Sayings of Jesus

Mary

Hello Garnet and LA-girl, I hope you and everyone else on here are doing good today! :D

"But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.
Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. The one who recieved the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who received the seed and at once received it with joy. But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. The one who recieved the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. But the one who recieved the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."Matt.13: 16-23

Mary

"This, then, is how you should pray:
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed (HOLY) be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
Forgive us our debts, as we have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one."

For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." Matt. 6:9-15

" But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is there will your heart be also.
The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!
No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." Matt.20-24

"So do not worry saying, "what shall we eat and what shall we drink? or what shall we wear? For pagans run after these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matt. 6: 31-34

garnet

Hi Mary :D

I said the other day that I would post some of my favourite passages for those moments when you need comfort or reassurance. Here it goes:

'Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have spoken to you' Gen 28 v13-15

'My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.' Psalm 119 v28

'For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope' Romans 15v4

'Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!' 2 Corinthians 5 v 17

'For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.' Isaiah 49 v 13

:D And finally, my particular favourite at the moment,
'Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of Compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.' 2 Corin 1v3+4

Mary

Sitting at the feet of Jesus:

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, " Lord don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
"Martha, Martha," The Lord answered, "You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10-38-42

Living according to the Spirit of God:

"You my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature, rather, serve one another in love. The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your nieghbor as yourself." If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by ea. other."
So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, debauchery, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, discord, jealousy,fits of rage,selfish ambition,dissensions, factions and envy, drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you that those who live like this will not inherit the Kingdom of God."
But the fruit of the Spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness,gentleness, and self control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ have crucified the sinful nature with it's passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." Galatians 5:13-25

crescent

Here's one of my fave:

"In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world" (John 16:33).

Mary

Yes Crescent that is a good one! :D
Here are some more scriptures, some not sayings of Jesus but I believe Inspired by God!

"All things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His Purpose." Romans 8:28

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

" I will bless the Lord at all times, His praise shall continously be in my mouth." Psalm 34:1

"If you abide in my word, you are my disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free."John 8:31-32

Mary

"Then he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says,"Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.
Then the one on the inside answers, "Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything. I tell you, though he will not get up because he is a friend, yet because of the man's boldness he will get up and give him as much as he needs.
So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks the door will be opened.
Which of your fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" Luke 11:5-13

Mary

JESUS PROMISES THE HOLY SPIRIT

"If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--the Spirit of Truth. The world cannot acknowledge him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. Before long the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in the Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." John 14:15-21

"All this I have spoken while still with you. But the counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:25-27

Mary

Jesus teaches a teacher:

"Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him."
In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."
"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, "You must be born again. The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."
"How can this be?" Nicodemus asked.
"You are israels teacher," Said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things? I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our tesimony. I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?..."
"For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn it but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God." JOHN 3:2-21

Mary

Italiano you are only part right, there aren't Gods..there is only one true God. But again.. this isn't a debate post about God's existence, it is only for sayings of Jesus. So people please try and stay on topic, o.k? :wink:
For debate's zosima will be glad to have you go to his debate post, I'm sure. :wink:

" FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD THAT HE GAVE HIS ONE AND ONLY SON, THAT WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM SHALL NOT PERISH BUT MAY HAVE ETERNAL LIFE. FOR GOD DID NOT SEND HIS SON INTO THIS WORLD TO CONDEMN THE WORLD, BUT TO SAVE THE WORLD THROUGH HIM. WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM IS NOT CONDEMNED BUT WHOEVER DOES NOT BELIEVE STANDS CONDEMNED ALLREADY BECAUSE HE HAS NOT BELEIVED IN THE NAME OF GOD'S ONE AND ONLY SON.
THIS IS THE VERDICT: LIGHT HAS COME INTO THE WORLD, BUT MEN LOVED DARKNESS INSTEAD OF THE LIGHT BECAUSE THEIR DEEDS WERE EVIL. EVERYONE WHO DOES EVIL HATES THE LIGHT, AND WILL NOT COME INTO IT FOR FEAR THAT HIS DEEDS WILL BE EXPOSED. BUT WHOEVER LIVES BY THE TRUTH COMES INTO THE LIGHT, SO THAT IT MAY BE SEEN PLAINLY THAT WHAT HE HAS DONE HAS BEEN DONE THROUGH GOD." JOHN 3:16-21

Mary

"The time has come," he said, "The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!" Mark 1:15

"My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin, But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." 1 John 2:1,2

"..When the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we have done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Saviour." Titus 3:4-6

Seeking God:

"The Lord is with you when you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you." 2 Chronicles 15:2

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.." Jeremiah 29:13

"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things which you do not know." Jeremiah 33:3

Mary

"Jesus answered,"I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know Him and have seen him." John 14:6-7

The bible isn't just an interesting read. :wink: It's so much more. The above passage to me, is one of the most important parts of the bible, all parts matter but the above saying of Jesus (which is this topic) says it all..Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. If you are lost, he is the way, if you need answers he is the truth and when you die, he is the life. :wink: Read the bible..it just might bless you!! :)

Mildsauce

Just wanted to say thanks to y'all. This thread really put a smile in my heart tonight and I really needed it. Thank you.

God bless.

LA-girl

Jesus Christs the true Light

That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.
And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

John 1,9-18

Mary

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my father I have made known to you. You did not choose me,but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other." John 15:9-17
"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember the words I spoke to you,"No servant is greater than his master." If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you in this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. Now however, they have no excuse for their sin. He who hates me, hates my father as well. If I had not done among them what no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen these miracles, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. But this is to fulfill what is written in the law. "They hated me without reason."
When the counsellor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me." John 15:18-26