how often do you bite your fingernails?

• all the time; every day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • only when i'm really nervous

• hardly at all, or never

• Total voters
I have been a chronic nail biter as far back as I remember. I don't really care how they look, and the only problems it causes are not being to pick up coins off the table or having difficulty opening soda cans. Or when I bite too much off and they start to bleed, that stings for a a bit.

But anyway, POLL! PARTICIPATE!

dottie

hardly at all, or never

BUT i used to be an avid nail biter and it was a huge deal to quit. glad i stopped though. my nails look much better and having your hands in your mouth isn't attractive.

striker

You have anchored your shyness to nail biting.

Next time you feel shy, Start clapping. Now in order for this to form as a habit you need to do it for 21 days so your brain remembers the association.

Look up Pavlov's dog experiments.

xSleepy

I never bite them. Its hurts me teeth when I do. And I like to try to keep mine long anways.

All the time, everyday. I'll bite them until they bleed sometimes. So much, there isn't even anything left to bite. And once that is all finished I'll start biting and tearing off the skin on the sides of my nails.

Helyna

I hardly ever bite my nails. Mostly, it's only when I have a hangnail or something and can't get to a nail clipper. This usually means I'm biting the same part of the same nail all day at school because it won't stop bothering me.

When I was little, though, I tore my nails. I'd pick at one with another until it started to tear. It's a lot less controlled than biting, and it would hurt a lot! I don't remember how I quit. I think I just grew up and stopped doing it.

bleach

Banned
I have been doing this so long it is completely unconscious. I can never remember doing it , but somehow my nails get bitten off anyway. Maybe someone is doing it in my sleep.. 8O

theblank

I bit my nails my entire life up until a few years ago. I'm not sure if it was out of nervousness or whatever, but sometimes I would tear so much nail off of my thumb that I would get a painful infection and have to go to the doctor for treatment. Now I file my nails and they look much better and I am no longer tempted to bite them. It was hard to break the habit at first, but I would remind myself that I don't want to ruin the way they look and I definitely don't want to get an infection. Now it's a thing of the past.

chris87

I bit my nails for a long time, but I finally stopped. My parents were always bothering me about it.

ichiban

never... i don't think i even could. i tried biting them just now (i was curious... lol) but they're pretty hard, so i doubt i'd be a very successful nail-biter

PhantomPod

I never bite my nails now. Although, I did bite them up until 9th grade, when I remember consciously making an effort to quit. I never felt that it was linked to shyness and any anxiety I was feeling though.

But now, I still bite at the skin around my nails. I really need to stop that, because it starts to hurt, and it doesn't make my fingers look too nice. I am also constantly biting on the inside of my lips and cheeks.

And still, I don't think it's linked to my anxiety, I guess I just have an oral fixation, and like biting on things. Because I'm always biting on pens too.