Self-Confidence

Jack-B

All,

As i have read a few posts that relate to confidence and comparing ourself to others i have decided to write a seperate post which i hope you find useful.

Self-confidence is cultivated by examining beforehand what needs to be done, according to our capacity, and then completing whatever we have started. Our confidence in our ability will grow if we are realistic about what we can do. Note: Our self-confidence should not be dependent on how others act or how we perceive them, yet this is how we usually relate to them, this is unbalanced and mistaken.

Sometimes we are shy around people who we 'perceive' to be confident and outgoing. Or, we feel confident and chatty around people who we 'perceive' to be shyer than us. We behave in this unbalanced way because we compare ourselves to others. We then usually over-exaggerate what they/ourself are capable of and this leads to an unrealistic approach to relating to them.

When we perceive others as being more confident what we really do is 'imagine' that they have certain qualities and then imagine we lack these qualities. This leads to a lack of confidence in ourself.

The same is true for these so called shyer people in the same way that we imagine that we have certain qualities which they lack. It then feels like we are confident or have found confidence.

Both these ways of relating to others is unbalanced.

What i mean by 'imagined' qualities is that we can only know for ourself what is going on inside us. People may genuinely be confident or shyer than us but we should deal with what we know and not what we think we see in others. Our experience of confidence will then be genuine and stable and not dependent on anyone else.

I wouldn't be surprised that most of the really confident people we know gain confidence in this way, almost a false sense of confidence. They appear confident but are really masking/hiding their insecurities well.

So in the case of us here at this wonderful site, how can we genuinely improve our self-confidence so our feelings are not dependent on how others appear?

1. Understand the benefits of being self-confident.
2. Understand the faults of not being self-confident.
3. Understand what has to be done, according to our capacity and completing what we have started.

1. Understand the benefits of being self-confident.
Our experience of real mental freedom improves
Our experience of happiness improves.
We become balanced and peaceful

2. Understand the faults of not being self-confident
Over-exaggerated negative thoughts about self & others
Loss of control leading to unhappiness
Creation of negative mental habits & memories which get replayed/relived

3. Understand what has to be done, according to our capacity and completing what we have started.
What is the desired outcome? What effect do we want to create?

Lets say we want to be able to communicate effictively with others whilst enjoying ourself.

Usually we judge beforehand what needs to be done in a negative way so every social situation is already a struggle because we set unrealistic expectations of ourself based on what we think others will say/think. Consequently after every social situation we engage in negative anaylsis of our performance.

So we need to set ourself realistic goals of what we can do. If thats only saying a simple 'hello' to someone thats fine, there's then no need for further anaylsis of how we are doing. We meet our goal of what we want to do and be happy about it!

If we have a meeting at work or are meeting a stranger and we start getting nervous, we remember what we set ourself beforehand. We only need to do whatever it is we set out to do.

If we start ourself off slowly keeping things as simple as possible, we find an extraordinary amount of freedom where we dont then need to engage in any further negative anaylsis of ourself.

Say your goal is just to say hello to one person everyday, stick to it and be happy that you can do this. Over time according to your capacity you increase your level and have an 'inner wealth of strength' or personal experience that you 'can do it'. So you up your game. This is how to build a strong basis of true inner self confidence which cannot be shaken by anyone elses actions.

It takes time, familiarity, and yet it's so simple.

Examples/other ideas/goals:

speak to x strangers per day
say 'hello' to x persons per day
tell x stories per day
stop thinking about SA/SP for x hours per day
be in a place with lots of people x per day
talk to someone for 5 seconds without going 'blank'
stop thinking 'others are thinking about me' for x hours
start conversation with everyone you meet
reveal something no-one knows about you to x persons a day/week
do something that always freaks you out or 'shakey' for a few minutes

The most important thing to remember in my experience is to complete what you set out to do, be happy with it, regardless of what else happens. Wipe the slate clean of your past negative memories and experiences and start off slowly then build up to a good a mental workout.

Jack

avenger

i am in a big black hole i have none at all everytime i get some i lose so i try to avoid people in generial

pitkreet

Thanks for the excellent post, Jack!

It's always good to have some more construvctive advice which we can all apply in our lives.

Quixote

Good analysis and sound advice, even though I think this kind of attitude might work better when the SP is at its worst, and perhaps not equally well for milder cases.

I have tried several times to force myself into doing things, sometimes step by step, at other times all at once. I obtained decent results in what I did, on average, and over time I have built some degree of confidence, which is good, yet the fundamental personality problem doesn't go away at all, which is frustrating.

Rainman

Yeah, good post Jack. I think a lot of us are aware of the basics of how to gain confidence and why we should gain confidence.

We already know that not having confidence makes us feel bad, and we know what confidence feels like. Because, we do actually have confidence in certain situations and with certain abilities.

There are days when we have really good days, we feel very positive, unstoppable, sparkling with energy and then there are days when we feel exactly the opposite. This tells us that confidence really is a state of mind.

Why can certain drugs make us feel better? Because they chemically alter our mind and change our moods. This is the key.

If you rely on thought alone, I've found you can only go a certain distance, depending on how strong your will power is, how adaptable you are and how much you can control your own mind. When you try to convince your mind it is "confident" you can only maintain that for a certain lengh of time, before your old ego bounces back.

It's the same for the best of actors. They can only maintain their character for a certain length of time, and again subject to circumstances. Have you seen the best of actors in their bad takes?

It was like that with me yesterday. I tried to be more confident yesterday, I mentally psyched myself up and I walked confidently. I saw just how much difference it made. It felt like I was a star walking and I got quite a lot of positive looks from women. They could see a confident, hot guy was walking :D But how long could I maintain that? As soon as I got to where I was going(a lecture on something) and sat down, it fizzled out and my old more nervous and lesser confident ego bounced back.

I totally understand every word you have said Jack, and believe it myself. I think as Quixote said, this will help someone who has a more extreme case and still entertains irrational beliefs. For those of us with mild clases, and when I say mild, we understand the logic, but are still grappling with getting our and mind and body to synchronize with the logic.

So I know that it doesn't really matter if I goof up in a social interaction, because I'll get more chances anyway, but I can't still stop thinking about it. I still can't stop seeing it play over and over in my mind. I still can't thinking what impressions I left. It still makes me feel bad.

The logic is down Jack, but it's getting your mind and body to agree with it that that is difficult and honestly a struggle. Though what the logic does is keep you going and trying. You learn with every opportunity.

There is a combination of things you should do to gain confidence and overcome your anxiety and it should be holistic. You should treat yourself as mind-body-soul. If you rely just on thought, you are only treating your self on the level of mind. If you rely on just behaviour, you are only treating yourself on the level of body. If you rely on just belief, you are only treating yourself on the level of spirit.

What I have realised(the hard way) that I need to a lot more than just psyche myself up and change my belief system. I need to completely transform my life in every way.

YES, I cannot emphasise this enough. You want to change from being anxious to confident, unpopular to popular, negative to positive, nobody to somebody. You need a dramatic transformation in your life, your lifestyle and your habits.

This is what I am doing to change myself:

I have started going to the gym
I have started joining clubs to meet people
I have started to change how I walk and stand
I have started actually expressing my opinions in front of people

And this is just the beginning. I am really going to go to the extremes. My next task is to take up a sport and change my wardrobe and what I eat. Just a few years ago, I did none of this. I stayed home, barely left the house, did not talk to anybody and ate whever was in the fridge at irregular times. I have come very far since then, and while I still have a long way to go, I know the only way now is forwards.