Silver lining behind the cloud

spaceboy135

As I was driving around today turning in one job application and picking up another, I stopped by a hamburger place to go in and ask for one. On my way out, there was this strange, surreal feeling that struck me like lightning as I smiled and said "Excuse me" to a lady cleaning up the entry way window.

It seemed so easy at that moment to say that to her: 'Scuse me. (Smile.) I felt 5 years younger all of a sudden-- 5 years ago before I got social anxiety. The Michael who LOVES talking to strangers, loves talking to everybody. Like my brain showed me a photograph of my old people-loving confidence, and gave me a glimpse of how cool that used to feel.

So that just tells me that I'm still in there somewhere, and that this "new" personality-- the one that can't smile very much or make much eye contact or say a whole lot, the one that reads a ton and does a whole lot of solitary activities and spends a lot of time in my bedroom-- has done a pretty good job of even making mySELF forget who I am. But there's no need to fear, because I never left me. i'm still here. I'm just waiting till I overcome SA one way or another so I can come back out again and go Carpe Diem on the world to make up for the lost time.

I'm serious. I'd Carpe Diem life. I'd hop a train (before getting a job as a mechanical engineer, which I'm starting my final semester for tomorrow) and see where it takes me, and meet people and live with random strangers for indefinite periods of time, couch-surf-- I'd act in plays and build a party barn to play the fiddle in while family and friends dance, and write this play I've had growing in my mind for a few years now and have it premiere in there as well...

And... I'd write a book and dedicate it to you people, let you know that I know you through all the pain I experienced, and that I love you for your pain, because in that respect I know you very intimately, and that my heart reaches out for you. I'd do research on how the heck I overcame it (which I believe I will, even though I've experienced a setback lately that has practically dropped me back down to ground zero), and try to be a hero for you all. Because even if I failed in such a pursuit, a life attempted is a life not wasted.

Dr. Doom

Yeah, I have moments like that. They feel pretty good. Then when they are gone I'm like, what the hell happend? Where did that person go?

Emmaa

Good luck with your job applications :)

And thank you for posting this 'cause we definitely need some positivity on this site every now and then!

spaceboy135

Good luck with your job applications :)

And thank you for posting this 'cause we definitely need some positivity on this site every now and then!

Yeah, NO JOKE! Sometimes I get a little down when I'm reading everybody's posts on here... Nothing against them, but if I read too much of those then their thoughts become my own, and I start to think the same things they do. I start wondering if what they say people think about them is thought about me also. Stuff like that. So I have to stay away from threads that have a very demoralizing-sounding title, and posts that might take me down a downward spiral.

I'm still recovering from the setback that I had starting in mid-October; it's stuck around till now, and I waded through some pretty thick depression. New Years was bad because I wanted to be happy and sociable for my family since I seldom ever get to see them, but my face was as tight as a rope, voice as shaky as an earthquake, eye contact as elusive as a hummingbird.

But I've begun getting better in the last few days. It may be the winter that has aided in the tumble, but in the past few days I've found great help from:

1) Exercising. Few nights ago I ran a mile pretty fast, then walked along back home daydreaming about the play I'm writing, where I want the story to go.

2) Avoiding negative thoughts/emotions about my SA. Even if I start to feel very high-strung and uptight and nervous around someone, ALTHOUGH I have every reason to feel frustrated that I can't bring myself out around them, that frustration, anger, sadness, and depression will only help keep my mind centered and focused on my negative feelings. If I rehash the past, bemoan and cry over my fate, try to force myself into uncomfortable situations, etc.... Anxiety will win. So instead, I choose to accept myself as I am, flaws and all-- while realizing that, as I've said up above, anxiety doesn't affect my personality at all, only keeps it from coming to the surface.

The way I see it, what I've said up above is not on the offensive against anxiety, but on the defensive against it. In other words, not working to get rid of it, but mitigating its effect on me. I think I'll start to go on the offensive against it when I learn how to expose myself gently to gradually more and more anxiety-producing situations and turn the tables on my negative thoughts. But I think that for now the most important thing is to get a good grip on the reins of my feelings and thoughts, because if I go out there with no control over which direction my thinking goes, or at least with no skill in ignoring the negative thoughts and in reinforcing the positive ones, then I'll get clobbered.

But of course, I HAVE to find a job... I need one pretty badly. Whether or not I get anxious in it is outweighed by the fact that it's better than sitting around doing nothing all day while both of my roommates are out working all the time.

Phoenixx

That's awesome spaceboy :) Good luck on the job apps! Yeah, I sometimes get those moments too, and I enjoy every second of them. Just like today I had at least 2 of those types of moments. The first one I was talking to my principal at school and I looked him in the eyes. I felt no nervousness, no shaking, nothing but a clear state of mind. It was great. Same with English class today. I was asked to read aloud (Which I normally hate), but today I didn't mind it. I liked it, for once. I felt so calm, no pressure, no racing pulse, no racing mind, no nervousness, no shaking. It was awesome. :) Now if only I could be like that all the time...

JosephG

Spaceboy I loved reading your post. I can relate to it so much. Those moments where you just burst out of your bubble because you actually forget you are in it.
I think obsessing/thinking about SA and starting to label yourself as a person with it is very limiting. You stop attempting to try and reach outside your bubble and you don't make any progress...

anyway what you said made me smile and filled me with hope. Keep on posting dude!