Small Whine-Avert not perfect

margiehope

I'm usually a big cheerleader for Avert.

We've been having a long stretch of hot and humid weather. I have to remember how lousy things used to be, because I really hate that my head and neck are sweaty. Not soaking or with sweat beads popping off my face, like the bad old days, but enough.::(:

I really don't want to up the meds--have been using Certain Dri on my hairline/neck area, which helps a little.:rolleyes:

I've been used to minimal sweating, so just hate to revisit the unpleasant past, even in part.

Whine!

Last edited:

rusty

Hi Margie,
I haven't been on for a while but I just wanted to tell you....same here.
With the heat and humidity the dreaded wet hair returned!!
Not as bad as before and if I apply 3% Secure Wipes at night before going to bed, using a rat tail comb to make 1/2 inch separations, like getting your roots colored, i can control it.
I find the wipes last a lot longer than the pills and because i have to eat 6 small meals a day the logistics are easier. It's a little kinder than Certain Dri to your skin, too. Still get the red face, though. Nothing's perfect.
You're entitled to a couple of whines, btw.

SweatParty

Avert (brand name of glycopyrrolate) has worked almost 100% for me while indoors, and very much of the time while outdoors. However, in this high heat and humidity, my hands have definitely been sweaty on numerous occasions while outside. One thing I notice is that the hands will dry off more quickly. Without the medication, my hands might remain sweaty for the rest of the day.

I'm still trying to get an ionto machine to add to my glyco treatment.

margiehope

Hey Rusty,

Thanks for your reply. I thought of the Secure pads--the ones I had were ancient and not really wet enough.

So you use the pads instead of Avert? Not sure I'd be brave enough to do that, though it sounds right for you.

Anyway, the good news is that the weather is cooler and less humid--yay!

-M.

rusty

It's funny but i started with Secure Wipes and had aprehension about the pills.
I like the Wipes because i can apply them directly to the areas of most need. If i apply at night i will be dry for a day and a half with no touch up.
As for the remark about 'normal people sweat too' no one would be on this forum uless they perspired excessively and imo if you can't say something helpful, keep it zipped.

tbanner523

Maybe you should switch up your Certain dry with Drysol, which has a higher aluminum content. It may increase irritation, but there are some remedies to combat this, like lotion.

In addition, maybe you could order Secure Wipes at a low dose (i.e., 1-2%), and combine it while taking the Avert.

These all increase the risk of side-effects, but if you tinker, you might find an acceptable trade off.

That is all a lot of us have to deal with -- trade offs.

I have full body hyperhidrosis that I can't really do anything about (I've tried just about everything). But, my pharmacist recently compounded a solution of Drysol with 40% aluminum chloride (as opposed to the typical 20%). This gives me mild relief of my palmar sweating. I should stress minor relief :) My hands are still cold and clammy, they just don't bead up with sweat.

For the rest of my body, I haven't found a systemic drug that has been effective at low to medium dosages. Both Ditropan and Chlonidine dry me out to an extent, but only at very high dosages. The trade off with regard to side effects (e.g., fatigue, dry eyes, dry mouth, some memory issues), has not been worth it.

I'm always on a quest to feel comfortable again. It's been about eight years since my HH has gotten out of control. But keep looking, you may find a combo that works.

Last edited:

margiehope

Maybe you should switch up your Certain dry with Drysol, which has a higher aluminum content. It may increase irritation, but there are some remedies to combat this, like lotion.

In addition, maybe you could order Secure Wipes at a low dose (i.e., 1-2%), and combine it while taking the Avert.

These all increase the risk of side-effects, but if you tinker, you might find an acceptable trade off.

That is all a lot of us have to deal with -- trade offs.

I have full body hyperhidrosis that I can't really do anything about (I've tried just about everything). But, my pharmacist recently compounded a solution of Drysol with 40% aluminum chloride (as opposed to the typical 20%). This gives me mild relief of my palmar sweating. I should stress minor relief :) My hands are still cold and clammy, they just don't bead up with sweat.

For the rest of my body, I haven't found a systemic drug that has been effective at low to medium dosages. Both Ditropan and Chlonidine dry me out to an extent, but only at very high dosages. The trade off with regard to side effects (e.g., fatigue, dry eyes, dry mouth, some memory issues), has not been worth it.

I'm always on a quest to feel comfortable again. It's been about eight years since my HH has gotten out of control. But keep looking, you may find a combo that works.

Thanks so much--I will try the low dose Secure pads--Not sure about Drysol on my scalp --is there a spray?

Well, you have more to deal with than I do, so I'll make my whine even more teensy. All the best.

margiehope

It's funny but i started with Secure Wipes and had aprehension about the pills.
I like the Wipes because i can apply them directly to the areas of most need. If i apply at night i will be dry for a day and a half with no touch up.
As for the remark about 'normal people sweat too' no one would be on this forum uless they perspired excessively and imo if you can't say something helpful, keep it zipped.

I agree about the "zip it up" attitude.

I actually did start off with Secure pads too, but they really didn't help enough with the soaking hair bit. Avert's been great--mostly. I too would rather not add to my meds, but the difference has been so great. I'll try one of the antiperspirants at night--hadn't really thought of that--and maybe get a low dose of Secure pads just to "top things up".