visions and revelations I received from the Lord. I was caught up into the third heaven 14 yrs ago. Whether my body was there or just my spirit, I don't know; only God knows. But I do know that I was caught up in paradise and heard things so astounding that they cannot be told. That experience is worth boasting about, but I am not going to do it. I am going to boast only about my WEAKNESSES. I have plenty to boast about and would be no fool in doing it, because I would be telling the truth. But I won't do it. I don't want anyone to think more highly of me than what they can actually see in my life and my message, even though I have received wonderful revelations from God. But to keep me from getting puffed up, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from getting proud. Three times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said "MY GRACIOUS FAVOR IS ALL YOU NEED. MY POWER WORKS BEST IN YOUR WEAKNESS." SO NOW I AM GLAD TO BOAST ABOUT MY WEAKNESSES, SO THAT THE POWER OF CHRIST MAY WORK THROUGH ME. SINCE I KNOW IT IS ALL FOR CHRIST'S GOOD, I AM QUITE CONTENT WITH MY WEAKNESSES AND WITH INSULTS, HARDSHIPS, PERSECUTIONS, AND CALAMITIES.

FOR WHEN I AM WEAK, THEN I AM STRONG.
(2 Corinthians, Ch.12, 1-10)

These are just words. They have no meaning.

Mary

Jesus Calms The Storm:

Without warning a furious storm came up over the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him saying, "Lord, save us! We are going to drown!" He replied, " You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"Matt.8:24-27

"I am the vine and you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given to you. " John 15:5-7

"Come to me all who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matt. 11:28-30

Good for you Cutefluffykitten! :D

Mary

Big hug back at you cutefluffy! :D

Here is possibly one of my favorite passages of the bible: The Sermon on the mount preached By Jesus.

Matthew 5: 3-12

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all

kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because

great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the

prophets who were before you."

garnet

Hi Cutefluffykitten and Mary!

It's fantastic to hear such positive affirmations. :D

I too think that we need to put our faith in God to help us through this trial. I have only recently diagnosed myself with social anxiety, and I've read so many books and websites to try and understand as much as I can about SP.

It's quite remarkable that these experts have written that the ideal treatment for people such as ourselves is a combination of medication, counselling and self-help groups - yet there is no mention of faith or spirituality in there!

I am a Christian, and I view myself as quite a spiritual person, and I can't imagine trying to get through this without Him. How can people who read those passages from the bible fail to be comforted, whether they are believers or not?

I don't even think you need to necessarily believe in God either. As long as you lead some form of spiritual life perhaps including some form of meditation.

I love that old saying, 'God only gives you as much as you can handle' ! :)

Looking forward to hearing more positive quotes. I'll try and compile a list of my personal favourites to share with you all.